Day 2 Grade?

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
You think their picks last year prove that they are experts? They traded away the DROY for the 4th best OT in the draft and the #27 pick.

Monti should get hate for that trade..not praise. He got whipped by the Texans, who used their picks to get the 2 best players in the draft and go from one of the worst teams in the league to winning a playoff game in 1

Oh sorry didn’t realize we were moving the goal posts and not talking about how you’re acting like the Cards were projected to win the Superbowl last year and Monti and JG “put together a 4 win season.”

Will Paris+ Robinson end up being a good trade? Time will tell. So far Paris is not “the 4th best OT” in last years draft and is working out well. And if Robinson becomes our next Dockett, then no one is going to complain. So I’m not understanding the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

OP
OP
F

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Oh sorry didn’t realize we were moving the goal posts and not talking about how you’re acting like the Cards were projected to win the Superbowl last year and Monti and JG “put together a 4 win season.”

Will Paris+ Robinson end up being a good trade? Time will tell. So far Paris is not “the 4th best OT” in last years draft and is working out well. And if Robinson becomes our next Dockett, then no one is going to complain. So I’m not understanding the wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Paris was definitely not as good as Wright, Skoronski or Jones last year.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This was an extremely rare number of draft picks to use in the first two days. Time will tell, but outside of Marvin, I don't think we drafted any true impact players with those picks. And Monti really didn't address the pass rush with his first 7 picks, which seems almost impossible considering how abysmal the pass rush was to end the year. Maybe Robinson turns into a solid rusher, but I don't see it.

Overall, this team is definitely more talented than it was on Wednesday, but it feels like a quantity over quality draft for a team in desperate need of more star players.

FlMike1969

Reaction score
So here is how I look at the draft. There are two camps as has been pointed out. Pundits and Teams. The pundits go down the stat sheets and start picking off the top ten in each category they like to refer to. They then do a little 5 minute video review to make a quick assessment, make some notes and roll with their Nostradameus like views that they have it all figured out. The teams on the other hand review their years performance week by week, game by game. They pay guys handsomely to do nothing but review what failed and figure out what would have worked. They then spend countless more hours looking through the ranks to find players that might fit that mold. This is why guys like a Tom Brady can fall down in a draft and get over looked to go on and have stellar careers. The last part of that puzzle is an interview. personality and character matter. It can and should be the difference between a guy going high or lower in the draft. Hot dogs and egomaniacs are not good team players and not always a good fit. Not everyone can be a neon Deion.

It appears to me a lot of those big name players that get passed over have injury issues. The one thing I will say I like about this draft, is the guys have size. These men only have a short playing time window, and the small guys just get beat up. Still not convinced Kyler Murray is the answer. Keim screwed the Cardinals on that deal, should have just let it play out or taken the best trade he could have and moved on.

I give it an A thus far

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right now it’s fair to grade based on perceived scheme/fit and value, since no one knows how any of these guys will turn out. Once you start to understand how they actually will turn out, what you think right now is no longer relevant. Or we could just shut the board down until training camp if you’d like?
You’re still making the argument of why we shouldn’t make a verdict on these dudes right now, lol. You say one thing, but you say the complete opposite the next sentence.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Have to admit this thread has given me a good laugh. It reminds me of why I like the Draft so much. Also, reminds me of these words of advice.
"Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift,
And that is why we call it the present."

And the present I'm hoping for, in order:
*WR
*Edge or DL
*Safety
*ILB
*OL

Just a reminder, even if the Bears have done a better job, if that's what people think, it doesn't mean that Monti hasn't done a VG job.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Everything was cool until they traded down from 35. They needed that spot to draft someone who will play, but we'll have to see. A RB, and TE on the second day is questionable. They reached and tried to be the smartest guy in the room a couple times. I had wished IOL was addressed more in round 3 and wr earlier like at 35 round 2. I would have taken a wr at 35 probably over a cb. With all the needs I would have waited until round 4 for a rb. Everyone is going to be looking for the next Tyreek Hill today in round 4; making that 2nd wr taken crucial in round 2. Another Rutgers pick on D. Sure hope that works out. C-

Last edited:

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Right now it’s fair to grade based on perceived scheme/fit and value, since no one knows how any of these guys will turn out. Once you start to understand how they actually will turn out, what you think right now is no longer relevant. Or we could just shut the board down until training camp if you’d like?

As someone who seems familiar with the 'scheme,' please detail it so I can assess fit and value and adjust my perceptions accordingly.

Quagmire

The thread killa strikes again
Reaction score
C: I like the positions they selected, but not the players. If Koolaid, Beebe, Corum become All Pros then it becomes an F. Grade would also have been higher if they walked away with a '25 2nd or 3rd rounder instead of seven rookies.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Everything was cool until they traded down from 35. They needed that spot to draft someone who will play, but we'll have to see. A RB, and TE on the second day is questionable. They reached and tried to be the smartest guy in the room a couple times. I had wished IOL was addressed more in round 3 and wr earlier like at 35 round 2. I would have taken a wr at 35 probably over a cb. With all the needs I would have waited until round 4 for a rb. Everyone is going to be looking for the next Tyreek Hill today in round 4; making that 2nd wr taken crucial in round 2. Another Rutgers pick on D. Sure hope that works out. C-
It seems pretty obvious that they want to build a strong running game, so LG, blocking TE, and backup RB were needed. I don't question the positions picked, but it did seem to me that there may have been better guys available at those positions (except Benson), but I'll defer to the professionals.

I'd give today a B

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
They clearly have a vision and clearly drafted guys they like.

Melton was one of the corners I looked into throughout the process. He's an outstanding athlete and plays Rutgers tough. Ask Harrison who was the toughest corner he faced all year and he will tell you it was Melton. This is the type of scouting that nets good players, find the guys who fit what you want and get them.

Trey Benson was my RB1 in this class. He is explosive with good size and has wiggle. He also doesn't have a ton of carries, so he is fresh. This pick also shows some foresight; Conner isn't getting younger and he tends to get nicked up every year. I don't really view Carter as a guy that you want to fill in for your starter, so there was a need for a RB.

I'll admit, I wasn't as focused on the guard class as many others. From what I'm seeing, Isiah Adams was a guy that assistant OL coach Chris Cook loved. He worked with him at the Senior Bowl so he got an extended view of what kind of player he is. Scouts love him on the move, and the Cardinals love to have their guards pull in the run game. I care much more about fit than I do about where Kel Kiper ranks a player. Many fans wanted Cooper Beebe, but if you watched his tape, he didn't look like a fit in what the Cardinals do on offense...he's a below average mover and would like struggle to get to his spots in the running game.

Tip Reiman was my first real head scratcher, not because I didn't think it was a need, but because he wasn't a guy I was targeting. But sometimes we miss out on guys because there are so many players to "scout". Reiman literally tested as the 10th most athletic TE since 1987. We are talking about a pool of THOUSANDS of players. He fits a clear role on the roster: the Cardinals needed a jumbo blocking TE. He will play quite a bit and his athleticism means that he can be that guy who comes on the field to block 10 times and on the 11th time he slips out to flat while no one is looking and gets a 30 yard gain. He's massive and is tough as nails, and fills a clear role on the offense.

As Harry noted, Elijah Jones was one of those guys that was ranked later, but I absolutely love his profile. Good size, speed and production. He was one of the stingiest cornerbacks in the nation. Under ESPNs QBR, he gave up a 3.9 out of 100 when targeted last year and had five interceptions. That's insane. If we are drafting based on last year's production and athletic profile, Elijah Jones is easily being considered at least a second round picks.

And I'm already bullish about Marvin Harrison Jr and Darius Robinson. I think the Cardinals added key pieces to their biggest needs on day one, and then filled out some of their biggest needs on day two. The CB group especially looks substantially better with Murphy-Bunting, Max Melton, Garrett Williams, and Elijah Jones. This group has size and speed and the scrubs have been pushed off the roster.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved the Benson pick as he was the RB I wanted us to get. That's why I might be a little more positive than some of you. Didn't particularly like the trade down. Ok, you get a CB that everyone is now trying to say is the guy we wanted all along. But then we use that pick on a guy I don't think will make it, Adams. The TE and second CB are fine.

I say B-, Benson saved the day. But, it's all fun and games. Hope Adams is a day 1 starter and a stud for years.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
@HookemCards

Not sure I have noticed this before - my favorite teams are exactly the same as yours (outside of not being hockey fan).

What has happened to the baseball Cardinals? Jeesh.

You must be registered for see images attach

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Happy with the positions not necessarily who and where they were selected.

Pick 43 - there had been rumors the cards liked Melton for a while so to get who I think was their guy and add a 3rd is an A+

Pick 66 - rb was something I wanted in rd 3/4 . Didn’t think Benson would be available and liked guys like Estime and Allen at the back end or rd 3 or at 104. This one gets a B

Pick 71 - Adams may be awesome but passing on guys like Haynes and Beebe was head scratching. If he’s a better fit than great but this one gets a D from me.

Pick 84 - definitely wanted a TE but more in the 5/6 range and thought guys like All and Reimann made sense. Just seems early for a guy that’s mostly been a blocking TE. Grade C

Pick 90- Jones is a player I liked and am ok with. I feel we needed more than one CB but with players like D Carter at DT and Adisa Isaac ED available I would have preferred one of them. Grade B

Overall I’m hopeful and every player drafted is now one of my favorites. Overall grade for me is a C+

OP
OP
F

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
It's not necessarily the players they got.. it's that combined on where they got them. I may be wrong, but I think we could have gotten Adam's, Reiman, and Jones on day 3. We have picks today..including 104. I would have been much less confused with Adam's at 104 instead of 71...or Reiman at 104 instead of 82.

If that's correct and any of the guys at 71, 82, or 90 would still be on at #104 or later....then we could have used those picks to trade up, like most people thought we would..and we could be sitting here with Dallar Turner or Terrion Arnold.

Who knows...it just felt like going into yesterday with 5 picks, we were going to come away with starters...and I think we got 1 starter out of 5 picks

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not necessarily the players they got.. it's that combined on where they got them. I may be wrong, but I think we could have gotten Adam's, Reiman, and Jones on day 3. We have picks today..including 104. I would have been much less confused with Adam's at 104 instead of 71...or Reiman at 104 instead of 82.

If that's correct and any of the guys at 71, 82, or 90 would still be on at #104 or later....then we could have used those picks to trade up, like most people thought we would..and we could be sitting here with Dallar Turner or Terrion Arnold.

Who knows...it just felt like going into yesterday with 5 picks, we were going to come away with starters...and I think we got 1 starter out of 5 picks
Very Similar to how I feel. You should not take sleepers in round 3 - they are sleepers because you draft them in rounds 5,6, and 7.

Reiman does look interesting and I can see him playing a lot of downs and being useful just for his blocking, but I just don’t believe he wouldn’t have been available at 104.

It really seems the cards put way too much emphasis on senior bowl performance.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I love what I've read about Tip and Benson's speed, but a couple of these guys might have been available a couple of rounds later. I also loved Illinois, but 2 guys on day 2. They are in Michigan, OSUs conference. You're taking 2 guys that high from that school?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn