Ravens at Cardinals gameday thread 10-29-23

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
hard to run an offense when you have a QB whose next throw might go 6 feet over the receivers head and result in an INT

I bet Drew Petzing probably has all sorts of stuff attacking the middle of the field but he cant go to very often because his QB will sail one eventually for an interception

a QB can miss right or left or low over the middle, but high gets you killed
This is the biggest reason I'm interested to see what Kyler does in this offense. Kyler has always had a lot of trouble throwing over the middle.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Budda and Jalen were above average today and it is not a negative.

Marco Wilson will be a backup next year

I like White as a pinch starter.

They need to reconstruct the DLine pretty much entirely.

No idea about Collins but he looked a smidge average the past two games.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You’ve already said you think Dortch can do his job. They’ll still have Wilson. And they’ll still have McBride. Basically the same passing game without him next year, but with 25 million bucks not spent there to be spent on someone else. Not to mention two first round picks.

Either way… pick a lane already. And if you don’t, please don’t be the guy who bags on the team for whatever decision they made as if you knew the right play all along.
I honestly haven’t made a final decision on it. Dobbs is such a limiting factor.

I think Dortch can do what Hollywood is doing right now, and I’m willing to trade Hollywood for a third (maybe). But that is really to hedge the risk of his leaving.

I don’t see the urgency to pick a lane on it right now. If the Cards were settled they’d probably have offered a $25 million AAV deal already and he would have accepted it. There is space between the extremes.

At the end of the day it’s probably like Dobbs: it’ll seem like a big deal the moment he’s re-signed or signs elsewhere, but it won’t matter much in the big picture.

1-7 with ‘em, 1-7 without ‘em.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is the biggest reason I'm interested to see what Kyler does in this offense. Kyler has always had a lot of trouble throwing over the middle.
For different reasons. Be it vision problems or just an unwillingness to throw it over the middle.

The hope is some of these run actions give him a clear throwing lane. If so then he should have no problem completing it.

However, when he's in shotgun he has to be willing to attempt it.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Anyone who didn't like the effort that the Cardinals put forth yesterday, should be thankful that they are not NY Giants' fans. If you were and if you went to yesterday's game you would have braved the elements and learned some history but been subjected to the ugliest game that I ever saw. And the history had to do with, why we call the game football. The two teams combined for 24 punts. And for good measure the Giants had negative passing yardage plus a couple of missed FG's. And you had to endure OT as well.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For different reasons. Be it vision problems or just an unwillingness to throw it over the middle.

The hope is some of these run actions give him a clear throwing lane. If so then he should have no problem completing it.

Maybe we could be innovative and have 10 players and a stepstool on offense. Might help Kyler see more clearly.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
All games under this staff so for, Cardinals had solid game plan to start.
I believe it is less about the "game plan" and more about how they use the offense to limit opponent possessions early. Defensively, they have had pretty good game plans, the problem is they don't have the personnel to "adjust". You can only do so much with smoke and mirrors before the other team catches on. Their offensive approach of limiting opposing possessions helps delay the inevitable. I am curious to see if anything changes once Kyler returns. It could be that we just see higher totals because the defense is being protected less.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Personally I was pretty pleased with the game.

Obvious limiting factor was Dobbs but I thought there were some solid performances. I thought the defense played well, O line was good, Demecardo ran very well. McBride had his best game.

If Kyler starts we likely win. Which is the best I expect.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Budda and Jalen were above average today and it is not a negative.

Marco Wilson will be a backup next year

I like White as a pinch starter.

They need to reconstruct the DLine pretty much entirely.

No idea about Collins but he looked a smidge average the past two games.
we need to send him packing

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Obvious limiting factor was Dobbs but I thought there were some solid performances. I thought the defense played well, O line was good, Demecardo ran very well. McBride had his best game.

It was a very winnable game. Ravens were prime for the picking. Just Dobbs man.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

He threw over the middle pretty well a while back. I'm more interested in seeing he got his MOJO back on the deep balls. I think all that bulking up he did screwed with his touch. But he looks narrower now...
With McBride and Wilson playing shallow Brown and Moore should be able to get behind the defense at times.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I don't know about this personally. Teams play the Cardinals differently with Dobbs at QB than they would with Kyler. No one is scared of Dobbs so it ends up being more of a prevent defense type scheme.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't know about this personally. Teams play the Cardinals differently with Dobbs at QB than they would with Kyler. No one is scared of Dobbs so it ends up being more of a prevent defense type scheme.
Teams are going to test the interior oline more when Kyler comes back.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Lamar rushed five times for 17 yards yesterday. His lowest totals of the season so far.

Maybe we just bottled him up more effectively can the Cleveland Browns did. Or maybe he was trying to unlock the Pocket Passer accomplishment and felt no need to use his legs against such a lowly opponent.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Lamar rushed five times for 17 yards yesterday. His lowest totals of the season so far.

Maybe we just bottled him up more effectively can the Cleveland Browns did. Or maybe he was trying to unlock the Pocket Passer accomplishment and felt no need to use his legs against such a lowly opponent.
I 100% believe Baltimore played "not to lose" yesterday.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When was this? I can’t remember when this field ever looked good. Especially since we started having training camps there.
Short memory! This article is from 7 years ago... after the Cards' field had been ranked the league’s best grass playing field by SI and voted best by the NFLPA two years in a row. And for most of the time since the stadium opened until then, I recall it being at or near the top of the rankings.

In this 2010 NFLPA survey, the Cardinals' field was rated highest by a huge margin.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
When was this? I can’t remember when this field ever looked good. Especially since we started having training camps there.
its over seeding season

i wonder if that field just went from pure Bermuda grass to one with a Rye overseeding

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The turf at State Farm isn't like the track at your local municipal golf course. The sod is laid down in individual trays that they can pull out and replace as needed. They don't overseed.
They don't overseed? Reminds me of Duke in the NCAA BB Tourney.