Assuming You Want the Rumors I’m Hearing

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This is no great revelation as I understand CBS has tied him to the Cards. Graham Barton keeps popping up as being talked about by the Cards. He played OT at Duke, but I had him at guard. He was a highly rated guard coming out of high school and he played effective center as well. Scouts see him with a high football IQ and outstanding versatility. He played only LT at Duke, and did develop into a solid player at that spot. He has a fine motor and is very competitive. His arm length is less than ideal at tackle in the NFL. His burst and drive seem better suited inside. He’s a fascinating prospect. CBS likes him at 27. I like him better at 33.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
This is no great revelation as I understand CBS has tied him to the Cards. Graham Barton keeps popping up as being talked about by the Cards. He played OT at Duke, but I had him at guard. He was a highly rated guard coming out of high school and he played effective center as well. Scouts see him with a high football IQ and outstanding versatility. He played only LT at Duke, and did develop into a solid player at that spot. He has a fine motor and is very competitive. His arm length is less than ideal at tackle in the NFL. His burst and drive seem better suited inside. He’s a fascinating prospect. CBS likes him at 27. I like him better at 33.
I see him as a safe pick and going to duke a smart one. I would take him at 27 or 35. Need to go d with one of those. Seen a mock last night that had us getting the 2 Missouri defenders. The corner is too injury prone for me

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
it would be hard to imagine going OT and G in 2 of the first 3 picks given the needs of the team

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Barton played 5 games at C for Duke too, but mostly LT.

He would be a great pick for us at g/c. Great run blocker, was in a scheme that used him in space a lot so he's used to pulling and zone concepts. Has a mean streak.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

He would be a great pick for us at g/c. Great run blocker, was in a scheme that used him in space a lot so he's used to pulling and zone concepts. Has a mean streak.
Agree with Harry that I'd hope to get him at 35. Although he might not get past the Ravens.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

One can never have enough meanies on the offensive line. I’m in!

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m super-interested in what the Bears, Commies, and Pats are doing. That will obviously have a huge impact on what we do.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Graham Barton is a very clean prospect for sure. I would be good with him in round 2 in a vacuum as of right now. Lots can change. His versatility is appealing and the cost savings across the o-line would be nice as well.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
LOL. I completely forgot about Gaines. I wonder if he has a chance to make an impact this year?
Gaines is the latest Cardinal rookie who:

1. Flashed in camp
2. Someone wrote something nice about him,
3. Got injured
4. We expect big things now

Marquis Hayes was last year's

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score

1. Flashed in camp
3. Got injured

Oh yes… the Ryan Williams award winner!

Given how Big Mo played out (though he was drafted by the previous regime), I basically feel like this and don’t have expectations for Gaines. But maybe we’ll be pleasantly surprised.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree with Harry that I'd hope to get him at 35. Although he might not get past the Ravens.

I think there's very little between 27 and 35 and if Barton tops your board at #27 then you take him.

There is no position other than QB that this team doesn't need. This should be one of the easiest drafts for a Cards GM if you get your board right. You just take whoever is BPA.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score

1. Flashed in camp
3. Got injured

My question is more about Froholt...and I dont know enough about his skill set to have an opinion. He was a pleasant surprise at OC last year. Our LG was the weakness of our OLine.

I have seen some people float the idea of moving Froholt to LG, but I dont know how realistic that is, or if its even advisable. Wouldn't we want to let him continue to get better with more experience at center?

A veteran LG is going to cost a lot in FA...but we have the money. A rookie LG who is capable of starting day 1 is going to cost us a pick in the top 2-3 rounds for sure...and then there is the possibility of moving PJJ to LG and having essentially 2 rookies (at least 2 players playing new positions in the NFL) as the entire left side of our line.

I feel like my preference would be to move PJJ to LT, sign a vet LG, leave Froholdt at Center, Hernandez at RG, and either Beachum or a rookie RT.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
A veteran LG is going to cost a lot in FA

Disagree with this. He'll cost less than a third-round pick, but LG is literally the cheapest position on the offensive line. I averaged the APYs for like the top 10 contracts at each position and it's like one-third of a right-tackle contract.

I feel like my preference would be to move PJJ to LT, sign a vet LG, leave Froholdt at Center, Hernandez at RG, and either Beachum or a rookie RT.

I agree with this.