No Need to Draft a QB?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’m sure after Murray played an unbelievable game, some people are thinking the Cards have their QB. As Lee Corso loves to say, “Not so fast, my friend.” I certainly hope they do. Murray was amazing coming back from an ACL injury. That said, I want to see more. Murray certainly answered many questions. He was mostly comfortable under center, though I thought the interception might have been caused by his hurrying his setup at the end of his drop back. His intended rollouts looked clean. His arm was strong. He used progressions & audibles. So why am I hesitant to fully endorse, as he was clearly improved. It was clear the Falcons forgot who Murray was. They rushed with reckless abandon as most teams did when Murray first arrived. After awhile teams learned to rush in a disciplined fashion, forcing Murray to beat them passing. Of course sometimes he also ran into sacks when being pressured in that fashion.

Murray is a great athlete. He has all the tools. I want to see him face a team that keeps him in the pocket and dials up the pressure. Can he retain his composure? Can he shift to create throwing lanes? Will he take a hit to complete a pass? Should he? The Falcons were exactly the type of defenders Murray has spent a career embarrassing. The Niners, for example, won’t give him that edge.

Do keep in mind this won’t easily be answered this season. The Cards still have a poor roster. This game would have looked way different if they were playing Cleveland again. To win Murray must be given more surrounding talent. The problem is you have to wait at least a year to answer if he’s the man. The Cards will have to take a leap of faith. At the moment Murray is still vastly entertaining. If teams lose their focus, he’ll best them. I’ll do a game wrap with many more observations. Just know winning wasn’t a bad thing. I also know Kingsbury should be held criminally negligent for setting back Murray’s career.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was at the game and very happy that they won and Murray played very well. Agree that we need more time to see how he does against some tougher completion. But this is the first step back and I loved how he played. We aslo have to take into consideration that his supporting cast is not very good.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering it was his first game back I thought he operated the offense and performed well.
I still think putting him under center more than we did is so beneficial to him and the offense especially if we are running the ball well.

He will get better as the reps build. Imagine if we had a true #1 WR to go along with Brown, Wilson,McBride, Connor and a bolstered the o-line!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Considering it was his first game back I thought he operated the offense and performed well.
I still think putting him under center more than we did is so beneficial to him and the offense especially if we are running the ball well.

He will get better as the reps build. Imagine if we had a true #1 WR to go along with Brown, Wilson,McBride, Connor and a bolstered the o-line!
Lol...or a true #1 RB.....

Imagine Bijan in the backfield with Kyler

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I love Connor. I want him here but he needs help. If we depend solely on Connor he will break down as many rb’s do. When he’s out it’s a dramatic drop off.
I like JC too.
But he ain't fast and he ain't young. Neither of those can be fixed.

Would really like to get an all around guy..6"2 225 with enough speed to take the corner.....that can pick up a blitz.
But, I would settle for a greased lightning scatback to split time with JC

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Connor. I want him here but he needs help. If we depend solely on Connor he will break down as many rb’s do. When he’s out it’s a dramatic drop off.
In today's NFL, you need that thunder and lighting combo. Connor needs help and is at the tail end of his career.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josh Weinfuss

Kyler Murray said there was a miscommunication on the throw to Trey McBride that was intercepted. They had not worked on that play before so Murray said McBride was right to keep running even though he could've sat down in coverage.

WOW that is definitely new Murray. Defended his teammate on the bad play and takes the blame.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’m sure after Murray played an unbelievable game, some people are thinking the Cards have their QB. As Lee Corso loves to say, “Not so fast, my friend.” I certainly hope they do. Murray was amazing coming back from an ACL injury. That said, I want to see more. Murray certainly answered many questions. He was mostly comfortable under center, though I thought the interception might have been caused by his hurrying his setup at the end of his drop back. His intended rollouts looked clean. His arm was strong. He used progressions & audibles. So why am I hesitant to fully endorse, as he was clearly improved. It was clear the Falcons forgot who Murray was. They rushed with reckless abandon as most teams did when Murray first arrived. After awhile teams learned to rush in a disciplined fashion, forcing Murray to beat them passing. Of course sometimes he also ran into sacks when being pressured in that fashion.

Murray is a great athlete. He has all the tools. I want to see him face a team that keeps him in the pocket and dials up the pressure. Can he retain his composure? Can he shift to create throwing lanes? Will he take a hit to complete a pass? Should he? The Falcons were exactly the type of defenders Murray has spent a career embarrassing. The Niners, for example, won’t give him that edge.

Do keep in mind this won’t easily be answered this season. The Cards still have a poor roster. This game would have looked way different if they were playing Cleveland again. To win Murray must be given more surrounding talent. The problem is you have to wait at least a year to answer if he’s the man. The Cards will have to take a leap of faith. At the moment Murray is still vastly entertaining. If teams lose their focus, he’ll best them. I’ll do a game wrap with many more observations. Just know winning wasn’t a bad thing. I also know Kingsbury should be held criminally negligent for setting back Murray’s career.
Demeco Ryans has prepared for Kyler Murray for his 1st 4 years of his career (even when he was just an assistant)

The Texans will keep better contain and Kyler will need to continue to process quickly.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like JC too.
But he ain't fast and he ain't young. Neither of those can be fixed.

Would really like to get an all around guy..6"2 225 with enough speed to take the corner.....that can pick up a blitz.
But, I would settle for a greased lightning scatback to split time with JC

Said it in the draft thread one RB I really like, not first round maybe 3rd round is Trey Benson from Florida St. 220 pounds and fast. He's never been a fulltime starter until this year, he's a redshirt junior, and he's good in the passing game too.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
I would also like to say that I watched Trevor Lawrence absolutely stink up a game again today and remember when he was the next great QB. Dude was supposed to be a Luck / Elway talent and he SUCKS
I watched part of that game today. His (lack of) accuracy was just atrocious.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Eh I think the chances of drafting a QB are fairly low. I think it's a media contrived narrative, but the Cardinals have put themselves in the position to make the move if Murray didn't recover, which it looks like he has.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought Kyler played well within 15 yards.

I thought his deep ball was again very poor. I really need to see more on that. It was one of his strengths the first 3 years but was awful last year and continued into yesterday.

The miss to Hollywood for a TD was huge and he was lucky not to get picked on the badly underthrown pass to McBride. Could have cost us the game.

No wow passes but there was enough there to be sure they aren't going to move on from him.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Harry sounds like my wife. We came home from what I thought was a perfect vacation and couldn't wait to tell my friends about it. As I was talking about how great my week was, she reminded me that it rained for about an hour Wednesday afternoon. And this was to interrupt my opinion that we had great weather.

Harry, just saying that you made my wife very happy.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Said it in the draft thread one RB I really like, not first round maybe 3rd round is Trey Benson from Florida St. 220 pounds and fast. He's never been a fulltime starter until this year, he's a redshirt junior, and he's good in the passing game too.
The most useful back in the draft. His power/speed combo is outstanding. He’s functional on short passes. Amazingly once he breaks contain, he’s hard to catch. He needs an O-line to make holes, but he’s good enough to be a number one RB.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Harry sounds like my wife. We came home from what I thought was a perfect vacation and couldn't wait to tell my friends about it. As I was talking about how great my week was, she reminded me that it rained for about an hour Wednesday afternoon. And this was to interrupt my opinion that we had great weather.

Harry, just saying that you made my wife very happy.
Not sure I should respond to that last line!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Kyler played well within 15 yards.

I thought his deep ball was again very poor. I really need to see more on that. It was one of his strengths the first 3 years but was awful last year and continued into yesterday.

The miss to Hollywood for a TD was huge and he was lucky not to get picked on the badly underthrown pass to McBride. Could have cost us the game.

No wow passes but there was enough there to be sure they aren't going to move on from him.

The touch pass to McBride where he made the sliding catch while being held was certainly a wow throw.

Not sure what happened on the underthrow to McBride he got the ball out on time it just hung up for some reason. The throw to hollywood was so close and as people on the game thread said, Brown slowed up for a step or 2 like he didn't think the ball was coming to him and then had to accelerate again. You hate to overthrow a guy on a ball like that but man that was close

After a near year off I was pleased with what I saw