Round One Conundrums

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I see. Interesting. A few questions please (brief answers are cool and thanks)

1. how did you become a bengals fan?

2. Are you a longhorns fans?

3. What would ARZ need to offer you to trade Higgens (we talk about him a lot, some guys on the board want him for our WR1).

Moved back from Canada to the US (mom was in the foreign service) and I got into American football. Saw Carson Palmer get drafted to the Bengals and started following Cincy.

Heck no lol. I live in Austin but I went to the University of Tennessee. I’m a Vol for life. Went to school with Eric Berry and met him before he got drafted to KC.

Honestly for Tee I’d say the first rounder that you get from the Texans and MAYBE a third rounder. Tee can’t stay healthy and he can be inconsistent at times. I’d love to somehow pair Odunze with Ja’Marr but that’s a pipe dream lol. We’ll probably draft o line

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Seven rushing. Moestert had 18. Conner was 16th in the NFL.

Kyler and Dobbs has six combined.
16th in the nfl is pretty damn good considering how many people run or catch the ball considering he missed almost a quarter of the season. If we extrapolate he would’ve had 11.76 in a full season. Where would that have placed him in the rankings?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is weird. You say tackles have the lowest bust rate but the chart you show clearly indicates center and safety as lower.

Also, I’m unsure this is the line of reasoning to follow. If you read the article, using this logic in terms of what to draft in the first round it would direct us to draft (in order) . . .

Safety
Center
Tightend
Linebacker
Guard

. . . as they have the greatest difference between pro bowler and bust. That goes against all convention wisdom in terms of using valuable draft capital on low value positions.
Uh if you notice...those are all non premium positions.

I'm talking about premium, high impact positions. As much as the Colts loved to talk about how good Quentin Nelson is/was, he was still just a guard.

The best place to find OTs is the first round by a wide margin. Obviously QB as well. There are plenty of really good WRs drafted after round one, but the best OTs and generally the best QBs are really only found in round one.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No, no. But, we have three third rounders and I think we'd be silly to completely dismiss the concept of drafting say Brooks, Benson, or Corum if they were there. Conner is getting very long in the tooth and probably doesn't have much left. Carter is pretty meh and would be a non-factor if Conner misses time (which he almost always does). Demercado is a JAG.

I'm not saying we HAVE to acquire a running back in the draft, just that I think it should be on the table. And I'm still not sure if @Garthshort is philosophically against drafting a running back in the top three rounds or if it's just his take on what our situation is this year.

I still don't think Conner is very good. He's pretty pedestrian. Misses a lot of time. I think we're in the back half of RB rooms right now, depending on what shifts are made around the league.
The guy with the ACL tear??? Eh no.

RB is near the bottom of the Cardinals needs.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The guy with the ACL tear??? Eh no.

RB is near the bottom of the Cardinals needs.

See Garrett Williams

Round 3 (3 picks) or later

We need a RBOF and to fill in when Connor misses games (every year).

With Brooks, you are getting a first round talent in round 3 with time to develop/get healthy because of Connor.

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No, no. But, we have three third rounders and I think we'd be silly to completely dismiss the concept of drafting say Brooks, Benson, or Corum if they were there. Conner is getting very long in the tooth and probably doesn't have much left. Carter is pretty meh and would be a non-factor if Conner misses time (which he almost always does). Demercado is a JAG.

I'm not saying we HAVE to acquire a running back in the draft, just that I think it should be on the table. And I'm still not sure if @Garthshort is philosophically against drafting a running back in the top three rounds or if it's just his take on what our situation is this year.

I still don't think Conner is very good. He's pretty pedestrian. Misses a lot of time. I think we're in the back half of RB rooms right now, depending on what shifts are made around the league.
My take was based on our needs THIS year. And I definitely disagree with your ratings of our three RB's. Just my opinion.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yo this is a terrible take
One good season doesn't change that he's almost 30, has never once played close to a full season, and has exactly one 1,000 yard rushing year.

He's okay, but is never going to break a long one, and can pretty much always be upgraded upon. He should be part of a committee, not a feature back.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
My take was based on our needs THIS year. And I definitely disagree with your ratings of our three RB's. Just my opinion.
Right on, I wasn't sure. Some posters here are vehement that great, productive RBs are available on day 3 every year. And that's more like a 10% hit rate, if I'm being generous.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Concerning RBs, I think we have to consider that Connor gained half of his rushing yards (514) in the last 5 games of the season. It took him 8 games to gain the other 526 yards. Is that a reflection of much better run blocking by the Oline or a sudden renaissance by Connor? I myself credit it more to the Oline than Connor suddenly becoming a top 10-15 running back. Connor's strength is his size (233 lbs.) which allows him to run over smaller DBs once he gets to the second level.

I still believe that there will be little movement in the RB room by the team. It doesn't mean I believe that there isn't a need to add a second RB that compliments Connor. Look at Detroit with Montgomery and Gibbs. Almost 2,000 yards between them. The team still needs a back with a skill set like Gibbs.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
See Garrett Williams

Round 3 (3 picks) or later

We need a RBOF and to fill in when Connor misses games (every year).

With Brooks, you are getting a first round talent in round 3 with time to develop/get healthy because of Connor.
He tore his ACL fairly late in the year...and CB is way more of a premium position. Not going to take an injured RB.

Reactions: PJ1

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Concerning RBs, I think we have to consider that Connor gained half of his rushing yards (514) in the last 5 games of the season. It took him 8 games to gain the other 526 yards. Is that a reflection of much better run blocking by the Oline or a sudden renaissance by Connor? I myself credit it more to the Oline than Connor suddenly becoming a top 10-15 running back. Connor's strength is his size (233 lbs.) which allows him to run over smaller DBs once he gets to the second level.

I still believe that there will be little movement in the RB room by the team. It doesn't mean I believe that there isn't a need to add a second RB that compliments Connor. Look at Detroit with Montgomery and Gibbs. Almost 2,000 yards between them. The team still needs a back with a skill set like Gibbs.
Connor has really good run vision. He rarely picks the wrong hole. He's the opposite of David Johnson. If Conner wasn't hurt frequently, he'd be a top five back.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Right on, I wasn't sure. Some posters here are vehement that great, productive RBs are available on day 3 every year. And that's more like a 10% hit rate, if I'm being generous.
The idea is you take a late RB fairly regularly. Sometimes you find a Pacheco.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i would absolutely take Brooks with one of the 6ths fully knowing that next year will be a red shirt year for him

with the number of draft picks, it will be hard to keep all of them on the active roster. To get high end talent at RB in the 6th at the cost of having to invest a rehab year is acceptable

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Personally I think conners greatest strengths are his vision and balance. Many more physically talented backs never see the holes and creases he routinely finds. His physical power is a secondary strength.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
One good season doesn't change that he's almost 30, has never once played close to a full season, and has exactly one 1,000 yard rushing year.

He's okay, but is never going to break a long one, and can pretty much always be upgraded upon. He should be part of a committee, not a feature back.
He’s pretty mid, not “terrible.” Keaontay Ingram is a terrible RB.

I think the top 5 back discourse based on facts not in evidence, but when healthy he’s a good back.

I also think he lead the league in explosive runs. He’s rarely going to make a 60+ yard house call, but many, many backs don’t do that with any regularity.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
christian Wilkins..... 5/107mil
Wilkins looked good when they had all their starters. When they had DLs out, he wasn’t especially effective. He’s good, but if the offense can focus on him: he’s stoppable. The Cards will need more than one capable player on that line for him to work. I’d be careful about overpaying him.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Connor has really good run vision. He rarely picks the wrong hole. He's the opposite of David Johnson. If Conner wasn't hurt frequently, he'd be a top five back.
Johnson was one of those guys who never recovered from his first serious injury. The Cards had an OL named Cooper who suffered the same fate. It seems weird, but their are players who once they realize they’re not super human just cease to be effective.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Wilkins looked good when they had all their starters. When they had DLs out, he wasn’t especially effective. He’s good, but if the offense can focus on him: he’s stoppable. The Cards will need more than one capable player on that line for him to work. I’d be careful about overpaying him.
Agree. But a first round rookie next to him would give us something to grow with

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He’s pretty mid, not “terrible.” Keaontay Ingram is a terrible RB.

I think the top 5 back discourse based on facts not in evidence, but when healthy he’s a good back.

I also think he lead the league in explosive runs. He’s rarely going to make a 60+ yard house call, but many, many backs don’t do that with any regularity.
Mid is fine to describe him. I didn't call Conner terrible at any moment. He's simply somewhere in the middle of the league, or maybe slightly on the back half.

For example, I'd rather have the RB room of anyone else in our division over ours. The Rams don't have much depth but I think Kyren is better.