These guys?

ARIZONA CARDINALS

Round 1 (8): LB Isaiah Simmons, Clemson
Round 3 (72): T Josh Jones, Houston
Round 4 (114): DI Leki Fotu, Utah
Round 4 (131): DI Rashard Lawrence, LSU
Round 6 (202): LB Evan Weaver, Cal
Round 7 (222): RB Eno Benjamin, Arizona State

Day 1: Simmons’ versatility has been well documented, but that doesn’t mean it’s any less impressive. He played 100 or more snaps in 2019 at linebacker, strong safety, free safety, slot cornerback and edge defender. On top of that, he did everything that you could want a defender to do well, earning grades of 80.0 or higher as a run defender, pass rusher, tackler and coverage defender. He will probably end up playing primarily at linebacker in the NFL and figures to become one of the top coverage players and athletes at the position.

“Simmons’ ability to blur the linebacker/safety positional designation is going to be a defensive coordinator’s best friend at the next level. Simmons is the definition of what you want in a modern linebacker.” — PFF’s Mike Renner

Day 2: The Cardinals didn’t have a Round 2 selection, but we’ll give them a pass considering they used that pick to steal away Deandre Hopkins from the Houston Texans. Any time you can add the second-most-valuable wide receiver in the NFL per PFF WAR over the last five seasons for that kind of compensation, you pull the trigger. Hopkins adds an elite, do-it-all option for Kyler Murray that Arizona otherwise lacked as Larry Fitzgerald continues to get up there in age.

Josh Jones — PFF’s fourth-ranked offensive tackle and 14th ranked prospect overall — fell all the way to the Cardinals at 72nd overall, a high-end prospect at tremendous value who fills a need. Jones has plenty of starting experience stemming from his time at Houston, playing 600 or more offensive snaps and earning grades of 65.0 or higher in each of 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. He really elevated his game this past season, though, with an overall grade of 93.4 that ranked second to Penei Sewell among all qualifying FBS offensive tackles.

Day 3: The Cardinals made beefing up the interior of their defensive line a priority on Day 3 with selections of both Leki Fotu and Rashard Lawrence in Round 4. Fotu, in particular, has some intriguing qualities as a nose tackle, namely his massive size and long frame. His ability to move the line of scrimmage suits him well in the run game, where he picked up an 83.4 grade in 2019, but he’s extremely limited as a pass rusher at this point. There’s a good chance he continues to improve in the NFL.

Draft Grade: A+​

Guess we should bring Keim back to get those rave PFF grades.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Based on some other recent comments and posts, we've entered the 'Acceptance' stage of off-season Cardinals grief...Justifying trading down and altering draft plans away from top, blue chip talent.

I get what your saying, the chances of hitting top 5 are a little better than 6-10. But nobody knows who is blue chip.

Nobody knew Micah Parsons was going to be the Edge monster he is, or Aaron Donald was going to be one of the greatest of all time. Nobody knew Lamar was going to be Lamar, even the Ravens.

By the same token there are hundreds of top 10 players that were bums or meh. Chase Young was going to be a superstar 15 sacks a season sure thing. People thought Bryce Young was the best QB last year. Tyree Wilson went before Bijan Robinson and Jalen Carter (lol). Jeff Okudah was going to be the next P2.

And WR is probably the biggest disappointment of all position. I wrote recently that only twice this century as the 1st WR taken been the best WR in the draft, which is far worse than all other positions.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
interesting:

Daniel Jeremiah AND PFF are both projecting a Minny / Arizona trade in their recent mock drafts.

one quote from Jeremiah sticks with me: "rankings are about what we see in prospects, mock drafts are about what we are hearing"

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
interesting:

Daniel Jeremiah AND PFF are both projecting a Minny / Arizona trade in their recent mock drafts.

one quote from Jeremiah sticks with me: "rankings are about what we see in prospects, mock drafts are about what we are hearing"
They have been avid readers of the Pioneer Press for very long time.

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
Honestly tho- a C is appropriate in my books. B would have been making a splash with at least one playmaker since we have the cap. A would have been resigning Hollywood to the same contract the chiefs did.

This roster in its current form is worse than where we were week 17. I still can track the logic in montis moves, but hey it is what it is.

Agree that I’m much more concerned about killing it in the draft than free agency.