Ready, Set, Sign

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
According to multiple sources the Cards will explode off the free agent starting line. While they theoretically couldn’t have negotiated with anyone it looks like they will quickly reach agreement with Mosely & Suggs. I expect the Cards to target a midrange cost WR as well. I think the Cards are seriously interested in Brett Hundley to replace Glennon, who would not have been a good fit for the new offense. That signing, which I critizied at the time, was yet another waste of dollars by Keim. Don’t ask me why he’s still employed. Living on past glory if I had to guess.

Adding Suggs, who plays like he’s five years younger than the calendar protrays, would truly give the Cards fexibilty in the draft. They would likely have enough off the edge to compete without Bosa or Allen. They could take Murray. They could move down filling more holes. This is a very strong, deep draft. Having already secured Gilbert, the line looks more functional. However it’s still plausible to see them take OL help early & late. With no interior DLs likely to be grabbed in FA they could shock everyone & take Williams. I’m hearing they are more likely to stay with their current set. I think Nkemdiche will still disappoint, but the athletic skills attraction seems to lure Keim. If only Nkemdiche liked to play the game. They’ll likely make a vet depth signing for the DL at some point.

Clearly the Cards will acquire a safety and FA makes sense as I can’t remember a time when they were cheaper. I doubt they’d go for Collins, but there are several solid ones available.

The Cards goal is to compete for a playoff slot this year. If things go as I’ve outlined the defense will be playoff quality. The question is can a new offense, possibly led by a first year QB, be effective enough to get the Cards to the Promised Land. It’s almost ironic when you consider that many teams with a solid defense want a slightly conservative offense. The Cards won’t have that. If I’m right if will be fair to say the Cards will go as far as their offense allows.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good stuff Harry. If they make moves that you mentioned their defense could be really good.

PitchShifter

The other Big Red
Reaction score
Enjoy reading your posts, Harry.

If only Nkemdiche liked to play the game.
Keim oftens says they miss on the person more than the player, which is why IMHO Bosa should be the pick. The NFL is the Bosa family business. They didn't have to drag him from another suitor after a bunch of vague flirtations with something else.

Wasn't the early mail that the Cards were willing to make C.J. Mosely the highest paid ILB in the game after multiple failures trying to fill the position with high round draft picks?

Hundley, I don't get. Can someone explain? He was dreadful spelling for Rodgers.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get Mosely. Forget Suggs. Draft Bosa. Suggs may be playing 5 years younger but old dogs get older real fast. You’ll be looking for his replacement next year. We have an opportunity to take a blue chip pass rusher and not have to worry about that position for 10 years. Don’t pass on “Suggs” again! Get Saffold and quit messing around with bargain hunting o-linemen. Re-sign Pierre. He played well in a 3-4. We can’t count on nkemdiche. He’s not even going to be ready and probably be on the pup list. I also think it’s stupid to draft a guy, groom him for 4 years and then let him go. Then go shopping for a replacement when he’s sitting in your own pantry. Why Gunter hasn’t been re-signed just seems crazy. Back up qb I’m afraid I don’t care. We are not going to the super bowl this year and how many times does a back up make a difference especially on a rebuilding team.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Get Mosely. Forget Suggs. Draft Bosa. Suggs may be playing 5 years younger but old dogs get older real fast. You’ll be looking for his replacement next year. We have an opportunity to take a blue chip pass rusher and not have to worry about that position for 10 years. Don’t pass on “Suggs” again! Get Saffold and quit messing around with bargain hunting o-linemen. Re-sign Pierre. He played well in a 3-4. We can’t count on nkemdiche. He’s not even going to be ready and probably be on the pup list. I also think it’s stupid to draft a guy, groom him for 4 years and then let him go. Then go shopping for a replacement when he’s sitting in your own pantry. Why Gunter hasn’t been re-signed just seems crazy. Back up qb I’m afraid I don’t care. We are not going to the super bowl this year and how many times does a back up make a difference especially on a rebuilding team.

I don't think they will have to pay much for Suggs. I actually would like them to get Suggs and also take Bosa. Suggs is no longer an every down player.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
According to multiple sources the Cards will explode off the free agent starting line. While they theoretically couldn’t have negotiated with anyone it looks like they will quickly reach agreement with Mosely & Suggs.

Wow...that would be a heck of a start!

Mosely, Suggs, Jones, Peterson. Swearinger, and Bosa or Q Williams would completely change the defense and bring a level of toughness we may never have had before.

Rounds 2 and beyond could be filled with players that fit KK's offense.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow...that would be a heck of a start!

Mosely, Suggs, Jones, Peterson. Swearinger, and Bosa or Q Williams would completely change the defense and bring a level of toughness we may never have had before.

Rounds 2 and beyond could be filled with players that fit KK's offense.

Especially a top rated WR!!!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think they will have to pay much for Suggs. I actually would like them to get Suggs and also take Bosa. Suggs is no longer an every down player.
What’s “not much”? He’s not coming here for league minimum. I just think money could be spent a bit more wisely.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
What’s “not much”? He’s not coming here for league minimum. I just think money could be spent a bit more wisely.

Depends on the money but Suggs is still setting the edge and disrupting plays in the backfield at a high level. That combined with his leadership and toughness...yes please.

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looking at the list of wrs out there who do you believe is a top tier? Do you mean in the draft?

I like the following in no particular order but I'm sure the Cards have a better feel by far than me:

Harry ASU
Butler Iowa State
Harmon NC State
JJ Ardega-Whiteside Stanford

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah, probably not go for minimum. Not sure what he is worth is on the market and if he wants to come here.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the following in no particular order but I'm sure the Cards have a better feel by far than me:

Harry ASU
Butler Iowa State
Harmon NC State
I agree. I thought you were talking about free agency wr’s.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Harry ASU
Butler Iowa State
Harmon NC State
Bleh.

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
Enjoy reading your posts, Harry.

Keim oftens says they miss on the person more than the player, which is why IMHO Bosa should be the pick. The NFL is the Bosa family business. They didn't have to drag him from another suitor after a bunch of vague flirtations with something else.

Wasn't the early mail that the Cards were willing to make C.J. Mosely the highest paid ILB in the game after multiple failures trying to fill the position with high round draft picks?

Hundley, I don't get. Can someone explain? He was dreadful spelling for Rodgers.
Hundleys career numbers are not good. We don't need 2 mediocre UCLA QBs. There are better backup qbs than that guy surely. Heck, I think Kanoff might be better. Give him a good look during the preseason games.

Last edited:

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah, probably not go for minimum. Not sure what he is worth is on the market and if he wants to come here.
Not that interested in him but he is from here so he might have some motivation to end his career here.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Unfortunately they didn’t offer a contract to Pierre even though he was a restricted FA so he will become a unrestricted free agent. I wanted him back for depth too. The only restricted free agent that was re-signed was DJ Foster.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Not that interested in him but he is from here so he might have some motivation to end his career here.

Good point, if they sign him you’d have to believe it wouldn’t be for more than 2 years. IMO he’d be used like Freeney was when we signed him, he was about the same age then.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I’d like us to sign Anthony Barr & make him an OLB. I truly believe he could be a Chandler Jones type player if he is turned lose to sic em.

Mine:
1) Barr
2) Mosley or Jordan Hicks
3) Saffold to play LG

Draft at least 2 WRs, add another Olineman via draft & this team is soooo much better than last year.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To compliment a WR group headed by Fitz and Kirk, I'd like us to add a big, dominent jump ball guy and a sub 4.3 blazer who can take the top off a defense.

Use the final 2 spots to provide depth behind Fitz/Kirk and the Big Guy.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d like us to sign Anthony Barr & make him an OLB. I truly believe he could be a Chandler Jones type player if he is turned lose to sic em.

Mine:
1) Barr
2) Mosley or Jordan Hicks
3) Saffold to play LG

Draft at least 2 WRs, add another Olineman via draft & this team is soooo much better than last year.

Yea but you also want Murray so hard to take you seriously :)

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To compliment a WR group headed by Fitz and Kirk, I'd like us to add a big, dominent jump ball guy and a sub 4.3 blazer who can take the top off a defense.

Use the final 2 spots to provide depth behind Fitz/Kirk and the Big Guy.

There should be plenty of those available with our 7rd picks!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson