Assuming You Want the Rumors I’m Hearing

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sure, but that's not big things. That might be big things for the Chiefs or 49ers, but for a team that barely projected most projected win totals and had a relative dearth of talent, competing for a job is hardly "big things".
A fourth pick expected to compete for a starting job on any team is “big things.”

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Starting as a rookie on a team that many projected to have the top pick isn't really "big things".

All I can remember was "chance to compete" and as others said that was largely because Froholdt was a relative unknown as a starter.
Dude, there were a handful of posters slobbering all over the pick. Please.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I was told last year that was a bad reason to avoid drafting a position. See drafting mcbride the year before the big TE bonanza draft and drafting PJJ a year before what is being billed as a big OT bonanza draft.
Eh I wasn't as bullish on last year's TE class and even then, I'm not excited about drafting TE high because of the poor outcomes for so many highly drafted TEs, but I also don't believe that a second round TE that works out is a poor value either.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Eh I wasn't as bullish on last year's TE class and even then, I'm not excited about drafting TE high because of the poor outcomes for so many highly drafted TEs, but I also don't believe that a second round TE that works out is a poor value either.
With hindsight, of course not. But everyone was saying the top end of last years TE crop were considered more talented than mcbride. And it does look like it was a good top end te draft. Luckily mcbride is proving taking him where we did was a win.

My point was, if you like a guy who is available to you (mcbride, PJJ) you take him instead of saying next year is a better class we should wait and hope we get one of those guys.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I understood McBride to be the best in a poor TE class. he didn’t play at a marquee program was the only question about his draft position

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The really important difference is that a top 5% OG isn’t really that much better than a top 60% OG, but the gap between Brandon Aiyuk and Rondale Moore/Michael Wilson is profound.
Lol. Okay. That’s a total reach and again I doubt any professional talent evaluator, coach or scout would agree with you. If so, no guard would earn high dollars unless you think there are a ton of total idiots in front offices around the league.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The really important difference is that a top 5% OG isn’t really that much better than a top 60% OG, but the gap between Brandon Aiyuk and Rondale Moore/Michael Wilson is profound.
Understand what you’re arguing. If there are, on average, 5 guys that can play guard on a team (guard, swing g/c, swing t/g) that’s 160 guards in the league. 60% is roughly the 96th best guard. You’re saying that the gap between aiyuk and Wilson is “profoundly” greater than the gap between the 8th best guard in the league and the 96th best guard in the guard. Cmon man.

For reference . . . Aiyuk averaged 83 yards/game. Wilson averaged 51 yards/game.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
With hindsight, of course not. But everyone was saying the top end of last years TE crop were considered more talented than mcbride.
I heard Chopper say that, but I never heard any analysts specifically say that. Last year's draft just had 4-5 guys that some said we're worthy of a 1st.
And it does look like it was a good top end te draft. Luckily mcbride is proving taking him where we did was a win.
McBride looks to be a top five type TE for the foreseeable future.
My point was, if you like a guy who is available to you (mcbride, PJJ) you take him instead of saying next year is a better class we should wait and hope we get one of those guys.
Absolutely. Kind of funny you say this now, because when we were talking about PJJ in relation to this years OT class, you made a comment to effect that Monti should have anticipated that this year's class would be better and I specifically stated it's hard to determine that a year out. I also remember others panning the McBride pick in the same vein last year.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Brandon Aiyuk (2020)
12g - 60/748/12.5/5
M. Wilson (2023)
13g - 38/565/14.9/3

Great point! Comparing them this year is an inadequate comp.
I was watching a fantasy football expert state that a rookie WR who fails to eclipse 500 yards almost never becomes an impact player.

I immediately looked up Wilson's numbers. :)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Lol. Okay. That’s a total reach and again I doubt any professional talent evaluator, coach or scout would agree with you. If so, no guard would earn high dollars unless you think there are a ton of total idiots in front offices around the league.
Starting guard and starting WR.

I’d argue conversely that the 3rd guard on most teams is probably closer in quality to the starter than the 3rd WR and 5th WR.

Another way to put this is Hernandez is way closer in comparison to Chris Lindstrom than Michael Wilson is to DJ Moore.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
C'mon, man, we have experts on this board that know exactly how to draft and will tell you you're uninformed if you don't agree with them. I have been told it is "Literally never a good idea to draft a guard in the 1st round." You know certain posters think they are experts and will hear nothing said against their opinions, man. It is known. These folks wouldn't take a Ray Lewis or a Mike Webster in round one because the "positional value" isn't there.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I heard Chopper say that, but I never heard any analysts specifically say that. Last year's draft just had 4-5 guys that some said we're worthy of a 1st.

McBride looks to be a top five type TE for the foreseeable future.

Absolutely. Kind of funny you say this now, because when we were talking about PJJ in relation to this years OT class, you made a comment to effect that Monti should have anticipated that this year's class would be better and I specifically stated it's hard to determine that a year out. I also remember others panning the McBride pick in the same vein last year.
Right. That’s what I’m saying. When I said he should have factored in the next years crop I was panned for it. You just did the same.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This is no great revelation as I understand CBS has tied him to the Cards. Graham Barton keeps popping up as being talked about by the Cards. He played OT at Duke, but I had him at guard. He was a highly rated guard coming out of high school and he played effective center as well. Scouts see him with a high football IQ and outstanding versatility. He played only LT at Duke, and did develop into a solid player at that spot. He has a fine motor and is very competitive. His arm length is less than ideal at tackle in the NFL. His burst and drive seem better suited inside. He’s a fascinating prospect. CBS likes him at 27. I like him better at 33.
Just to back this up, Gambo was saying on the radio that don't be surprised if the cards don't go WR if they have to make the pick and can't trade down. His point is there are fewer elite OT in this draft, and you can find good WRs all the way down into round two. So I am sure someone on the Cards floated this idea to him. It was an intersting point to make, I thought.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And the top centers this year are better too.
This basically saying the cards were right not to draft a center last year because the centers are better this year. The only way they could be “right” is if they knew the centers would be better this year. This is you essentially saying to wait bc the next year’s crop would be better, no? Did I misunderstand your point?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This basically saying the cards were right not to draft a center last year because the centers are better this year. The only way they could be “right” is if they knew the centers would be better this year. This is you essentially saying to wait bc the next year’s crop would be better, no? Did I misunderstand your point?
I could see that, because they are already saying next year's crop of QBs is worse. Putting more pressure on teams to move up this year, which could work if the Cards trade down.