Pats Seem to be Focusing on a QB

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The word going around is that the Pats are collecting independent scouting evals on QBs. They spent a lot of time at the all star games watching and talking to QBs. The consensus was they didn‘t come away excited. Their biggest hope is rumors are true that Washington doesn’t want another NC prospect. If Washington either takes Daniels or trades up for Williams, they hope the Bears see Daniels as a better fit for their offense, leaving Maye for them. I think that’s wishful thinking. However, if Daniels has built out his frame a little and throws well for scouts, it’s not out of the question. There’s also a possibility the NYG trade with the Pats and grab Harrison. I’m also hearing Cards‘ coaches are lobbying for a WR, while Ossenfort still prefers an OT. The Cards did spend time at the All Star games with several OL guys. If they’re confident with Johnson at LT, they could wait until 27 or even 35 to go OT. They like Beachum as a fallback.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
cant see Beach as a fallback. His entire value is as a swing tackle...go into the season with him as starter and that value is gone.

WR and OT in the top 3 picks makes sense
I disagree. He's a decent fall back. He's honestly been one of the Cardinals better tackles over their Arizona existence. He's not great mind you, but he's pretty solid. A real pros pro.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I disagree. He's a decent fall back. He's honestly been one of the Cardinals better tackles over their Arizona existence. He's not great mind you, but he's pretty solid. A real pros pro.
You can put him in there and know he won't embarrass himself.

Praying that Harrison falls to us, and Monti makes the right choice.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Beachum is okay but then we have zero depth at OT. I would prefer for the Oline being good to great instead of okay.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Exactly. I've never seen Beachum be a "bad" player. I've seen some good games and some not so good games, but he isn't below average by any means.
Beach is a solid tackle...and he is solid on both sides...which is rare. Thats why his value is as a swing tackle and not as a full time starter. It frees up a roster spot.
he should be at best an emergency plan...if our rookie craps the bed in camp or gets a nasty injury... but under zero circumstances should we go into camp with Beach penciled in as the starter.,

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Beachum is okay but then we have zero depth at OT. I would prefer for the Oline being good to great instead of okay.
It's unlikely we do nothing else at OT this offseason if the prognosis on Humphries is what we all expect. Here's what I expect to happen in order of most to least likely:

1) We draft a tackle prospect in rounds 3-6 and he competes with Denis Daley for the backup/swing tackle role
2) We draft a right tackle prospect in rounds 1-2 and slot them in immediately
3) We sign George Fant (HOU)/Cornelius Lucas (WAS)/Cameron Fleming to a 2-year, $8 million contract with $4 million guaranteed to compete with Beachum and Daley for the starting role

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's unlikely we do nothing else at OT this offseason if the prognosis on Humphries is what we all expect. Here's what I expect to happen in order of most to least likely:

1) We draft a tackle prospect in rounds 3-6 and he competes with Denis Daley for the backup/swing tackle role
2) We draft a right tackle prospect in rounds 1-2 and slot them in immediately
3) We sign George Fant (HOU)/Cornelius Lucas (WAS)/Cameron Fleming to a 2-year, $8 million contract with $4 million guaranteed to compete with Beachum and Daley for the starting role
Any scenario that upgrades the RT and keeps Beachum as the swing OT is what I want.
I doubt any OT drafted in rd 3 or later would be an upgrade over Beachum for this year. I don't know enough about the available FA RTs to know if they are upgrades over Beachum.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Beach is a solid tackle...and he is solid on both sides...which is rare. Thats why his value is as a swing tackle and not as a full time starter. It frees up a roster spot.
he should be at best an emergency plan...if our rookie craps the bed in camp or gets a nasty injury... but under zero circumstances should we go into camp with Beach penciled in as the starter.,
I definitely agree that his strength is being a swing tackle, but the Cardinals could do a lot worse, and I'm not exaggerating.

The point is that Beachum is still a fine option, but not the optimal option.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
my opinion is that Beach gives the team the option of waiting until pick 27 or 35 to get a tackle and know that the rookie doesnt have to start week 1
Right . There should be guys who can start at RT in those spots...but, just in case they need a few more weeks.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Would it be sad if the oline coach was stumping for Joe Alt?
It depends on the context. I have no issue with building a board and the o-line coach advocating for Alt to be the top OL. I do have an issue with anyone who watched the offense last year and thinks OT is a bigger need than WR AND think Alt is a better prospect than MHJ.

Also, the more I think on it, if you aren't comfortable with flipping PJJ to the LT spot, you probably crapped the bed by trading up for him in round 1 last year.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It depends on the context. I have no issue with building a board and the o-line coach advocating for Alt to be the top OL. I do have an issue with anyone who watched the offense last year and thinks OT is a bigger need than WR AND think Alt is a better prospect than MHJ.

Also, the more I think on it, if you aren't comfortable with flipping PJJ to the LT spot, you probably crapped the bed by trading up for him in round 1 last year.
Who we drafted last year isn't relevant. Coaches look at players available and pound the table for who they want. Monti has to listen then buy the groceries he thinks help the team the most.
This draft has deep quality at both OT and WR...we should get at least one of each in our top three picks .
I would double up on WR...
But drafting Alt doesn't reflect poorly on the PJ pick at all. We needed an OT upgrade last year... preferably one who could replace Hump at LT in a couple years...so we picked him.
But now we are in the same situation of needing an OT...and the prospects available are better than they were last year....we need a LT now...not in a couple years.
You pick the best players for your team from the talent available

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The word going around is that the Pats are collecting independent scouting evals on QBs. They spent a lot of time at the all star games watching and talking to QBs. The consensus was they didn‘t come away excited. Their biggest hope is rumors are true that Washington doesn’t want another NC prospect. If Washington either takes Daniels or trades up for Williams, they hope the Bears see Daniels as a better fit for their offense, leaving Maye for them. I think that’s wishful thinking. However, if Daniels has built out his frame a little and throws well for scouts, it’s not out of the question. There’s also a possibility the NYG trade with the Pats and grab Harrison. I’m also hearing Cards‘ coaches are lobbying for a WR, while Ossenfort still prefers an OT. The Cards did spend time at the All Star games with several OL guys. If they’re confident with Johnson at LT, they could wait until 27 or even 35 to go OT. They like Beachum as a fallback.

Which coaches?

Petzing and the receivers coach, I can imagine. But why wouldn't the O-line coach argue for more help there?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If I’m being honest, I don’t even think Alt is a better prospect than Nabers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson