Cardinals at Commanders gameday thread 9-10-23

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m just gonna trust the coaches they saw a lot more of these guys in camp than anybody. To early IMO on Dobbs looked like hell but hardly played with the team at all. Just the fact they wanted to bring him in could speak to how bad the options we had looked to them. Let em do their jobs and see how it pans out. It’s very easy to sit at home and say this or that guy sucks, but they see much more than we do, for now I’m gonna trust their judgment.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m just gonna trust the coaches they saw a lot more of these guys in camp than anybody. To early IMO on Dobbs looked like hell but hardly played with the team at all. Just the fact they wanted to bring him in could speak to how bad the options we had looked to them. Let em do their jobs and see how it pans out. It’s very easy to sit at home and say this or that guy sucks, but they see much more than we do, for now I’m gonna trust their judgment.
They make it hard for me to trust their judgment on offense when they decided it was a good idea to go into training camp with an old, broken down never was as their starting QB.

Defense is a different story, for now. But offensively, the decision making outside Paris, has left a ton to be desired.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
They make it hard for me to trust their judgment on offense when they decided it was a good idea to go into training camp with an old, broken down never was as their starting QB.

Defense is a different story, for now. But offensively, the decision making outside Paris, has left a ton to be desired.
To be fair, I'm guessing they were cross-pressured by an owner/GM who were constrained by a $2.25 million guaranteed salary on Colt. I imagine that Michael, who has shown in the past can be charmed by washed up QBs, asked them to see what Colt had left in the tank.

It's equally on the coaching staff and GM that they couldn't convince Dobbs that he would have been in a better situation here OR decide that David Blough or Driscoll weren't going to work and find new solutions.

Side note: I think the market correction on the defense is going to be pretty profound this time next week.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don't see a lot of help here.
Love this video for 2 reaons...Shows that Paris held his own, just fine...and 2) There were missed open receivers and holes for RB's to run through...things that give hope they can be cleaned up.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think it's really hard to get a good read during OTAs. You need live action and training camp/regular season workloads. It's the same reason that the Stephen Williams of the world are always hyped up during OTAs/Training camp and then fizzle during the regular season.

That's why team scrimmages are valuable because they are closer to real NFL game conditions as opposed to a few snaps in preseason and training camp.
I liked seeing how much harder the WRs were blocking, so you saw the coaching there.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You call having people lined up next to him help?

Help is usually referred to having someone double team with him, not having TEs line up next to him who block other players.
Yes. Having people liked up next to you or an RB running off your side is "help." It tightens your need to guess where the opposing player is coming from or reduces the area you need to cover.

When a cornerback knows that he has safety or linebacker coverage to the inside, he's getting help.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yes. Having people liked up next to you or an RB running off your side is "help." It tightens your need to guess where the opposing player is coming from or reduces the area you need to cover.

When a cornerback knows that he has safety or linebacker coverage to the inside, he's getting help.
I don't think I've heard the scenario you describe be referred to as "help"

Here is a nice breakdown on some blocking concepts. Help generally refers to another lineman or a back/receiver helping you block someone.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't think I've heard the scenario you describe be referred to as "help"

Here is a nice breakdown on some blocking concepts. Help generally refers to another lineman or a back/receiver helping you block someone.

You do you, bro. I look at combo blocks and double-teams differently.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, I'm guessing they were cross-pressured by an owner/GM who were constrained by a $2.25 million guaranteed salary on Colt. I imagine that Michael, who has shown in the past can be charmed by washed up QBs, asked them to see what Colt had left in the tank.

It's equally on the coaching staff and GM that they couldn't convince Dobbs that he would have been in a better situation here OR decide that David Blough or Driscoll weren't going to work and find new solutions.

Side note: I think the market correction on the defense is going to be pretty profound this time next week.
That’s why I said “for now.” Sunday was a good start and better than I imagined they could be all season, but there’s no doubt that Washington O is definition of mid… at best. Same goes for the Giants, IMO, which is why I think the game might be close.

I expect to get our doors blown in by Dallas/SF in weeks 3 and 4.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That’s why I said “for now.” Sunday was a good start and better than I imagined they could be all season, but there’s no doubt that Washington O is definition of mid… at best. Same goes for the Giants, IMO, which is why I think the game might be close.

I expect to get our doors blown in by Dallas/SF in weeks 3 and 4.
I'm guessing that a week ago, you would have had the Giants on that list.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would have thought so too, but looking at how the Giants played, you would have thought they were the team that was 'tanking.'