Giants at the Cardinals gameday thread 9-17-23

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Everyone says this, but it is garbage.

This has been going on for years - even when we are a playoff team. How about when we were 11-5 in 2014 and Arians was our coach? The next season we went 13-3, but still had to use silent counts at home because of the noise from the opposing fans in our stadium.

Arians was quoted on it many times.

“Wish it wouldn’t happen right now,” Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said. “We would hope that the visiting team wouldn’t get that many tickets and have to use a silent count at home.”

“What cost him was crowd noise,” Arians said. “He couldn’t hear early in the game because the crowd noise got us at home.”

They “have way too many tickets,” Arians said.

Winning doesn't make much difference in this town. Just means that sellout fans can sell their tickets for even more to opposing fans. (Yes, there are ticket brokers, too, but there are still plenty of sellout fans).
B, if I ever move to Arizona (which according to the wife is plausible) to quote the Liverpool slogan...you will never walk alone. I will ensure that you don't have to suffer the children by yourself brother.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They didn't lose because of competence. They lost because injuries forced them to play their starting DT's 74% of the time. And their linebackers and safeties nearly 100%.

Defense was just gassed by midway through Q3 and there were no options with multiple guys out.

You must be registered for see images attach
All this blame on the defense. It is VERY valid, but the offense is just as implicit in this loss and I'm not hearing enough about it. How bout sustaining more than a three play drive and getting your D some rest instead of having them trot back on the field only to be carved up by a supremely confident Giants offense led by Danny Dimes? Was there any doubt we were finished when it became 28-21? Jones was salivating like a starving hyena to get back on that field and dice us to pieces. I may have been drunk but I recall the NY sideline laughing at the turn of events that were going down. It's not an impossible task to ask an offense featuring Moore, Ertz, Conner and Brown to pick up 2 maybe 3 first downs and move the chains/run the clock. Petzig and more importantly Gannon were helpless to do anything about it and I'm furious over it.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes I COMPLETELY AGREE…. But go back and look during pre season with the number of people that said they were happy with what they saw from him and felt he earned his spot. Lol
Woulda rather have had Clement, and that's not an exaggeration

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jets. Falcons. Seahawks uniforms are an absolute albatross. Buccaneers uniforms are really bad with the cheesy fonts and ugly pewter.

The reds would look better with some stripes and the Arizona flag coming back.
Bucs got rid of those cheesy fonts. Were you talking about the alarm clock numbers?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The ringer has lost a TON of NFL talent to the Athletic and to ESPN. I really dislike the current group other than "the play sheet" on Youtube. Will find Kevin Clark's stuff.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Everyone says this, but it is garbage.

This has been going on for years - even when we are a playoff team. How about when we were 11-5 in 2014 and Arians was our coach? The next season we went 13-3, but still had to use silent counts at home because of the noise from the opposing fans in our stadium.

Arians was quoted on it many times.

“Wish it wouldn’t happen right now,” Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said. “We would hope that the visiting team wouldn’t get that many tickets and have to use a silent count at home.”

“What cost him was crowd noise,” Arians said. “He couldn’t hear early in the game because the crowd noise got us at home.”

They “have way too many tickets,” Arians said.

Winning doesn't make much difference in this town. Just means that sellout fans can sell their tickets for even more to opposing fans. (Yes, there are ticket brokers, too, but there are still plenty of sellout fans).
We really should give more leeway to our coaches and players for playing against a stacked deck. Home field advantage can be huge and thanks to how terrible our fanbase is, the Cardinals effectively get 0 home games on their schedule. The Browns have been worse for decades and their fans always show up. If the crowd is significantly louder when you are on offense then you aren't at home.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We really should give more leeway to our coaches and players for playing against a stacked deck. Home field advantage can be huge and thanks to how terrible our fanbase is, the Cardinals effectively get 0 home games on their schedule. The Browns have been worse for decades and their fans always show up. If the crowd is significantly louder when you are on offense then you aren't at home.
When the Cards are good State Farm Stadium can be pretty rocking. Even then, it gets taken over by fans of the legacy teams like Pittsburgh, Dallas, and Green Bay. STOs aren't stupid; if they see an opportunity to pay for next years' seats by selling one or two games, a lot of them will do so and enjoy the remaining six or seven.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree.

I think we all need some self reflection here. Let's stop these comments and reset. I know after I agreed with you about negative comments on Sunday, I regretted it later. There are a lot of legitimate reasons to be unhappy with this team. Some of us try to understand and explain it away because of reasons (legitimate or not) while others voice their complaints.

Let's all try our best to not say these things because they are meant to flame away at people. Let's flame away on stupid Seahawks fans instead.

When you post Dobbs highlights containing a bunch of great throws and people reply saying "3 were high and one was incomplete" it's hard to take them seriously. Yes, there are genuine things to have issues with but that's very different from the manufactured negativity.

Sitting silently in the game thread for 3 quarters, never saying anything positive about all the positive play and then suddenly coming to life when it goes pear shaped shows a deep issue.

Let's call out the people incessantly negative about everything. Not the people that call them out for it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All this blame on the defense. It is VERY valid, but the offense is just as implicit in this loss and I'm not hearing enough about it. How bout sustaining more than a three play drive and getting your D some rest instead of having them trot back on the field only to be carved up by a supremely confident Giants offense led by Danny Dimes? Was there any doubt we were finished when it became 28-21? Jones was salivating like a starving hyena to get back on that field and dice us to pieces. I may have been drunk but I recall the NY sideline laughing at the turn of events that were going down. It's not an impossible task to ask an offense featuring Moore, Ertz, Conner and Brown to pick up 2 maybe 3 first downs and move the chains/run the clock. Petzig and more importantly Gannon were helpless to do anything about it and I'm furious over it.

All true, but when the offense puts you up 21 the defense should win the game for you. They didn't stop a single 2nd half drive.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
When you post Dobbs highlights containing a bunch of great throws and people reply saying "3 were high and one was incomplete" it's hard to take them seriously. Yes, there are genuine things to have issues with but that's very different from the manufactured negativity.

Sitting silently in the game thread for 3 quarters, never saying anything positive about all the positive play and then suddenly coming to life when it goes pear shaped shows a deep issue.

Let's call out the people incessantly negative about everything. Not the people that call them out for it.
Sorry, but this is why you're getting a lot of flak early in the season--you do a big call out post each week, but think the only people allowed to be called out are darksiders. #1, we're not supposed to be doing big call outs, neener neener posts, and whatnot. #2, it's not open season on one type of poster and not another. You don't like it when the board or posters don't conform to your thoughts and approach to the team. That's fine. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I feel you don't think everyone's entitled to their opinion, and that's not fine.

You're trying to set a clear double standard. No thanks. That's not what ASFN is about.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Continued In Thread Bickering
Sorry, but this is why you're getting a lot of flak early in the season--you do a big call out post each week, but think the only people allowed to be called out are darksiders. #1, we're not supposed to be doing big call outs, neener neener posts, and whatnot. #2, it's not open season on one type of poster and not another. You don't like it when the board or posters don't conform to your thoughts and approach to the team. That's fine. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I feel you don't think everyone's entitled to their opinion, and that's not fine.

You're trying to set a clear double standard. No thanks. That's not what ASFN is about.

Nope, that's not remotely what I said.

If I said "Hump played great today" and he gave up 3 sacks and was objectively garbage you would, quite rightly, say I was talking crap.

If people are going to spend all week trashing Dobbs instead of taking the temperate approach of saying "He's only had 6 practices" and then he has a very good game, I'm going to point it out.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and people are entitled to sometimes be wrong. But there are those who are excessively and pointlessly negative about absolutely everything and I'm perfectly within my rights to point out how wrong they were when I had to spend a week (or a whole offseason) listening to them crap on the team I support more than any opposition fan ever would.

It's one thing being a fan with genuine concerns, but some have gone too far and do nothing except trash every single thing this team does.