Reshuffling the Cards; Part Two, Offensive Needs

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think the offense will become a second class passenger. Obviously assistance is needed but it’s not the main focus of the rebuild. A few positions are obvious. Except for Dortch the WR group is disposable. There’s a minor argument for Wilson. However, limited speed, fragility, inability to separate and mediocre route running aren’t big endorsements. He’s smart, somewhat athletic, has good hands and could develop if he could stay on the field. I make him a waste of a space. He flashed ability at best but couldn’t sustain it. This group needs a big dog. Fortunately they are in position to get one. Still I think Monti will go OT first. He can still get a useful WR if he attacks round 1. Of course one is not enough. A third round possession receiver and a functional FA, not one like Pascal, would help. I might even draft 3. The real question is Harrison. If he’s on the board when the Cards pick I take him unless I can safely move down and still get him. I suppose I could be overwhelmed by a lower placed team (top 12) that would move up and take a QB and offer say their pick and 2 future number ones. Harrison is a generational player who will make any QB better. You don’t pass sure thing stars.

I think TE will have a decent base if Swaim recovers. They could always pick up an affordable free agent. Decent receivers will open up the field for McBride whose ceiling is nearly unlimited.

Then there’s the OL. Nothing here is certain. I wouldn’t be shocked to see Humphries traded if the Cards take a round 1 OT. Clearly LG has been a bottomless pit. Froholdt still has much to learn, but I think they view him as an unusually good fit for this offense. Hernandez has been average at best but he’ll likely do for now. Johnson is interesting. He struggled some but that’s not a disqualifying factor. Transitioning to the NFL is tough. It’s a big leap. Not everybody does it in one step. Give Johnson a little room to grow, I think he has immense potential. So get the best LG they can get and decide which way to go at OT. There are good LG free agents. They could draft another one in early round 3, but not if they play a rookie at LT. P

I know some may be thinking draft an OT, play him at guard and move him next season. The problem is neither Alt nor Fashnu has any real experience at guard. Latham is seen more as a RT, but he has played guard. Taking him would mean moving Johnson to LT. I should point out there are analysts who believe Johnson will be even more effective playing LT. Still I can’t envision a line of a LT acclimating, a new LG and a rookie RT. It usually takes half a season for a new line to jell and play in a coordinated fashion. If they’re determined to go OT, it would seem the best strategy would be to sign the best available free agent LG. Then they can either move Johnson or start the new guy at LT. It is important to add a few capable, flexible depth linemen.

Another somewhat confusing puzzle is RB. Clearly Conner continues to be the main back. He’s been outstanding this season and shows no signs of age deterioration. As to Carter, we haven’t seen much of him, but from what I have seen he seems a worthy backup, capable of starting a few games should Connor be injured. He used to be an effective receiver, though that’s not been much of a part of this offense. The confusing part starts when you get to Demercado. I like him, but despite having the longest RB run this season, he’s not a true breakaway back. He appears to be the best pass protector against rushers. Sadly he is not a good receiver. He’s not terrible, but I’d make him below average. He’s a decent scrimmage runner. He has little power but uses blockers well, has a nose for a gap. Sop, he’s decent insurance. They logically will draft a back in round 3 or later who displays speed and decent hands, but probably doesn’t run much between the tackles.

As to QB, we’ve milked the Murray question for all it’s worth. The backup spot is the concern. If the Cards were a Super Bowl contender I’d opt for an experienced backup. As it is I’m fine with Tune. I still think he has potential to be a useful QB. Still if he never plays his game won’t develop.

The offensive need is simple. Build a WR corp. Construct a line capable of run blocking and giving Murray time to throw most of the time. LG and WR are the major concerns. This is doable in one offseason. The key will be how quickly the line can develop into a unit after it’s formed.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Great write up. I want 2 OL in this draft and I don't want to draft guys who we intend to change their position. Paris was taken at #6 overall as a LT. Move him there and let him develop. He can either cut it, or he was a bad pick that high in the draft. With the Texans pick we could possibly get Latham, or the RT from Oregon State. Plug him in there and were set for the next 5 years on a rookie contract. At #34 we could get a starting LG like a Cooper Beebee....or we could decide to wait on LG in GA and get a guard later in the draft isn't expected to start anytime soon.

If I had my way I would like to see the first 5 picks look like this:

MJH...the single biggest upgrade we could make this year. Completely changes the WR room

Texans pick- Newton, Latham, Verse, or the RT from Oregon State.

2nd round - best CB on the board

3rd round - 2 DT's or if we took Newton then a DT and an OLineman

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting that Wilson was considered a good pick early in the season when he was getting some numbers with Dobbs. Most just wanted more touches for him. The lack of production with KM now has him labeled as no good. I absolutely get the injury concern but hardly just blame Wilson for the lack of production with KM.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Great write up. I want 2 OL in this draft and I don't want to draft guys who we intend to change their position. Paris was taken at #6 overall as a LT. Move him there and let him develop. He can either cut it, or he was a bad pick that high in the draft. With the Texans pick we could possibly get Latham, or the RT from Oregon State. Plug him in there and were set for the next 5 years on a rookie contract. At #34 we could get a starting LG like a Cooper Beebee....or we could decide to wait on LG in GA and get a guard later in the draft isn't expected to start anytime soon.

If I had my way I would like to see the first 5 picks look like this:

MJH...the single biggest upgrade we could make this year. Completely changes the WR room

Texans pick- Newton, Latham, Verse, or the RT from Oregon State.

2nd round - best CB on the board

3rd round - 2 DT's or if we took Newton then a DT and an OLineman
Love this

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Is Kyler not targeting him? I remember watching Michael against game 1 of the niners with my aspiring jr and primary school aged sons and we all quipped/remarked to each other with “this dudes legit.”

I think he’s either nursing a long standing injury, or he’s just prone to <100% always.

Only the team truly knows.

Do you have objective data to support the hypothesis that Kyler may be to blame for holding him back?

I’d love to see it, and I bet numbers like these are what any FO would evaluate when making any personnel decision.

Kyler isn’t the rookie whisperer.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice post Harry. I’ve been banging the drum to sign a guard and a wr. I know Pittman and Higgins are pipe dreams. That ain’t happening.
I don’t want to draft 2 wr’s with the thought of starting two rookies. I’m looking at bigger receivers (NOT BROWN!). I keep coming back to Gabe Davis. From everything I’ve read he would cost about 12-13m but not sure how accurate that is.
What’s your thought on Davis,and if not him, who would you target?

I agree the defense will be the focal point and we should still have free agent money and 11 picks minus a for a rb.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Then there’s the OL. Nothing here is certain. I wouldn’t be shocked to see Humphries traded if the Cards take a round 1 OT. Clearly LG has been a bottomless pit. Froholdt still has much to learn, but I think they view him as an unusually good fit for this offense. Hernandez has been average at best but he’ll likely do for now. Johnson is interesting. He struggled some but that’s not a disqualifying factor. Transitioning to the NFL is tough. It’s a big leap. Not everybody does it in one step. Give Johnson a little room to grow, I think he has immense potential. So get the best LG they can get and decide which way to go at OT. There are good LG free agents. They could draft another one in early round 3, but not if they play a rookie at LT.

So what is the possibility of moving Humphries to LG is they draft a OT?

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is Kyler not targeting him? I remember watching Michael against game 1 of the niners with my aspiring jr and primary school aged sons and we all quipped/remarked to each other with “this dudes legit.”

I think he’s either nursing a long standing injury, or he’s just prone to <100% always.

Only the team truly knows.

Do you have objective data to support the hypothesis that Kyler may be to blame for holding him back?

I’d love to see it, and I bet numbers like these are what any FO would evaluate when making any personnel decision.

Kyler isn’t the rookie whisperer.
KM isn’t getting much done with any WR. I mean Dortch and his yards after catch being the exception. My point is it is assumed by some it is on Wilson and he is less thought of than he was earlier in the season. Dobbs isn’t the rookie whisperer either.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Nice post Harry. I’ve been banging the drum to sign a guard and a wr. I know Pittman and Higgins are pipe dreams. That ain’t happening.
I don’t want to draft 2 wr’s with the thought of starting two rookies. I’m looking at bigger receivers (NOT BROWN!). I keep coming back to Gabe Davis. From everything I’ve read he would cost about 12-13m but not sure how accurate that is.
What’s your thought on Davis,and if not him, who would you target?

I agree the defense will be the focal point and we should still have free agent money and 11 picks minus a for a rb.
MHJ and Gave Davis would make our WR room a major strength instead of a liability. Davis is worth 2X what Hollywood is.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Interesting that Wilson was considered a good pick early in the season when he was getting some numbers with Dobbs. Most just wanted more touches for him. The lack of production with KM now has him labeled as no good. I absolutely get the injury concern but hardly just blame Wilson for the lack of production with KM.
I’ve watched Wilson as much as one can who’s not at the game. Maybe one of our season ticket holders will take on that project At the Seattle game. Every time I’ve seen him he’s created no separation. He’s a terrible target. He could be injured but why would they be playing him if he was. The question is related to the Dobbs games, was it routes or bad CB coverage?

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I think the offense will become a second class passenger. Obviously assistance is needed but it’s not the main focus of the rebuild. A few positions are obvious. Except for Dortch the WR group is disposable. There’s a minor argument for Wilson. However, limited speed, fragility, inability to separate and mediocre route running aren’t big endorsements. He’s smart, somewhat athletic, has good hands and could develop if he could stay on the field. I make him a waste of a space. He flashed ability at best but couldn’t sustain it. This group needs a big dog. Fortunately they are in position to get one. Still I think Monti will go OT first. He can still get a useful WR if he attacks round 1. Of course one is not enough. A third round possession receiver and a functional FA, not one like Pascal, would help. I might even draft 3. The real question is Harrison. If he’s on the board when the Cards pick I take him unless I can safely move down and still get him. I suppose I could be overwhelmed by a lower placed team (top 12) that would move up and take a QB and offer say their pick and 2 future number ones. Harrison is a generational player who will make any QB better. You don’t pass sure thing stars.

I think TE will have a decent base if Swaim recovers. They could always pick up an affordable free agent. Decent receivers will open up the field for McBride whose ceiling is nearly unlimited.

Then there’s the OL. Nothing here is certain. I wouldn’t be shocked to see Humphries traded if the Cards take a round 1 OT. Clearly LG has been a bottomless pit. Froholdt still has much to learn, but I think they view him as an unusually good fit for this offense. Hernandez has been average at best but he’ll likely do for now. Johnson is interesting. He struggled some but that’s not a disqualifying factor. Transitioning to the NFL is tough. It’s a big leap. Not everybody does it in one step. Give Johnson a little room to grow, I think he has immense potential. So get the best LG they can get and decide which way to go at OT. There are good LG free agents. They could draft another one in early round 3, but not if they play a rookie at LT. P

I know some may be thinking draft an OT, play him at guard and move him next season. The problem is neither Alt nor Fashnu has any real experience at guard. Latham is seen more as a RT, but he has played guard. Taking him would mean moving Johnson to LT. I should point out there are analysts who believe Johnson will be even more effective playing LT. Still I can’t envision a line of a LT acclimating, a new LG and a rookie RT. It usually takes half a season for a new line to jell and play in a coordinated fashion. If they’re determined to go OT, it would seem the best strategy would be to sign the best available free agent LG. Then they can either move Johnson or start the new guy at LT. It is important to add a few capable, flexible depth linemen.

Another somewhat confusing puzzle is RB. Clearly Conner continues to be the main back. He’s been outstanding this season and shows no signs of age deterioration. As to Carter, we haven’t seen much of him, but from what I have seen he seems a worthy backup, capable of starting a few games should Connor be injured. He used to be an effective receiver, though that’s not been much of a part of this offense. The confusing part starts when you get to Demercado. I like him, but despite having the longest RB run this season, he’s not a true breakaway back. He appears to be the best pass protector against rushers. Sadly he is not a good receiver. He’s not terrible, but I’d make him below average. He’s a decent scrimmage runner. He has little power but uses blockers well, has a nose for a gap. Sop, he’s decent insurance. They logically will draft a back in round 3 or later who displays speed and decent hands, but probably doesn’t run much between the tackles.

As to QB, we’ve milked the Murray question for all it’s worth. The backup spot is the concern. If the Cards were a Super Bowl contender I’d opt for an experienced backup. As it is I’m fine with Tune. I still think he has potential to be a useful QB. Still if he never plays his game won’t develop.

The offensive need is simple. Build a WR corp. Construct a line capable of run blocking and giving Murray time to throw most of the time. LG and WR are the major concerns. This is doable in one offseason. The key will be how quickly the line can develop into a unit after it’s formed.
I only pass on MHJ if we get 2 future ones. Monti can't be that foolish can he?

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ve watched Wilson as much as one can who’s not at the game. Maybe one of our season ticket holders will take on that project At the Seattle game. Every time I’ve seen him he’s created no separation. He’s a terrible target. He could be injured but why would they be playing him if he was. The question is related to the Dobbs games, was it routes or bad CB coverage?
Well in the game vs. Chicago he had at least two steps on the CB going down the sideline. KM pass was underthrown badly. Wilson attempted to come back and make the catch but couldn't. Some here called it a drop which it clearly was not. He could have drawn a PI call if he played it differently but that was one KM missed. I agree with many plays, by the time the ball gets to the receiver he is blanketed.

Last edited:

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Even then Im tempted to stay put. Look what happened with the Texans pick. I would hope we will not be picking top 5 again next year...so #1 when will there be another prospect like MHJ...and #2 when is the next time we will be in position to actually pick them?

If this is (hopefully) our last time picking top 5 this decade, then I would REALLY REALLY like to get a superstar.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He had three steps on his defender for what should have been a 50 yard touchdown that Kyler threw three yards behind him, almost resulting in an interception last week. Had pretty good separation there and Kyler just straight up crapped the bed on the deep throw. Just like he has all season save two throws to Moore.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think TE will have a decent base if Swaim recovers
Swaim is a pending free agent
Hernandez has been average at best but he’ll likely do for now.
I think Hernandez has been our best lineman this season
The problem is neither Alt nor Fashnu has any real experience at guard
Neither did Jonathan Ogden but he started his career at LG and now he’s in the hall of fame.
As it is I’m fine with Tune. I still think he has potential to be a useful QB. Still if he never plays his game won’t develop.
Bruh. Still a Tune fan after watching him play? Wild.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
He had three steps on his defender for what should have been a 50 yard touchdown that Kyler threw three yards behind him, almost resulting in an interception last week. Had pretty good separation there and Kyler just straight up crapped the bed on the deep throw. Just like he has all season save two throws to Moore.
Agree .

Now I'm no K1 apologist and I would not care one bit if they went a different direction. I'm pretty much totally out on him, but I could see why he gets another year.

Now to my thought/hope. It usually is the second year back from serious knee injury for athletes to get back to peak performance. Is his knee still to weak to plant and make those throws?

So if they decide to keep him another year let's hope that's what he's experiencing and will get back to MVP form next season.

Last edited:

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
We can’t keep passing on generational talents. Not sure how long you’ve been a fan (and not calling you out), but you should look up Terrell Suggs and Adrian Peterson. We’d have AT LEAST a trophy.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bruh. Still a Tune fan after watching him play? Wild.
Personally I would shut Kyler down for the season and start Tune for the final game with the SeaChicks.

We need to see if there has been any growth in him.

I’ve seen what I needed to see in Kyler. As a fan I don’t need a SeaChicks win at this point. I like our current position in the draft:)

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
My perfect scenario is draft MHJ and sign WR Pittman to fix our receivers and draft JC Latham 6-6 360 to be our dominating LG.

Use the rest of free agency and draft on the defense.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My perfect scenario is draft MHJ and sign WR Pittman to fix our receivers and draft JC Latham 6-6 360 to be our dominating LG.

Use the rest of free agency and draft on the defense.

Is he athletic at 360lb?