Reshuffling the Cards; Part Three, Free Agents

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I doubt it. Unlike the Cards, most teams like keeping their young talent and will pay them.

Let's deal with the case at hand.

If Carolina tags BURNS and he signs the deal, they'll be paying $20m in a rebuilding year to a guy they'll likely lose in FA one year hence.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Another interesting thing to consider: The Cards used Garrett Williams exclusively as a third cornerback, and media reports have consistently been that they consider him the slot of the future.

Could we bring in two free agent cornerbacks?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another interesting thing to consider: The Cards used Garrett Williams exclusively as a third cornerback, and media reports have consistently been that they consider him the slot of the future.

Could we bring in two free agent cornerbacks?
This year or this year and next year?

:|

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Key dates to remember as we brace for free agency:

2/20 - 3/5: Teams may designate franchise players
3/11 - 3/13: "Legal tampering window"
3/13 - Free agency
4/24 - Draft
Thanks for the info but I think the draft is 4/25.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This year or this year and next year?

:|
:mulli:

It's a delight scrolling through the smilies available. Just a delight.

I expect them to sign a starting-caliber corner in free agency and an Antonio Hamilton-quality corner (possibly Antonio Hamilton). They couldn't coach up Marco Wilson and lost faith in Kei'Trel Clark. Suddenly a group that seemed pretty deep at the beginning of the year is nearly barren. Unless you saw something in ST3.

Wouldn't be surprised to see one of those third-round picks spent in the position, also.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
:mulli:

It's a delight scrolling through the smilies available. Just a delight.

I expect them to sign a starting-caliber corner in free agency and an Antonio Hamilton-quality corner (possibly Antonio Hamilton). They couldn't coach up Marco Wilson and lost faith in Kei'Trel Clark. Suddenly a group that seemed pretty deep at the beginning of the year is nearly barren. Unless you saw something in ST3.

Wouldn't be surprised to see one of those third-round picks spent in the position, also.
Seemed pretty deep in starting caliber corners at the beginning of the year? What?!

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Key dates to remember as we brace for free agency:

2/20 - 3/5: Teams may designate franchise players
3/11 - 3/13: "Legal tampering window"
3/13 - Free agency
4/25-27 - Draft

Since you included the draft - might want to include the combine Feb 28th.

That will create the first test for player rankings (player runs a slower or much faster 40 time than expected). I am thinking WR's specifically.

QB performance will also have an impact on us.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Since you included the draft - might want to include the combine Feb 28th.

That will create the first test for player rankings (player runs a slower or much faster 40 time than expected). I am thinking WR's specifically.

QB performance will also have an impact on us.
I actually don't care about the Combine because it's a TV show. This is really (for me) about when things are going to happen/start/end for free agency.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Here's my free agent strategy.

Critical needs (starting caliber): IDL1, IDL2, WR, LG, CB

PositionTop TierMiddle TierThird Tier
IDL1Christian Wilkins (MIA, 29)Justin Jones (CHI, 28)Bilal Nichols (LVR, 28)
IDL2Austin Johnson (LAC, 30)Sebastian Joseph-Day (SFO, 29)Calais Campbell (ATL, 38)
WRMarquise Brown (ARI, 27)KJ Osborn (MIN, 26)D.J. Chark (CAR, 28)
LGDamien Lewis (SEA, 27)Jonah Jackson (DET, 27)Ben Bredeson (NYG, 26)
CBStephon Gilmore (DAL, 34)Kendall Fuller (WAS, 29)Chidobe Awuzie (29, CIN)

What I learned from this exercise:

- My goal was to get quality starters at IDL and someone who can play WR. Both roles can contribute without having to extend yourself in time or money so a rookie couldn't play early.
- Corner is going to be hard to find a long-term answer at better than Byron Murphy (sad!). I tried to fine a reliable starter for the next two-ish years who could mentor what will likely be a young room again.
- It's extremely likely we take care of the LG position with a mid-level free agent. There are a lot of guys out there; even a second wave will have quality options available.
- You have to find your edge players through the draft, IMO. I don't want to pay through the nose for what will be a warty veteran free agent. If we help the interior, there may be breakout candidates already on the roster.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

IDL2Austin Johnson (LAC, 30)Sebastian Joseph-Day (SFO, 29)Calais Campbell (ATL, 38)

- My goal was to get quality starters at IDL and someone who can play WR. Both roles can contribute without having to extend yourself in time or money so a rookie couldn't play early.
- Corner is going to be hard to find a long-term answer at better than Byron Murphy (sad!). I tried to fine a reliable starter for the next two-ish years who could mentor what will likely be a young room again.
- It's extremely likely we take care of the LG position with a mid-level free agent. There are a lot of guys out there; even a second wave will have quality options available.
- You have to find your edge players through the draft, IMO. I don't want to pay through the nose for what will be a warty veteran free agent. If we help the interior, there may be breakout candidates already on the roster.
Pffft. All turrible.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
With the low cost of RB's these days, I think Josh Jacobs or D'Andre Swift(think he's a UFA) would be good adds.
Don't think Jacob's would be cheap. But leonard forunette would be a good fit to share carries with Connor. Both good power backs

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Pretty impressive. Looks like you are thinking of drafting an OT. Going LT early or RT later and if so what rd.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson