Cardinals at Commanders gameday thread 9-10-23

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that a week ago, you would have had the Giants on that list.
you're guessing wrong. I even predicted we might win before Sundays game and have never been impressed by the makeup of this Giants team.

But hey... keep mischaracterizing my arguments to your hearts content. Seems to make you feel better for some reason, so glad I can help.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
you're guessing wrong. I even predicted we might win before Sundays game and have never been impressed by the makeup of this Giants team.

But hey... keep mischaracterizing my arguments to your hearts content. Seems to make you feel better for some reason, so glad I can help.
Reading comp. I did use the word GUESSING.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For me it’s because the top priority of a team with a first round QB is developing that QB or determining if they’re a Rosen-level bust. That development and determination is more important than winning now.

Clayton Tune isn’t going to be the starting quarterback for the Arizona Cardinals. Ever. Either Kyler is ill-suited to the new staff and we draft a new option or Kyler sticks and we build around him.

Based on that, we need to focus on developing and determining the quality of the players on the rest of the offense. Can’t do that with a complete liability under center. You have to try and do better.

Are you saying that he won't be the "planned" long term starter or that he will never start a game?

Because... he's gunna start some games this season. When the only thing keeping the boos from being heard in week 4 is the cheers of all the Cowboys fans in the building the desperation will kick in.

I don't know of Dobbs is going to get himself hurt by holding onto the ball too long or get himself benched because the offense can't get into the endzone, but he isn't going to last. Tune might be so terrible that Dobbs is quickly given the job back, but Tune will get a look.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cool “reading comp” insult. Coulda just said “Oh… I was wrong.”

Keep keeping on Garth.
I'll try to explain where I'm coming from. I'm 86 years old and with the exception of two years in the Army, I've lived in NY all my life. And for about 75 years I've been a Cardinals fan, while most of my friends were Giant fans, although when the Jets came into existence, some Giant fans switched to the Jets. So for 75 years, I've had to argue for the Cardinals often. And, as they say that old habits die hard, so I hope that when I 'see' MY TEAM not being treated fairly, I react. I don't mean to insult anyone, but like I said, old habits die hard.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be fair, I'm guessing they were cross-pressured by an owner/GM who were constrained by a $2.25 million guaranteed salary on Colt. I imagine that Michael, who has shown in the past can be charmed by washed up QBs, asked them to see what Colt had left in the tank.

It's equally on the coaching staff and GM that they couldn't convince Dobbs that he would have been in a better situation here OR decide that David Blough or Driscoll weren't going to work and find new solutions.

Side note: I think the market correction on the defense is going to be pretty profound this time next week.

If you were a QB what could anyone say to you to make you turn down $2m guaranteed to back up Deshaun Watson and a playoff contender and come to the Cardinals with an injured QB and a weak roster on paper?

What would those magic words be?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes. Having people liked up next to you or an RB running off your side is "help." It tightens your need to guess where the opposing player is coming from or reduces the area you need to cover.

When a cornerback knows that he has safety or linebacker coverage to the inside, he's getting help.

If this is your definition of help then PJ had no more or less help than any other tackle.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yup watched a bunch of the film now and Fro had a good game. Not sure what PFF were watching.
This is why I don't believe PFF.

Remember that monster game David Johnson had against the Eagles years ago? They gave him like an 80 grade. During Arians first year, almost the entire team was sub 60. How does a team win 10 games where the entire team is replacement level or below? It looked like bias to me.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't think much of Wilkerson and I may have overestimated Will Hernandez (thinking he is above replacement). Because of these things, I find it tough to really evaluate DJ, Paris or Fro.
Daron Payne and Jonathan Allen are probably the best DT pair in the league, and it's really tough to contain two players of that magnitude at the same time. Even pretty good IOL are going to look rough against those two.

In the clips I've seen, it looks like Wilkerson was pretty bad and he was the real weak link on the interior. Humphries had a bad game too.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I wonder if teams are going to start franchising their QB’s after their rookie deals rather than giving them franchise crippling deals. Guys like Burrow and Herbert are worth their deals individually but they won’t be able to keep the guys that make the QB better.

Everyone laughed at Washington franchising Cousins but they only gave him big money for two years.

And Washington has been a catastrophe since he left. Imagine casting Cousins leaving as a good idea.
If you were a QB what could anyone say to you to make you turn down $2m guaranteed to back up Deshaun Watson and a playoff contender and come to the Cardinals with an injured QB and a weak roster on paper?

What would those magic words be?
You’ll start the first four games.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Yup watched a bunch of the film now and Fro had a good game. Not sure what PFF were watching.
Fro played like hot garbage, only one who played worse was the dumpster fire right there next to him

Both Wilkinson and Froholdt were terrible - but he's an Arizona Cardinal - that you've publicly stuck up and vouched for - so you're going to see what you want to see

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And Washington has been a catastrophe since he left. Imagine casting Cousins leaving as a good idea.

You’ll start the first four games.

Over $2m guaranteed? Nah. I'd take that G money all day. As would you.

He knows he's a backup by now, and lucky to be one. He's not angling to start, he's angling to make bank before he goes off to design rockets or whatever.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Over $2m guaranteed? Nah. I'd take that G money all day. As would you.

He knows he's a backup by now, and lucky to be one. He's not angling to start, he's angling to make bank before he goes off to design rockets or whatever.
$2 million guaranteed plus a chance to start 6 games or more? Six starts when you perform well quickly becomes the Chase Daniels life instead of dangling on as a #3 starter, which he was in the running for when he signed with Cleveland.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson