Reshuffling the Cards; Part Three, Free Agents

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Free Agents fit in at all levels. I’m going to primarily focus here on those who would start if signed. With the cap space the Cards have and could increase by trading guys like Humphries, several key free agents could be acquired. I posted on this subject earlier and I’ll try not to repeat too much of my previous posts. I’ll also take a look at a possible trade target. They would use up cap space as well.

Forget the top Edges. They’ll be tagged and too costly. Take a top edge rusher in the draft. It’s a bit of a gamble, but far more cap friendly. Edge rushers become much more effective if good DTs are available. Justin Madubuike pressured the passer better than any DT in the league. The Ravens have limited cap space, so he likely won’t be tagged. There will be tons of competition. However, if the Cards want to prove they’re for real, he’s a great player to rebuild with. He’ll cost a great deal, but he’s a rare talent. If the money scares them off, I’d look at DT Reader. He might be the top anchor on the market. There are injury concerns, but when he’s on the field he’s almost unmovable. He’ll cost about $18 mil on average.

If the Cards insist on taking a rusher, one of the best pass rushers with above average rush defense is Franke Luvu. He has a great motor. He’s just average as a pass defender, but that helps make him affordable. He spends enough time in his opponents’ backfield he won’t have to cover much except zone.

How about an ageless wonder? Fletcher Cox can no longer player every snap. However, if you keep him fresh as a rotation player, he can still be a force. The other thing he brings is leadership and gravitas. The Cards definitely need a presence in the middle. He can lead the way for this young line. If you just want a DT for the rush defense Michael Pierce is another of those immovable objects. He can occasionally collapse a pocket, but he can hold down a running game. Just so it’s clear I’m not advocating signing 3 DTs. Start at the top and work down. I would sign 2 if affordable.

I liked Connor Williams but his injury takes him out for 2024. So I’m thinking Coleman Shelton. He can play either guard slot or center. He’s very good in pass protection and decent as a run blocker. His versatility means even if the Cards hit on an inside offensive linemen, Shelton offers insurance at every position. He would immediately upgrade LG.

Mike Williams, WR, will becoming back from an ACL injury. In this day and age that is not the barrier it once was. What it does mean is he could be had in a trade and depending what the Cards want to offer, he could be bought low. The Cards need a veteran presence at WR and he could be the man.

The differences between free agency and the draft are numerous. IMO proven NFL performance, leadership qualities, thin draft pools and known locker room presence are the main reasons to fill a position in free agency rather than the draft.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Forget the top Edges.

@Harry - I know this is a free agent thread but what are your thoughts on Latu vs Verse for Cardinals?

Feels like Latu is a better pure pass rusher (like a Chandler Jones) and good against the run (not great).

Verse is solid in both (better vs run) but not spectacular.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I liked Connor Williams but his injury takes him out for 2024. So I’m thinking Coleman Shelton.

Mike Williams, WR, will becoming back from an ACL injury.

I like Robert Hunt - G from Miami but not sure how much he would cost.

Mike Williams is interesting but Chargers would take a $12M hit to trade him.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Random thought, but would the Saints part with Jamal Williams and would he be a good counterpart to Conner?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Chargers are going to do a one year rebuild like us. I think they have a few high paid vets that will be available. We have the capital to pull a Keim type trade with them.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
@Harry - I know this is a free agent thread but what are your thoughts on Latu vs Verse for Cardinals?

Feels like Latu is a better pure pass rusher (like a Chandler Jones) and good against the run (not great).

Verse is solid in both (better vs run) but not spectacular.
You’ve got a good handle on it. If you like Anderson’s game with Texas I think Verse is very similar. He’ll get tons of pressures and some sacks. He’s very sound against the run. I like him best but he’s not flashy. He’s a great locker room presence and likely would become a team leader. High character individual. Latu will likely get more sacks, but he’s a mediocre tackler at best.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Harry, you make this site better!
Would Gabe Davis be a possible addition. I think we need two wr’s not including one named Brown.
Thank you. He played here at UCF. He drops too many catchable balls and has a tendency to bat balls into the air that result in interceptions. He fights hard on contested balls, which is important with Murray’s ball placement. He’d be an okay addition and he has improved, but I think they could afford stronger.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. He played here at UCF. He drops too many catchable balls and has a tendency to bat balls into the air that result in interceptions. He fights hard on contested balls, which is important with Murray’s ball placement. He’d be an okay addition and he has improved, but I think they could afford stronger.
Thanks! What free agent Wr would you suggest. I know it’s been said there are so many wr’s in this draft we could pick two.
I don’t like the thought of starting two rookies. What Wr free agent would you target?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
With the low cost of RB's these days, I think Josh Jacobs or D'Andre Swift(think he's a UFA) would be good adds.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I was reading a Randy Mueller article on the Athletic and he was talking about just how valuable OTs are as high draft picks. They contribute on every down unlike other positions. He was saying this in regards to the Falcons taking Pitts over Sewell. Granted, the Falcons do have Matthews, but Sewell is a better player and if you draft Sewell, you can move a player around and have a really good OL.

Why am I mentioning this for the Cardinals? Their are two premium OTs available on the draft and one of them is pretty much guaranteed to be available when the Cardinals pick. If its MHJ vs a tackle, I probably go MHJ, but I still heavily consider Alt because of his upside and the Cardinals needs.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justin Madubuike would be a HUGE pickup for the Cardinals. As you mentioned he won't come cheap. He already turned down an extension from the Ravens last month and is only 26 years old.

Plus I see the Giants as major players for Madubuike. Giant's DC Martindale coached him in Baltimore and I believe the Giants will target him as they need to shore up the DL as well. So the Cardinals will have to blow his socks off if they want to land him.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Justin Madubuike would be a HUGE pickup for the Cardinals. As you mentioned he won't come cheap. He already turned down an extension from the Ravens last month and is only 26 years old.

Plus I see the Giants as major players for Madubuike. Giant's DC Martindale coached him in Baltimore and I believe the Giants will target him as they need to shore up the DL as well. So the Cardinals will have to blow his socks off if they want to land him.
Probably will take Aaron Donald money...

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Look at the FA OTs available and that kind of answers the question. Maybe the Cardinals can find a vet through trade, but I think DJs injury makes LT the highest need now. WR is secondary unfortunately.
I am not sure how dramatic of a change of plans it is in reality.. outside of a handful of folks fandom for a good person and long standing Card in Hump his lack of performance and declining play is noted in nearly every analysis of him (should check out this weeks article by Kyle Odegard - whose opinion/analysis I respect).

Hump was a bad contract based on his performance before injury with ability to free up some additional cap. I wouldn’t have been shocked without injury we were looking to move on this offseason.

**yes we all know K9 you absolutely love you some Hump and would pay him out of your own pocket.

Last edited:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

How did the Eagles build their defense?

That might be a clue on how JG will do it here.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
While D Line help is a top 2024 priority I cannot remember who the starters were in the first game or two? Anyone worth mentioning that will be in the rotation next year

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While D Line help is a top 2024 priority I cannot remember who the starters were in the first game or two? Anyone worth mentioning that will be in the rotation next year
I think the philosophy of this staff is to find a solid rotation of 8-10 guys in the front seven. We’ve seen it this year, even with all the injuries the front 7, a constant rotation of players sharing the load at about 65% of the plays.
Some will be here and some will be replace. To name names it would just be a guess.
Stills, Strong and Ledbetter played a lot. Wilkins looked solid for the short time he played until injured. The staff seems to like Letu. However, any of these guys might be moved except for Stills.