Week 5 of the Arizona Cardinals off season. 02/05/24-02/11/24

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I agree with pretty much everything else you're saying, but this is a tough one to swallow. There are a lot of really good fan bases for terrible or middling franchises. There are franchises like the Rams who have been extremely good and mostly get 40% opponent attendance at their brand new stadium.

I think great traditions correlate with great fan bases, and Michael and team have done little to generate great tradition among the fan base, so you get memorable events like a season-ticket hike being especially salient.
Could be a fair point. Rams have also bounced around a ton which is similar to the Cardinals and a reason they still have a fan problem despite their winning. I look at the Patriots. They were meh for a long time. Then the start winning and now have a huge fan base. Dallas has been competitive over multiple decades and have won titles. Pittsburgh...the same. Green Bay...the same. Minnesota haven't won titles but have been a competitive franchise. Seattle blew up once they started winning.

What I know is that Baltimore has probably the best fan base of a team that has relocated states or started new in the past 30 years, and a lot of that has to do with them being a winning franchise for the majority of it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As sure as you were about Zaven Collins?

Yeah. Zaven was coming on just fine at ILB. He had 100 tackles, 11 TFL's, 2 sacks, a FF, an INT and 6 PD's in his 2nd year. He was doing just fine in a bad defense.

He was asked to move position last year and start again which I think was a mistake and I wouldn't be surprised to see him move back.

I'm perfectly fine with my Zaven take thanks. At least I have positive takes to stand by rather than just calling everyone ass.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
...other than the posters directly reporting that they are being pitched a 25% rise in pricing?

Show me. There's absolutely nothing online about price rises and could well be they were referring to last years recent hike.

Do you not think had they increased prices 2 years in a row by 25% there would be lots of online coverage?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Show me. There's absolutely nothing online about price rises and could well be they were referring to last years recent hike.

Do you not think had they increased prices 2 years in a row by 25% there would be lots of online coverage?
There wasn't a lot of online coverage last year when they increased prices by 25% (which you agree happened). Maybe not any. This doesn't qualify as "news" in this country.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There wasn't a lot of online coverage last year when they increased prices by 25% (which you agree happened). Maybe not any. This doesn't qualify as "news" in this country.

There really was. Certainly plenty in AZ sports coverage and things like Reddit threads complaining, but nothing this year at all.

And it would make more news, not less, with it being two consecutive 25% rises.

Easy to solve. Season ticket holders like @Brian in Mesa. Have you been notified of a 25% increase on last season?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Based on what?
They have technically met the threshold of selling out the stadium since it opened. People not showing up or choosing to sell on 3rd party sites is another matter. Also, selling out is no longer meaning 100% of tickets sold. The NFL lowered it a few years ago to help teams meet black out requirements.

You must be registered for see images attach

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There really was. Certainly plenty in AZ sports coverage and things like Reddit threads complaining, but nothing this year at all.

Easy to solve. Season ticket holders like @Brian in Mesa. Have you been notified of a 25% increase on last season?
We haven't been affected. I think I posted last year that our seats went up $15 total.

Paid exactly the same amount this season, so... :shrug:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Okay.

tennis-player

Veteran
Reaction score
I think the seat location determines when and how much the price increase has been. Our lower-level tickets for the 23 season went up about $1,000, which is more than 25%. That is one of the reasons we did not renew last year after 25+ years.

These were relatively expensive seats for SFS, Cardinal side, row 4, 45 yard line. But they would be inexpensive compared to other cities.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

Easier to solve. Go back and look at my original post where I said my father is giving up his tickets he’s held since 1988 because ticket price went up 25%.

Or are you calling me and my father liars?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Easier to solve. Go back and look at my original post where I said my father is giving up his tickets he’s held since 1988 because ticket price went up 25%.

Or are you calling me and my father liars?
[/QUOTE]

Last year. They haven't gone up this year as Brian just confirmed.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I confirmed that our seats didn't go up. Not sure about others in different parts of the stadium.
Exactly. My Dad’s didn’t go up all that much last year, but this year they surged.

And we’re not talking bad seats. We’re talking 45 yard line, lower Bowl, Cardinals side. 25% markup on four tickets for an entire season…. After being awful at home and in general for half a decade. I think it’s short-sighted on his part, but I sure as hell can’t blame him or anyone else who told the Cards to go pound sand at this point, increase or not.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I'm a Phoenix native and we've been saying that since they came here like 40 years ago (can't be that long, really).

There are tons of people who will go to games for free or would cheer for the Cards if they're not playing their real favorite team. That opens the door. But the Cards haven't done anything to keep the Southeast Valley from dumping them for Brock Purdy. What have they done to show the Cards fan base we're appreciated by them?

They stripped away the best Cardinals tradition -- training camp in Flagstaff. They built a sports book or something on a big portion of the Great Lawn. It's just a bad look.
me too

ive gone from being annoyed 25 years ago by all the fans from [insert upper midwest team here] to annoyed by all the fans from [various pacific coast cities].

at one level, the Cards have the same regional problem as many sunbelt / destination cities. I have a friends in Tampa, Nashville and Charlotte and the experience there is almost identical to here: its always a question of the split between hometown attendance vs the fans of the visiting team (who by and large: aren't visiting -- they live there).

winning will solve *some* of that -- increasing the base of locals who get emotionally hooked during the good times -- but I am not sure it will ever be where 99% of the crowd is consistently Cardinal fans.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I am not sure it will ever be where 99% of the crowd is consistently Cardinal fans.
No, but no team is really like that anymore. There were plenty of Honolulu Blue shirts at Levi's Stadium for the NFC Championship Game. Can't argue with the 49ers' historical success.

Winning helps. Providing an exceptional game-day experience helps. Making it easy to go to the games helps. The Cards haven't done much of any of those of late.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
When the stadium was new, I thought the Cards had sell outs every game. It was a very loud and deafening stadium that caused false starts, etc. with the visiting team?
What happened to those days, games?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the stadium was new, I thought the Cards had sell outs every game. It was a very loud and deafening stadium that caused false starts, etc. with the visiting team?
What happened to those days, games?
That's easy. When we are winning, it's like that. We have just gone through the most brutal two year stretch on losing home games in the entire history of the franchise. Look it up if you don't believe me. You won't find worse years than the last two. When we suck people don't want to go. It's a considerable effort to get to the stadium, and a lot of money, for most people.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We haven't been affected. I think I posted last year that our seats went up $15 total.

Paid exactly the same amount this season, so... :shrug:
Agree. As I said in another thread, I think my ticket package went up about $250 total for the two tix. But there is also a 9th home game this year, so I think that may be the difference.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
No, but no team is really like that anymore. There were plenty of Honolulu Blue shirts at Levi's Stadium for the NFC Championship Game. Can't argue with the 49ers' historical success.

Winning helps. Providing an exceptional game-day experience helps. Making it easy to go to the games helps. The Cards haven't done much of any of those of late.
i will say this

i was in the stadium for the NFC Champ game vs the Eagles. That was something like 95% Cardinal fans and they showed out. (Which -- two weeks prior took grief for slow ticket sales for the first playoff game vs ATL). An electricity was in the air beginning on the great lawn and into the stadium. So loud start to finish.

Most Cards fans (Phoenix fans) might be front runners, but when they run, they do it.