Week 8 of the Arizona Cardinals off season thread. 02/26/24-03/03/24

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hard to see how teams could be high on Calijah Kancey who went #19 last year but less so on Newton.

Very similar size, similar stats, similar traits, but I think Newton is better and possibly a little bigger. I'd be surprised if Newton made it to #27.
Kancey was a late bloomer in terms of draft hype while Newton has been hyped since last year & others probably gotten bored with him. Doesn’t help Byron Murphy has taken his shine as well.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Hard to see how teams could be high on Calijah Kancey who went #19 last year but less so on Newton.

Very similar size, similar stats, similar traits, but I think Newton is better and possibly a little bigger. I'd be surprised if Newton made it to #27.
Johnny Newton's body type is kind of unimpressive though. He looks similar to Kancey, if Kancey was to put on 20 lbs of fat directly on his belly and love handles. And while he is a pass rusher, I've read scouting reports that talk about how much he struggled against big OL in the run game. Some of that was said about Kancey too, but this DL group is a bit deeper than last years, so that can really push a DL down.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Kancey was a late bloomer in terms of draft hype while Newton has been hyped since last year & others probably gotten bored with him. Doesn’t help Byron Murphy has taken his shine as well.
Murphy is similar in size to Newton, but one looks like a rocked up stud while the other one looks tubby. Guess which guy I'm talking about.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Deeper draft class?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Kancey was viewed as a pass rusher. Newton is viewed as a guy who can rush the passer.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Who would have thought the best guy for the job would be the one Monti just worked with. Crazy coincidence.

Why wouldn't you want the visionary behind this boring schedule release video?

Still way better than the nothing-burger the Cards put out last year.
LOL! That was actually a cool concept just horribly executed. Home, away? Barely getting a look at who the teams are? Fail....

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
If they sign Evans, do they still draft MHJ, or does this allow a slight trade down to get Nabers or Odunze plus additional picks? And then get a DL/Edge and OL in the 1st? Basically 3 1st rounders?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
if you sign Chase Young -- one year prove it deal? two year deal that isnt terrible if you have to cut him after year one?

so up and down on a stacked 49er defense -- no idea what you are getting from him

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
if you sign Chase Young -- one year prove it deal? two year deal that isnt terrible if you have to cut him after year one?

so up and down on a stacked 49er defense -- no idea what you are getting from him
I think he's going to get a long term deal. There should be a group of teams that line up to sign him now.