Week 5 of the Arizona Cardinals off season. 02/05/24-02/11/24

Stewie Griffin

Veteran
Reaction score
Welp, this pathetic franchise has finally pushed my Dad off the ledge. After owning Cardinals season tickets since the first preseason game in 1988, he’s giving up his tickets after they tried to jam a 25% price increase down his throat after being pretty much an abomination since 2017, especially at home.

This franchise is pathetic

The hat and car sticker weren’t enough incentive for me neither. Kudos to your dad, only a season ticket holder since 2012, but giving them up also for the same reasons: 2 years of price increases after terrible play at home and it’s not worth the round trip game day travel from LV anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_0276.jpeg
    IMG_0276.jpeg
    385.7 KB · Views: 9

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
The hat and car sticker weren’t enough incentive for me neither. Kudos to your dad, only a season ticket holder since 2012, but giving them up also for the same reasons: 2 years of price increases after terrible play at home and it’s not worth the round trip game day travel from LV anymore.
The NFL & NCAA to an extent are walking a fine line of issues. I lost interest into killing my whole Sunday going to Card games.. I may make the trip for a Monday/Thurs/Sunday NIGHT game on the dime of a work related expense. I held ASU season tickets for 30+ yeas since getting out of the service. The effort and experience has diminished greatly with the added cost of everything outside of the ticket to get in. The ASU rep is all over me to renew, I might eventually do a little 3 game pack just to secure a decent seat to a few games. But will probably just do a wait and see to pick and choose the weekends/teams i decide i would like to go see. I also make 1 road trip a year, hopefully somewhere i have not been before. I had 4 season tickets (ASU) that i could not give away last year at times. The appeal to just sit at home in front of an 85" HD TV and/or meet a couple of buddies down the street at a sports bar is just making too much sense.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Season ticket prices arent directly tied to the teams success. There are costs involved in staffing and operating a stadium that size. Costs have increased throughout professional sports in America. The Cardinals tickets are relatively cheap compared to other franchises. You could have a PSL and 300 dollar per seat ticket every Sunday.

Stewie Griffin

Veteran
Reaction score
Season ticket prices arent directly tied to the teams success. There are costs involved in staffing and operating a stadium that size. Costs have increased throughout professional sports in America. The Cardinals tickets are relatively cheap compared to other franchises. You could have a PSL and 300 dollar per seat ticket every Sunday.
I get that, but at the same time when NFL owners are making record profits largely due to tv deals, etc. I highly doubt they’re passing that through by giving the concession workers, accountants, and maintenance workers an additional 2%. I’m not going to speak for everyone else in that building, but had the Cardinals raised a banner or two during my time as a season ticket holder, I’d have little problem paying more.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yup, I started writing the same before but decided I couldn't be bothered.

Ticket sales have little to do with on field performance and more to do with energy prices, salaries etc. You will often see that worse teams have lower tickets that great teams, but that's because the great teams are bending the fans over, not that the bad teams have room to cut.

The Cardinals had the 3rd cheapest season tickets in the league last year.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
that toss of PP21 was epic

I always wondered, between him and DHop getting caught with the banned substance, and later it being revealed Bidwill and Keim using burner phones-- did the cardinals execs purposefully create a cheaters environment?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that toss of PP21 was epic

I always wondered, between him and DHop getting caught with the banned substance, and later it being revealed Bidwill and Keim using burner phones-- did the cardinals execs purposefully create a cheaters environment?

I wouldn’t put it past any of the morons who ran the team at that point.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lol, there may be some truth to that but the people in charge need to read the room. If the product on the field is crap and all you are doing is raising prices and running off a chunk of your long time loyal fan base, I don't think that is a good thing for any franchise. For as bad as this franchise has been historically, it's that loyal fan base that got them thru those many lean years. Obviously, if they start winning, all the fair weather and bandwagon fans will jump on board and nobody will care. But if they don't, look out.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Lol, there may be some truth to that but the people in charge need to read the room. If the product on the field is crap and all you are doing is raising prices and running off a chunk of your long time loyal fan base, I don't think that is a good thing for any franchise. For as bad as this franchise has been historically, it's that loyal fan base that got them thru those many lean years. Obviously, if they start winning, all the fair weather and bandwagon fans will jump on board and nobody will care. But if they don't, look out.
costs are inflated. this has really nothing to do with wins and losses. Like i mentioned before the cardinals are one of the cheapest tickets in the league. Increases happen

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh… that fan base didn’t get them through anything. Revenue sharing got them through and will continue to.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
costs are inflated. this has really nothing to do with wins and losses. Like i mentioned before the cardinals are one of the cheapest tickets in the league. Increases happen
Then they lose so many season ticket sales that they make little, if anything, and will have alienated a base of folks they should be counting on. Yes, by all means, raise prices, but not by 1/4.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Then they lose so many season ticket sales that they make little, if anything, and will have alienated a base of folks they should be counting on. Yes, by all means, raise prices, but not by 1/4.
Meh.. you act like theres some band of brothers of face painting super fans that are going to stage some eye opening walkout. Its a football team, people will come and watch football and drink beer and eat the food. Its just part of doing business with professional sports in America. Ticket increases happen, gotta swallow it up.

I will say though 25% is a little steep, however the Cardinals have very cheap tickets so they are just playing catch up with the current costs

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Meh.. you act like theres some band of brothers of face painting super fans that are going to stage some eye opening walkout. Its a football team, people will come and watch football and drink beer and eat the food. Its just part of doing business with professional sports in America. Ticket increases happen, gotta swallow it up.

I will say though 25% is a little steep, however the Cardinals have very cheap tickets so they are just playing catch up with the current costs
It's not a little steep; 1/4 price raise is awful. And you might minimize the issue, but if a bunch of ASFNers are canceling, many more people are canceling too. Very poor business practice. First, to be so far behind in pricing, then to try to make it all up in one offseason. But the Cards are known for dumb decisions.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

That's not the way supply and demand works, bro. Ticket increases happen, fans decide to spend their money elsewhere, and then you feature an empty stadium, which discourages more people from coming.

The Cards aren't competing against the Giants, Jets, and 49ers for season-ticket dollars. Those are some of the highest cost-of-living areas in the country. Phoenix is actually among the 20th-lowest CoL areas in the country -- tied with Detroit. Their hard costs are anchored to their region, not the rest of the NFL.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's not a little steep; 1/4 price raise is awful. And you might minimize the issue, but if a bunch of ASFNers are canceling, many more people are canceling too. Very poor business practice. First, to be so far behind in pricing, then to try to make it all up in one offseason. But the Cards are known for dumb decisions.
I went to a game this year and was shocked at how cheap it was.

Even a 1/4 price increase wouldn't be much. Bad optics for sure, but I doubt it affects ticket sales too much. Cowboys fans will still gladly pay the price.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Amazon operates many of their departments at a loss so they have a market presence in those areas. They are able to do this because they fund their entire company with their profits from their AWS department.

You are debating this like the profitability of the stadium is the driving aspect of the profitability of the franchise. It isn't. TV contract money dwarfs the profits that come from home games. So, it kind of comes down to whether or not you want your stadium filled with opposing fans, casual fans, or no fans vs a majority of dedicated fans. Another example of billionaires needing to decide how rich they want to be.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Whether 25% is steep really depends on when prices last went up and by how much.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amazon operates many of their departments at a loss so they have a market presence in those areas. They are able to do this because they fund their entire company with their profits from their AWS department.

You are debating this like the profitability of the stadium is the driving aspect of the profitability of the franchise. It isn't. TV contract money dwarfs the profits that come from home games. So, it kind of comes down to whether or not you want your stadium filled with opposing fans, casual fans, or no fans vs a majority of dedicated fans. Another example of billionaires needing to decide how rich they want to be.

Cards already have some of the cheapest tickets in the league. Do they offer a worse football experience than the Panthers, Bears, Jets, and a dozen other franchises that are more expensive?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard