Round One Conundrums

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
While the Cards must wait at 4 until the previous picks are made, those above are mired in internal debates.

I believe Chicago has resolved the Fields issue, though not publicly. They would prefer to trade him if they can find a taker. That’s a big if. The second question they must resolve is sorting through trade options. If they keep the pick there seems little doubt they choose Williams.

Turning to the trade options they need to decide several issues. Are they confident with any of the second level QBs, like Nix? He’s a solid game manager who some analysts believe could be adequate for a defense first team. The Bears have their own pick at 9 and several teams not too far below that which would offer QB options. And a trade of that nature would likely bring back their first from the trade partner as well as at least 2 future number ones. If they take the deal they likely hang on to Fields one more season while grooming the QB selected. I believe this type of trade is a long shot. Admitting you need a QB, but passing on the best available choice seems likely to put somebody’s job on the line if Williams excels.

The next scenario also makes little sense to me. It maintains Washington doesn’t want another NC developed QB. They would be open to quite a bit of criticism for making the same mistake twice, if Maye fails. On the other hand, Williams would seem better suited to the Bears’ current offense. Whereas Maye would seem a better fit for Washington’s pocket passing offense. Maye is not a statue. He should be fine in the Washington offense. I can’t see Washington giving up enough in picks to prompt the Bears to trade away Williams.

My gut feeling is both these teams stay put and take the likely QBs. Keep in mind it’s very hard to become an NFL GM. There are only 32 jobs. For most it took years of hard work to get there. Both Chicago and Washington have PR issues. Tossing away a chance to lock up a consensus top QB is a huge gamble. Don’t ever disregard that’s what Ossenfort did when he gave Murray a shot. It’s true he likely would get another chance this season, but watching what happened to the Texas pick tells you passing is always a gamble.

So that brings us to New England. They have massive needs. They could trade the pick, especially if some team wants Daniels. I think that choice won’t be resolved until he throws, most likely at a Pro Day or private workout. I think it unlikely he throws at the Combine. So who needs a QB. Clearly Atlanta, Minnesota and Denver seem to have certain QB needs. The Giants, Patriots and the Raiders are debating that need. So if New England doesn’t take a QB, they might trade down. A few drafts have them taking Harrison. I see that as unlikely. It seems most likely they trade down to a team needing a QB. They could likely trade with the Giants or Falcons and still get a top OT, which I believe is their primary target. Of course if they think the Cards go OT, that won’t work with Atlanta, as Tennessee also seems poised to take an OT.

The Cards have the fourth pick. The most confusing part of all of this is what will Ossenfort do? The problem is we don’t know him very well. I’ve posted previously that the guys I know who have experience with him have insisted all along he’ll take an OT. When the Cards had the second pick a trade down would have been obvious. Looking at the early selectors, New England, Tennessee & the Jets all need an OT. The Bears and Giants need a guard, so they could take a tackle and move him inside. In any case if Ossenfort wants a specific OT he may have to take him at 4.

Of course Ossenfort has to work with his coaches. While Gannon definitely leans to defense he is fairly heavily invested in Murray. To succeed Murray needs weapons. Nothing could have made that clearer than the performance of the current WRs. While I’m enamored of Dortch, he’s a role player; a backup. The biggest mystery is Wilson. He played in 13 games, starting 12. In 5 he had 2 or fewer receptions. In only 4 games did he have more than 3 receptions. Much of the time he was invisible. There’s little point in reliving the last 2 games other than to say something changed about Wilson. He finally attacked the game. Whether he can sustain that momentum and also avoid injury is a major unknown. Essentially the IMO Cards need at least 3 new WRs. Whether Ossenfort feels compelled to make this a major focus of his draft plan remains to be seen. I think it’s better than even money Harrison is still on the board at 4. One thing is certain. If that is the case this draft will significantly define the philosophy of Ossenfort.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Williams and Maye are going 1-2. It just not sure who will be selecting them. I think it will be Chicago and Washington.
I've been pretty clear on my stance. If Marvin is there at 4 and Monti passes on him, he should never make another pick for the Cardinals. You'd be passing on the best player in the draft at your biggest need position.
I'd even be in favor of giving NE a 3rd round pick to move up to #3 and select MHJ. The Cards have the most draft capital in the draft. Use it to acquire the best talent. That trade would give NE their OT too. Makes sense on both sides.

netsnjkidd

Veteran
Reaction score
Always forgot about the possibility the Pats trade out of that pick. Really good chance Marv is there at 4

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Williams and Maye are going 1-2. It just not sure who will be selecting them. I think it will be Chicago and Washington.
I've been pretty clear on my stance. If Marvin is there at 4 and Monti passes on him, he should never make another pick for the Cardinals. You'd be passing on the best player in the draft at your biggest need position.
I'd even be in favor of giving NE a 3rd round pick to move up to #3 and select MHJ. The Cards have the most draft capital in the draft. Use it to acquire the best talent. That trade would give NE their OT too. Makes sense on both sides.
Totally agree. Although it would sting, I love MHJ enough that I would be ok with losing a 3rd to guarantee we get him. But best case would be for the QB's to go 1-3 and we end up with Marvin at 4

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Cardinals draft MHJ, Michael Bidwill would be able to save a few bucks and just let him wear his current OSU white jersey and no one would be the wiser:

You must be registered for see images attach

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The next scenario also makes little sense to me. It maintains Washington doesn’t want another NC developed QB.

What is ironic - the Bears don't want another NC QB (Trubisky) or to pass up on a guy that is being compared to Mahomes (Caleb).

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
They would want 35 I bet cuz if he ends up a star and pats do that for a third they would riot

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
KYLER needs protection and weapons in that order.

Moving Paris to LT and finding a RT may be the approach, and drafting a plug-an-play LT another.

I think we'll get an inking of the likely decision between now and the draft.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Cardinals draft MHJ, Michael Bidwill would be able to save a few bucks and just let him wear his current OSU white jersey and no one would be the wiser:

That's BJ'S number! They should fight over it

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

They're not handing out gold jackets on draft night.

Protecting KM is issue #1... weapons #2.

I want MHJ and think he'll be the selection if there at #4.

If not, I'm not going to freak if we select a plug-and-play LT who will be playing every snap or, depending on the FA offseason, trade down.

There are other premium-quality pass receivers in the draft.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While the Cards must wait at 4 until the previous picks are made, those above are mired in internal debates.

I believe Chicago has resolved the Fields issue, though not publicly. They would prefer to trade him if they can find a taker. That’s a big if. The second question they must resolve is sorting through trade options. If they keep the pick there seems little doubt they choose Williams.

Turning to the trade options they need to decide several issues. Are they confident with any of the second level QBs, like Nix? He’s a solid game manager who some analysts believe could be adequate for a defense first team. The Bears have their own pick at 9 and several teams not too far below that which would offer QB options. And a trade of that nature would likely bring back their first from the trade partner as well as at least 2 future number ones. If they take the deal they likely hang on to Fields one more season while grooming the QB selected. I believe this type of trade is a long shot. Admitting you need a QB, but passing on the best available choice seems likely to put somebody’s job on the line if Williams excels.

The next scenario also makes little sense to me. It maintains Washington doesn’t want another NC developed QB. They would be open to quite a bit of criticism for making the same mistake twice, if Maye fails. On the other hand, Williams would seem better suited to the Bears’ current offense. Whereas Maye would seem a better fit for Washington’s pocket passing offense. Maye is not a statue. He should be fine in the Washington offense. I can’t see Washington giving up enough in picks to prompt the Bears to trade away Williams.

My gut feeling is both these teams stay put and take the likely QBs. Keep in mind it’s very hard to become an NFL GM. There are only 32 jobs. For most it took years of hard work to get there. Both Chicago and Washington have PR issues. Tossing away a chance to lock up a consensus top QB is a huge gamble. Don’t ever disregard that’s what Ossenfort did when he gave Murray a shot. It’s true he likely would get another chance this season, but watching what happened to the Texas pick tells you passing is always a gamble.

So that brings us to New England. They have massive needs. They could trade the pick, especially if some team wants Daniels. I think that choice won’t be resolved until he throws, most likely at a Pro Day or private workout. I think it unlikely he throws at the Combine. So who needs a QB. Clearly Atlanta, Minnesota and Denver seem to have certain QB needs. The Giants, Patriots and the Raiders are debating that need. So if New England doesn’t take a QB, they might trade down. A few drafts have them taking Harrison. I see that as unlikely. It seems most likely they trade down to a team needing a QB. They could likely trade with the Giants or Falcons and still get a top OT, which I believe is their primary target. Of course if they think the Cards go OT, that won’t work with Atlanta, as Tennessee also seems poised to take an OT.

The Cards have the fourth pick. The most confusing part of all of this is what will Ossenfort do? The problem is we don’t know him very well. I’ve posted previously that the guys I know who have experience with him have insisted all along he’ll take an OT. When the Cards had the second pick a trade down would have been obvious. Looking at the early selectors, New England, Tennessee & the Jets all need an OT. The Bears and Giants need a guard, so they could take a tackle and move him inside. In any case if Ossenfort wants a specific OT he may have to take him at 4.

Of course Ossenfort has to work with his coaches. While Gannon definitely leans to defense he is fairly heavily invested in Murray. To succeed Murray needs weapons. Nothing could have made that clearer than the performance of the current WRs. While I’m enamored of Dortch, he’s a role player; a backup. The biggest mystery is Wilson. He played in 13 games, starting 12. In 5 he had 2 or fewer receptions. In only 4 games did he have more than 3 receptions. Much of the time he was invisible. There’s little point in reliving the last 2 games other than to say something changed about Wilson. He finally attacked the game. Whether he can sustain that momentum and also avoid injury is a major unknown. Essentially the IMO Cards need at least 3 new WRs. Whether Ossenfort feels compelled to make this a major focus of his draft plan remains to be seen. I think it’s better than even money Harrison is still on the board at 4. One thing is certain. If that is the case this draft will significantly define the philosophy of Ossenfort.
Harry, I will die if we pass on MHJ. It will be even worse if we don’t land Odunze.
I think we need 2 wr’s. I’m willing to take a chance on Wilson as our #3, but not our #2. If he were to blossom into a true #2 receiver, great.
I’m hoping for a f/A wr that can be our #2. I won’t be happy about it but I’m getting this feeling Brown is going to return.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score

Unpopular Opinion:

Cardinals' White Uniforms >>>> Ohio State's White Unis

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Harry, I will die if we pass on MHJ. It will be even worse if we don’t land Odunze.
I think we need 2 wr’s. I’m willing to take a chance on Wilson as our #3, but not our #2. If he were to blossom into a true #2 receiver, great.
I’m hoping for a f/A wr that can be our #2. I won’t be happy about it but I’m getting this feeling Brown is going to return.
slanidrac16 - check your DMs...

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great points on both sides of the MHJ is LT debate. Although I usually lean to trench players I would like to have another super star WR on the team.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Great points on both sides of the MHJ is LT debate. Although I usually lean to trench players I would like to have another super star WR on the team.
Not much of a debate. Similar to the Bengals a few years ago when they were said to be deciding between JaMar Chase and Penei Sewell.

Anyone here think Sewell should have been the choice?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Agree. While my mind tells me Alt is the pick simply because a wr doesn't affect the game when your qb is on his ass....my heart vividly remembers every time I saw an unbelievable catch and yelled out, "LARRY!!" ....or the confidence on 4th and 6 that #11 was going to catch whatever was thrown at him and save the day.

I have this wall in my mind that blocks out the fact that for over half his career Larry's main job was to bail out and pad stats for a bunch of shoe salesmen trying to make it as backup quarterback....because if we had a good starter...he was out with a concussion...because our oline SUCKED

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we will draft MHJ at #4 if he is there. Michael Bidwill will override whatever else MO may want to do. Lets get real here, MB knows that signing MHJ will increase season tickets revenue and also increase the national media exposure for the Cards. It is all about money. The fan base will be much more excited about MHJ than an OT. So will be the media.

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we will draft MHJ at #4 if he is there. Michael Bidwill will override whatever else MO may want to do. Lets get real here, MB knows that signing MHJ will increase season tickets revenue and also increase the national media exposure for the Cards. It all as up to money!!
Well for once, most of us won’t be upset.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Not much of a debate. Similar to the Bengals a few years ago when they were said to be deciding between JaMar Chase and Penei Sewell.

Anyone here think Sewell should have been the choice?

Joe Burrow has been one of the most sacked QB's in the NFL and has had 2 season ending injuries.

Sewell gave up 1 sack in 2023 and Orlando Brown gave up 7.

I am sure Burrow loves his college teammate and is rooting for him from the sidelines.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Joe Burrow has been one of the most sacked QB's in the NFL and has had 2 season ending injuries.

Sewell gave up 1 sack in 2023 and Orlando Brown gave up 7.

I am sure Burrow loves his college teammate and is rooting for him from the sidelines.
Who was that RT on the Bengals Super Bowl team??? I'm sure he was cheering loudly as Chase dominated the playoff run. I'm guessing the Rams defense in that Super Bowl were much more worried about the RT(whoever he was)than Chase beating them.

Burrow tore up his knee his rookie season before Chase or Sewell so that is irrelevant. This injury was a wrist injury not related to being hit.
Sewell is also playing RT not LT. Thus, less sacks allowed.

So you're saying, you'd rather have Sewell than Chase? Got it!!

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
So you're saying, you'd rather have Sewell than Chase? Got it!!

I am very intrigued by having a dominant offensive line for the first time in a long time (70's?).

I would love to have Chase or MHJ but right now I am leaning towards Alt (if Monti thinks he is a difference maker).

Having a dominant Oline gives us:
Protection for Kyler - he needs it.
A dominant run game to control games, impose our will, and allow Kyler to play action and run when needed.

I wish we could have both (MHJ and Alt).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson