No Need to Draft a QB?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean I agree with this, but I don't know how to explain this exactly - while Fitz and Wilson might be comparable in their speed - they are both slow, you can absolutely tell Wilson will never be on Fitz's level already because Fitz was like a vacumn when the ball was anywhere in his vicinity. You need that ability to make up for a lack of speed.

Need to save this one.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
If you're a good "route runner" it doesn't matter if you're on a college or NFL field - good route runners create separation - and they don't need Olympic speed to do it - plenty of rookie WRs have come straight out of college are very successful in the NFL - right away

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If you're a good "route runner" it doesn't matter if you're on a college or NFL field - good route runners create separation - and they don't need Olympic speed to do it - plenty of rookie WRs have come straight out of college are very successful in the NFL - right away
I think a good college route runner becomes a competent NFL receiver immediately, but they still have to improve their craft once they get into the league.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look, a team like Cincy has Chase and Higgins. They also have Boyd who isn’t going to supplant either one of those guys but he can definitely do damage.

Defenses at this point can ALWAYS double Brown and although Wilson can make plays he can also be neutralized because that’s all we got.

Moore is useless unless you’re hitting him in stride on crossing patterns. If he is standing still he will catch the ball, dance around for 30 seconds and get tackled. Pascal is no threat at all.

We talk about the o-line but our receiving room might be one of the weakest in the league. If we don’t improve the talent at wr it puts more on Kyler.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think the concern with Wilson isn't really where he ranks against Fitz and Boldin. Just making that comparison right now is insane. He's not as good as those guys.

10 Games into Fitz's rookie season he had 73 targets, 38 receptions, 557 yards, and 4 TDs. Michael Wilson has 39 targets, 28 receptions, 435 yards and 2 TDs. Obviously different eras, and one was the 3rd overall pick and one was a 3rd round pick.

I'm more interested and interrogating the facts that Wilson is 15th among rookies in receptions and 7th among rookies in yardage. Makes sense that he's being less productive than Jordan Addison and Zay Flowers for the same reason it makes sense that Boldin and Fitz were more productive.

I expected Wilson to have a start to his career like Puka Nacua's, not to get outpaced by Tank Dell and Josh Downs. Hopefully he gets more reps with Kyler and earns more of a spotlight.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I think the concern with Wilson isn't really where he ranks against Fitz and Boldin. Just making that comparison right now is insane. He's not as good as those guys.

10 Games into Fitz's rookie season he had 73 targets, 38 receptions, 557 yards, and 4 TDs. Michael Wilson has 39 targets, 28 receptions, 435 yards and 2 TDs. Obviously different eras, and one was the 3rd overall pick and one was a 3rd round pick.

I'm more interested and interrogating the facts that Wilson is 15th among rookies in receptions and 7th among rookies in yardage. Makes sense that he's being less productive than Jordan Addison and Zay Flowers for the same reason it makes sense that Boldin and Fitz were more productive.

I expected Wilson to have a start to his career like Puka Nacua's, not to get outpaced by Tank Dell and Josh Downs. Hopefully he gets more reps with Kyler and earns more of a spotlight.
I wasn't making a comparison between Bolding and Wilson amigo - just saying you don't have to be a track star to be successful your rookie year and quality route running in college can translate to the League immediately

I don't think Wilson is a Bolding/Fitz level #1 WR - but I do think Wilson would have better success with a legit #1 WR on the field

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I wasn't making a comparison between Bolding and Wilson amigo - just saying you don't have to be a track star to be successful your rookie year and quality route running in college can translate to the League immediately

I don't think Wilson is a Bolding/Fitz level #1 WR - but I do think Wilson would have better success with a legit #1 WR on the field
It seems like a lot of people on this thread might not understand what "comparison" literally means.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This seems to contradict itself.

On one hand you say 7th among rookies in yardage (he 6th for WR actually) and that it's understandable he's not outpacing Addison etc but then that you expected to have a start like Nacua who has the best start to a career of any rookie WR ever.

Tank Dell was taken 25 picks higher. Josh Downs was taken 15 picks higher. Why would you expect Wilson to be automatically better?

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’m a long way from accepting Wilson as a number one receiver, but he could be a Proehl-type possession receiver and maybe a little more. I’ve been pushing for Wilson to get more targets, but a stronger overall receiver group could lift everyone.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I’m a long way from accepting Wilson as a number one receiver, but he could be a Proehl-type possession receiver and maybe a little more. I’ve been pushing for Wilson to get more targets, but a stronger overall receiver group could lift everyone.

All three primary WR spots are up in the air (big time) and that is not good.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Eh Josh Downs and Tank Dell have had better passers throwing them the ball.

Despite the medias love affair now with Joshua Dobbs, he is still averaging 150 yards passing per game this year.

With Murray, I'd expect his numbers to go up, but they might not since Murray might realize that McBride could be the go to receiver among his receivers.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Eh Josh Downs and Tank Dell have had better passers throwing them the ball.

Despite the medias love affair now with Joshua Dobbs, he is still averaging 150 yards passing per game this year.

With Murray, I'd expect his numbers to go up, but they might not since Murray might realize that McBride could be the go to receiver among his receivers.
I'm less worried about Wilson shouldering aside McBride for targets than I am Rondale Moore.

I'm fine with Michael Wilson being the 3rd target in the offense. Based on his draft position and what I thought I saw in the preseason, I'm not stoked if he's fourth.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

yes is difficult and early to make comparison
Moreover before Murray we averaged 150 passing yards for game, and he got few targets cause of the inability to make medium long throws

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
yes is difficult and early to make comparison
Moreover before Murray we averaged 150 passing yards for game, and he got few targets cause of the inability to make medium long throws
He was making the most of the targets he got. If he can't run vertical routes Kyler is going to have a hard time finding him on the outside, unfortunately.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was making the most of the targets he got. If he can't run vertical routes Kyler is going to have a hard time finding him on the outside, unfortunately.
Just say the comparison is unfair, cause before kyler the passing game was way below the mediocre level
He made the most of his targets, but were really few targets for being wr2

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Just say the comparison is unfair, cause before kyler the passing game was way below the mediocre level
He made the most of his targets, but were really few targets for being wr2
I don't think the comparison is unfair. I don't see how or why Michael Wilson's role in the offense has fallen off a cliff in the past 45 days since the San Francisco performance. I think it's a fair question to ask.

Joshua Dobbs was the quarterback for those games, too.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I mean I agree with this, but I don't know how to explain this exactly - while Fitz and Wilson might be comparable in their speed - they are both slow, you can absolutely tell Wilson will never be on Fitz's level already because Fitz was like a vacumn when the ball was anywhere in his vicinity. You need that ability to make up for a lack of speed.
Larry had a huge catch radius and tentacles for fingers... with a nice vert....wilson does not appear to have those things.
Larry is bound for canton because he worked very hard and improved his route skills to supplement his physical skills.
wilson does work hard and runs good routes.
But Mike Wilson is not likely headed to Canton. Not being a future Hall of Fame guy does not however make him a bad WR. Plenty of guys have good NFL careers without being superstars

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Kyler said he underthrew the pass, so...if the player is open for a TD and the QB said he underthrew the ball, I'm going with the ball being underthrown lol
That's fair. I didn't see Kyler say that. Sounds like both guys were trying to take some blame. That is encouraging at least

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I was listening to an NFL WR talk about speed for a WR. He said it's actually overrated because if you run a good route, even a faster guy will fall off and you'll get open. The same can't be said about a slow CB. He's going to get beat at times that way.
Michael Irvin did a demonstration about this about the combine years back. How large, slower WRs have to run vertical routes against faster DBs to create separation. It was pretty fascinating.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Oh yes, this was the other reason I was arguing hard for taking Big Ben--we already had this guy! All in all, I'm happy we had Fitz.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I don't think the comparison is unfair. I don't see how or why Michael Wilson's role in the offense has fallen off a cliff in the past 45 days since the San Francisco performance. I think it's a fair question to ask.

Joshua Dobbs was the quarterback for those games, too.
purely speculation on my part. But if the coaches are evaluating its possible they are calling certain guys numbers more in games to see how they match up. I noticed Rondale got what seemed like a lot more looks from the wr position against atlanta...Trey definitely got more looks. Its possible Wilson has just been the third read the past few games because the coaches know what they needed to know from him.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

BOLDIN!