So would you be unhappy if…

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
When Kyler was right, he was an MVP candidate and we were relevant, but it was way too much on Kyler to make magic happen with that mid roster.
So when Kyler was the MVP front runner what changed game calling wise from those 12 games to the playoff clinching or playoff games? Kliff was bad but he was bad all the time, Kyler was just bad when it mattered.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
So when Kyler was the MVP front runner what changed game calling wise from those 12 games to the playoff clinching or playoff games? Kliff was bad but he was bad all the time, Kyler was just bad when it mattered.
There are a lot of factors, but the wheels fell off on offense once Chase Edmonds/Maxx went down in 2021. Our offense became far less balanced, and then Nuk went down...our numbers pre and post Hop were pretty staggering.

2022 is more of a mystery. Everything went wrong, and nobody wanted to be here, so I'm not sure what conclusion to draw.

I'm willing to go clean slate with Kyler to see what he can do under a new regime - hopefully he'll show maturity in areas he didn't before and avoid any "pre-cog" statements about his superior abilities to feel the game.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to get to those games first, and re-setting at quarterback puts that project off at least a couple more years.

The point of resetting on Kliff and Keim is the idea that maybe Kyler won't have to win big games by himself, which increasingly seemed like the "plan."
I get it. I just have a sliver of worry that a fools gold era to the end the season could prolong long-term misery.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
There are a lot of factors, but the wheels fell off on offense once Chase Edmonds/Maxx went down in 2021. Our offense became far less balanced, and then Nuk went down...our numbers pre and post Hop were pretty staggering.

2022 is more of a mystery. Everything went wrong, and nobody wanted to be here, so I'm not sure what conclusion to draw.

I'm willing to go clean slate with Kyler to see what he can do under a new regime - hopefully he'll show maturity in areas he didn't before and avoid any "pre-cog" statements about his superior abilities to feel the game.
This is my view. 2022 was just a doomed year from the start. I think that the off the field issues played a big role, and the lack of accountability had completely set in by that point.

Murray's worst play is still better than Dobbs best play over the course of a season. Despite the results so far, I think this coaching staff can get more out of Murray and I want to see what that looks like.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I get it. I just have a sliver of worry that a fools gold era to the end the season could prolong long-term misery.
For me, and I've been consistent on this, THIS is misery.

Josh Rosen/Sam Bradford is misery.
John Skelton, Kevin Kolb, and Ryan Lindley are misery.
Derek Anderson and Max Hall are misery.

Right now, there are three miserable teams because they understand their QB situation is hopeless: New England, New Orleans, and Denver. There are a handful more fostering some kind of false hope because their QB is young or have been productive in the past: Jets, Steelers, Indy, Houston, Tennessee, Commies, Giants, Packers, Tampa (maybe), Atlanta, and Carolina (barely).

That's almost half the league! With healthy Kyler we're in the next group of teams who are going to be in the hunt no matter what. I'd put Baltimore, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota, Seattle, and the Rams in this group.

The next level up is prohibitive Super Bowl favorites.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
What is the QB solution at this point? Caleb Williams, the most sure thing in the next draft is not likely to either be available/amenable to coming to AZ. Sure Maye looks good, but is he a better option moving forward than Kyler? Will he even be available when we draft? The Houston pick will be mid first round at best at this point.

We should all be hoping and praying that Kyler looks like good Kyler and performs well in the system. I'll be thrilled to see him under center, and fascinated to see what clever plays Drew Petzing cooks up.

Kyler ain't perfect, and there are plenty of reasons to doubt him, but riding with Kyler for the time being appears to be the best path forward.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
When Kyler was right, he was an MVP candidate and we were relevant, but it was way too much on Kyler to make magic happen with that mid roster.
It was absolutely not way too much on Kyler to win 1 of 4 or 5 playoff clinching/playoff games. Not even a little. Dude has been great for stretches, and he's been straight garbage for stretches, with plenty in between. Here's hoping it's different moving forward, but let's not pretend it was everything but Kyler to blame.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was absolutely not way too much on Kyler to win 1 of 4 or 5 playoff clinching/playoff games. Not even a little. Dude has been great for stretches, and he's been straight garbage for stretches, with plenty in between. Here's hoping it's different moving forward, but let's not pretend it was everything but Kyler to blame.
I think Kyler had a share of the blame. I’m clinging to the hope that he could be better than he was WHEN he was good.
It became all to obvious that the previous regime put way too much on Kyler’s shoulders. Lack of an o-line, Hopkins suspension, calling AJ Green and threat.
The quickest way back to prominence is for Kyler to be that guy.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Refresh my memory. In the 2021 season, had the Cards already clinched a playoff game when we beat Dallas on 1/2 (ending an excruciating three-game skid), or did they only back in after a loss on Week 18?

I know in 2020 we came out of Christmas at 8-6. We lost to a good Rams team starting Wofford and a pretty bad San Francisco team. That sucked.

Kyler definitely contributed to those collapses.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Refresh my memory. In the 2021 season, had the Cards already clinched a playoff game when we beat Dallas on 1/2 (ending an excruciating three-game skid), or did they only back in after a loss on Week 18?

I know in 2020 we came out of Christmas at 8-6. We lost to a good Rams team starting Wofford and a pretty bad San Francisco team. That sucked.

Kyler has never won a playoff clinching or playoff game…I believe he is 0-5

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Kyler had several opportunities to clinch the playoffs by winning a game. He failed. We backed into the playoffs. Then he had the playoff game itself. Read back yourself if you don't remember, because it is common knowledge.
You said:

"It was absolutely not way too much on Kyler to win 1 of 4 or 5 playoff clinching/playoff games."

I'm looking at that stretch, and it looks like we played Dallas?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
...draft top-end, blue chip talent with both picks.

My opinion of this draft is that QBs aside there's only maybe 5-6 players that stand out above the rest then between about 10-25 you really have a bunch of guys of a similar level.

I think you can easily trade back from 12ish and not drop off. Depending what positions you want.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yup. And that wasn’t a pretty good Rams team. They were 8-7 before the last game and started an atrocious backup QB.

As for 2021, we had backed into the playoffs prior to the Cowboys game during the brutal three game losing streak, then beat the Cowboys in what looked like a meaningless game because I.T didn’t look like we could win the division. Then the Rams shocked everyone losing their last two which gave us a chance to win the division on the final day, at home to the woeful 5-11 Seahawks and Kyler laid another stinkbomb there forcing us to open on the road in the playoffs.

And all we painfully remember what happened there.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I would be on cloud 9 if Kyler went 5 and 2 with this roster.

And if Houston starts losing I'd be even happier.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lots of clamoring for Kyler to get back on the field. Many of us want him back sooner rather than later assuming he is 100% healthy, however.

If Kyler returns ( let’s say week 10) and we were 2-8, would you be unhappy if his return results winning 5 out of the last 7 games?
We would be 7-10 and totally change the our draft position.

Would you be happy with Kyler putting to rest our qb situation for 2024 but costing us a top 5-10 draft pick?

Or would it be better for Murray to play just a couple of games thus securing a higher draft pick? Would a couple of games be enough to answer the questions surrounding Kyler?

I wonder if this situation plays a role in the organizations decisions.

What do you think?
Naturally, as a fan I want it both ways. I want Kyler to play well and I want us to win. But, I also want a high draft pick, and hope that the Texans can help. But, if we miss out on the top three picks (The two QB's and MHJ) I fully expect to hear in the media and possibly on this Board, that they couldn't even do a good job at tanking.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agree with everyone thus far. That’s a good “problem.”
Unless the games look very Josh Dobbs esque but with wins. And not knowing if its Petzing holding the offense back or Kyler.

Which leaves @Chopper0080 , me and others in a perpetual state of this
You must be registered for see images attach

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s the way I ultimately look at it… if Kyler comes back and is good, then between him and our two first rounders, we’re potentially adding three high impact players to next season’s team makeup.

Kyler alone would make a huge impact offensively and if we can hit on those first rounders and their defense, that could potentially make the defense hopefully at least average. With that kind of mix, next year should be a year where this team CAN and SHOULD challenge for a wild card spot.

So, best case scenario is with a professional offensive coaching staff, Kyler finally gets a shot to prove his worth and settles that position moving forward.

And it makes the rest of the season a hell of a lot more interesting to watch now that Josh “Roy” Dobbs looks nothing like The Natural.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless the games look very Josh Dobbs esque but with wins. And not knowing if its Petzing holding the offense back or Kyler.

Which leaves @Chopper0080 , me and others in a perpetual state of this
You must be registered for see images attach
Yeah... I think we all know that what will happen is that Murray will play well enough to win a few games and hurt the Cardinals' draft stock, but not well enough to convince more than 50% of us that he's the franchise QB we all hope for.

Then we can continue arguing about whether he is or isn't all offseason. It's the Cardinals way.