What Did You Expect from this Season?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I expected a clown show of a season. Monti set us up for that, for the tank, and that's what's happening. So the losses aren't a bad thing for me. I was prepared for them and willing to suck it up for a season. I won't get into my problems with him for next season--not the topic at hand. I was hoping we'd give a lot of kids developmental time. This has happened, although McBride sitting behind the rotting corpse of Ertz was mega dumb. The culture change appears to be happening, which is good, but the coaching isn't really on point as far as penalties, discipline, etc. That and Kyler's seeming lack of any kind of meaningful change are problematic for me, especially with a team bereft of talent heading into the offseason--purposefully so, it appears.
Bad players commit penalties.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I expected us to not be competitive at all. Full tank mode for sure.

How did we beat the Cowboys with this team?

The defense has actually played much better than expected for most of the season with mostly back-ups.

Was it all worth it?
We will know more in 2024.
100%

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
The team started out better than I had anticipated. Then as players coming back down to their level of ability and the flashes from rookies and journey men fizzled out, the team moved toward where I expected them to be. Add in the injury factor on a team with no depth and you have exactly what we are seeing now. I also still believe that Murray is hitting his head against his ceiling and there will be little to no growth from him from this point on. They are exactly where I thought they would be at this point in the season.

As for the coaching, I think they have exceeded expectations with a team of this caliber. I think the GM has a long term 3-5 year plan and there are reasons they kept so much cap space and loaded up on draft picks. I think the roster cleaning will continue this off season and names (starters) familiar with Cardinal fans (the last 2-3 years) will be far and few between.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
How is this for perspective: watching the Bears last night -- i was struck by the fact that their starting 22 has signficantly more talent that the Cardinals. Pretty sure there isnt a single Cardinal on defense that would start for Chicago.

On offense -- im not sure there either.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
How is this for perspective: watching the Bears last night -- i was struck by the fact that their starting 22 has signficantly more talent that the Cardinals. Pretty sure there isnt a single Cardinal on defense that would start for Chicago.

On offense -- im not sure there either.
They've been is a rebuild for like 5 seasons.

gmartin

Reaction score
I was hoping to see the semblance of young talent coming together, and some token effort to improve both lines. Outside of the addition of PJJ, I don't remember any additions of note to either line.

How can you talk about rebuilding and neglect the trenches

gmartin

Reaction score
I think the loss of Watkins, Collier and now Fotu really has a negative affect on the d-line. There not Pro-bowlers, but decent starters.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the loss of Watkins, Collier and now Fotu really has a negative affect on the d-line. There not Pro-bowlers, but decent starters.
Those guys were part of a group who gave up 31 second half points to the freaking Giants. None of them have proven to be reliable starters, much less decent ones.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Some respectability. Highly suspect they know what they are doing given the progression of first 11 games.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think they will. The general impression I get is that most of the league thinks the Cards are on the right track. Teams can turn fast and the Cards are positioned to do so.
In all seriousness, why does the rest of the league think that?

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Low expectations and was impressed early on with what we were doing with the lack of talent. We have regressed but the injuries play a big part. I am not as old as some here but at 65 years old and a fan since 1967 I am so tired of the losing. Mixed feelings on the coaching staff. Need KM to perform.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think they will. The general impression I get is that most of the league thinks the Cards are on the right track. Teams can turn fast and the Cards are positioned to do so.
Hard disagree.

The league thinks Cardinals are on right track with a QB who is suspect, a owner under some sort of NFL investigation, subpar facilities , devoid of talent, a team that is used as place mat by other NFC West teams ?

The sum of their issues are larger than cap space and draft picks they have for the next few seasons.

I just hope the likes of Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Balmer buys this team so the long timers can have some redemption for their faith in the franchise.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I can’t think of 1 good reason. We’re a complete mess.
The buzz about the new GM & coaches is favorable. They’ve gotten more from this roster than expected despite a couple of bad losses. The team has money & picks, that’s a powerful combo. The team plays at most a limited number of bad weather games.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The buzz about the new GM & coaches is favorable. They’ve gotten more from this roster than expected despite a couple of bad losses. The team has money & picks, that’s a powerful combo. The team plays at most a limited number of bad weather games.
If the cards are willing to pay top dollar, players will come.

The league is extremely short-sighted and most players and coaches don’t know about other teams unless they’re playing them or just played them.

Well know about progress when agents are willing to engage with Monti.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is pretty much what I expected minus the flashes of hope. I really thought we would see more guys developing outside of McBride. The lack of player improvement on the defensive side is especially troubling given the resume of our HC.

Right now we just seem like a bad team in need of a lot of talent. And it doesn't even look like we will get a top 2 pick, which would be a large failure when this roster was seemingly built to lose. The only positives talked about after games are how we didn't give up, which is kind of like applauding the team for their pants not falling down after they ran out of the tunnel. The bar for this season was so ridiculously low, and it doesn't even look like they are going to reach it. I mean, we have appreciation posts on here for a defense that is 31st in the league in points allowed. We all have tried our best to keep expectations low.

I really don't see any difference between this team and terrible Cardinal teams of the past. If this was truly all part of Monti's plan, I have serious concerns.
The last paragraph really puts things in perspective for me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson