What kicker would you want the Cards to sign?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Ahhhh if life were this easy. But thats cool. End of conversation.... cause you said so. By the way, making that chip shot removes the tie from our record, so I guess we need to converse a bit more to figure out your point...

Yep, I got the record wrong. Good catch.

You're telling us that this isn't about emotion, and then telling us that you expect him to miss kicks in the same breath. That's emotion, kid.

You conveniently forget that in the same game, he hit a 45 yarder in OT to put the team in position to win. Was the pressure too much for him in that clutch/pressure scenario? :shrug:

I know it was a depressing game, but don't let emotion get in the way of objectivity.

Way to condescend, tyke. Seriously, can you try to be a little more insulting here, kiddo?

No, I'm not emotional just because you say so, sport. And I didn't forget about that kick either, little guy. He's not going to miss them all, but he's missed some key ones, leaving us to wonder if he'll choke again, munchkin. It's not emotional or unreasonable for me and others to watch him trot out there and wonder what the hell we're going to get. Kid.

Agreed.

Catanzaro has gotten to the point of Neil Rackers. Every time Catanzaro comes out for a field goal or extra point, regardless of distance, I have very little faith he will make it.

Yeppers.

Reaction score
Yep, I got the record wrong. Good catch.

Way to condescend, tyke. Seriously, can you try to be a little more insulting here, kiddo?

No, I'm not emotional just because you say so, sport. And I didn't forget about that kick either, little guy. He's not going to miss them all, but he's missed some key ones, leaving us to wonder if he'll choke again, munchkin. It's not emotional or unreasonable for me and others to watch him trot out there and wonder what the hell we're going to get. Kid.

Yeppers.

Does being called kid really bother you that much? To me it's the same as buddy or pal. Not condescending at all. I have a buddy that calls everyone kid. A little over the top response imho.

Stout

Reaction score
Does being called kid really bother you that much? To me it's the same as buddy or pal. Not condescending at all. I have a buddy that calls everyone kid. A little over the top response imho.

Not really, considering the poster. I have zero doubt when he's being condescending. It's one of those things where someone's comfortable posting it online, but wouldn't talk to you like that in person. It doesn't bother me--it's so juvenile--but it certainly deserved a response. And a clever response, too, I don't mind saying :)

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Not really, considering the poster. I have zero doubt when he's being condescending. It's one of those things where someone's comfortable posting it online, but wouldn't talk to you like that in person. It doesn't bother me--it's so juvenile--but it certainly deserved a response. And a clever response, too, I don't mind saying

Oh really? Please elaborate.

Stout

Reaction score
You're a longtime poster who I've both conversed and argued with, so I have some perspective. Let's not pretend your above post wasn't a condescending ad hominem response focusing on my supposed 'emotional tone' rather than my post's actual content.

TJ

Reaction score
You're a longtime poster who I've both conversed and argued with, so I have some perspective. Let's not pretend your above post wasn't a condescending ad hominem response focusing on my supposed 'emotional tone' rather than my post's actual content.

1. Your assessment of me is 100% false on all accounts.

2. There was no personal attack intended; and now I know for future discussions to minimize colloquial language so is not to offend you or sound condescending

3. Your content and emotion regarding the kicking situation are not mutually exclusive. Emotion tends to drive knee-jerk reactions about players/coaches jobs. It's not just you, but many other fans I hear/read in response to situations (at least no one here is sending death threats to him like they did the NC State kicker a couple of weeks ago).

If Catanzaro was truly struggling to kick field goals and on kick off duty, then yes I'd be concerned, but there's not enough evidence to substantiate this, even with Sunday's missed chip shot. Does it suck? Yes. Should he have made it? Without question. But to call for his job as a result is folly. Who on the open market is better than Catanzaro? If Justin Tucker somehow became available, I'd sign him to replace Catanzaro without reservation. However, us fans have whined and complained about kickers for what seems like forever, and we finally have a solid guy who hits > 86% of his kicks while booming kickoffs out of the end zone (Jay Feely was the bane of this board for not being able to do this). Simply put, with the presented data and a global perspective, it's not something to get worked up about. If this festers and he goes on a cold streak, then this discussion has merit. Right now, it's just a knee-jerk reaction. Nothing more, nothing less.

Namaste.

Stout

Reaction score
*Head shake* You could have stopped #2 at the semicolon, but you just couldn't help yourself. At least you gave me a good laugh.

As for the topic, we can agree to disagree. I won't try to belittle your argument about Cat Man, though I'll disagree with it still. I'll also continue to say you're wrong in claiming this is an 'emotional' argument. It's a results argument, and I and others don't feel we're getting the results we need at the position.

I'm more than happy to argue the point with you, TJ, but you can drop the emotional bit. It's a false attempt to take the high ground in an argument.

TJ

Reaction score
*Head shake* You could have stopped #2 at the semicolon, but you just couldn't help yourself. At least you gave me a good laugh.

I'm more than happy to argue the point with you, TJ, but you can drop the emotional bit. It's a false attempt to take the high ground in an argument.

You can't seem to get away from my stance regarding your heightened emotions about the situation. Instead of trying to retort, you attempt to escape it by telling me to "drop it" when, in fact, it describes your thought process accurately. Your passive-aggressive shot at me only reinforces my stance.

I'm not trying to take the "high ground" by any stretch, but you do it for me when you start taking shots at me and making false inferences. You took the stance about fan emotion way too personally and can't let go. If it's not applicable, argue the point. But since it is, you can't help yourself but to perseverate over what I said and get offended.

Get over it.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

As for the topic, we can agree to disagree. I won't try to belittle your argument about Cat Man, though I'll disagree with it still. I'll also continue to say you're wrong in claiming this is an 'emotional' argument. It's a results argument, and I and others don't feel we're getting the results we need at the position.

Could you please at least write in a kind way ... you call for someones head even not even knowing with which K you would be pleased.

Since you have 0 and I repeat ZERO arguments expect for >he missed 2 FG in Clutch but the ones that he made don't count<

You know what an argument would be, go back check every game and view how many "Clutch" FG/XP he didn't make vs that who he made and than search an other Kicker that has the same % overall but better Clutch FG/XP %.

But I know you will not do it, because the only thing you do is complaining. Complaining without Facts, complaining about something that concerns you.

That's okay you can have concerns about Catanzaro, you can not trust him and make strange Voodoo dances and so on. Be Supersticious if it helps you to support the team or Catanzaro in makeing his next FG. But stop calling for an other K if you know not even one that would be aviable.

So please complain as much as you want but for the good, let the argument about fire Catanzaro.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Keep Catanzaro. Stupid coaching had a ton to do with the mess tonight.

The coaching had as much to do with that tie as anything. Trying to run a play with 7 seconds on the clock and no time outs. I do not care who our kicker is you got to kick a field goal or at least try.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
On a side note he still lives here in WI and comes into my wife's office occasionally. He is a very nice man, and one of my all time favorites. My dad used to say if there had to be a kick and his life was at stake he would want Jim Bakken to kick it.

I would agree with him. He was no 50 yd kicker but inside the 45 he was a marksman.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it was Bakken who gave Terry Metcalf the nickname "The Franchise ". 1st use of the term in my recollection.

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
Catanzaro sucks. I don't like a kicker that needs to have everything exactly perfect in order to make a chip shot kick when a big game is on the line.

Guy has missed too many XPs in the past for me to give him any kind of a benefit of the doubt. I have zero confidence in him every time he trots out to the field be it a XP, short, or long FG regardless of circumstance. I have to imagine there are guys on the Cardinals sideline that feel the same way.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
You can't seem to get away from my stance regarding your heightened emotions about the situation. Instead of trying to retort, you attempt to escape it by telling me to "drop it" when, in fact, it describes your thought process accurately. Your passive-aggressive shot at me only reinforces my stance.

I'm not trying to take the "high ground" by any stretch, but you do it for me when you start taking shots at me and making false inferences. You took the stance about fan emotion way too personally and can't let go. If it's not applicable, argue the point. But since it is, you can't help yourself but to perseverate over what I said and get offended.

Get over it.

I'm not passive aggressive--that's been more your MO on this thread. If anything, I'm pretty much aggressive-aggressive all the time.

You keep saying that I'm taking it personal and can't let go. For a while I've been having quite a laugh at your verbal squirming in claiming you never meant anything. It's entertaining me, really. I caught you out at it and you can't admit it. It's not that I can't get over it, it's that you keep doing it so I keep egging you on.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Catanzaro sucks. I don't like a kicker that needs to have everything exactly perfect in order to make a chip shot kick when a big game is on the line.

Guy has missed too many XPs in the past for me to give him any kind of a benefit of the doubt. I have zero confidence in him every time he trots out to the field be it a XP, short, or long FG regardless of circumstance. I have to imagine there are guys on the Cardinals sideline that feel the same way.

My confidence in him was not only shaken by the missed extra points last year, but Arians reluctance to let him kick anything over 50 yards last year. When the coach shows shaky confidence in the guy on the field and then he goes out and misses two game winners this year, it doesn't do anything to instill confidence.

And yes, I know he booted a 61 harder this year, but it was the exception to the rule over the past two seasons.

TJ

Reaction score
I'm not passive aggressive--that's been more your MO on this thread. If anything, I'm pretty much aggressive-aggressive all the time.

You keep saying that I'm taking it personal and can't let go. For a while I've been having quite a laugh at your verbal squirming in claiming you never meant anything. It's entertaining me, really. I caught you out at it and you can't admit it. It's not that I can't get over it, it's that you keep doing it so I keep egging you on.

Egging me on? You had a temper tantrum over being called "kid." People who egg on don't become sensitive when being called "kid" or who personalize when others think their take might be too emotional. Your denials of said personalization, I think, are even more emotional than the original take.

If you can't muster an intelligent take on the matter, I'm not further entertaining this discussion.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I like Catanazaro so far. He's still young and I think bad coaching/decision making has as much effect on him missing kicks as anything this year. Every young kicker has gone through some growing pains. Crosby and Gostowski went through them as did Vinatieri. I f he's strong mentally, he'll be a better kicker in the long run. If he's not, he'll become Neil Rackers.

As for the coaching, I hate to say it, but Richard Sherman was right, change your cadence. Also, I'm sure if Arians had to do it over, he'd have centered the ball. Still, Cat needs to make that kick but the coaching staff has not done him any favors for him and has not put him in the best situation to succeed. I mean kickers like routine and he has had two LS, two holders, and bad ST coaching yet still, on the whole, has been a pretty good kicker.

Stout

Reaction score
Ladies, ladies! Break it up, you're both pretty!

That's right, I'm a pretty pretty princess lol

Egging me on? You had a temper tantrum over being called "kid." People who egg on don't become sensitive when being called "kid" or who personalize when others think their take might be too emotional. Your denials of said personalization, I think, are even more emotional than the original take.

If you can't muster an intelligent take on the matter, I'm not further entertaining this discussion.

Nah, you're not, nor have you been, trying to take the moral high ground lol

This devolved away from the topic long ago, my friend. As for the topic, I think we should have gotten rid of him, and you don't. We've delved quite a bit into our reasoning on the issue, and I doubt either one of us will change our minds at this point, so I'm fine dropping it.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So I did resarch all Chandler Catanzaros Clutch kicks and he made 3 of 5 if you count his two kicks the last game.

He missed this year against NE and this year against Seattle.

He made two last year against the Bengals and the Vikings in clutch moments. And one in OT against Seattle this season.

So come on. Incredible.

Hauschka is 2/3 this year ... Are the Seahawks calling for Hauschka? No ...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn