Cleveland @ Phoenix - Game Thread Thursday 1/11/2007 - 8:30 pm

sunsfn

Reaction score
In Tucson today, glad the suns are on TNT!
-----------------------------------------------

Cleveland (22-12) at Phoenix (26-8)
Game Info: 10:30 pm EST Thu Jan 11, 2007
TV: TNT By SANTOSH VENKATARAMAN, STATS Senior Writer

Phoenix Suns point guard Steve Nash is turning in possibly his best season. It's bad news for players like the Cleveland Cavaliers' LeBron James, who are trying to unseat the two-time league MVP.
The two superstars will meet for the first time this season Thursday night as the Suns look to stretch their winning streak to eight games when they host the Cavaliers in a matchup of division leaders.
Nash is averaging career highs in points (20.1 ppg), field-goal percentage (53.1) and 3-point percentage (51.1) this season for the Pacific Division-leading Suns (26-8). He's also averaging a league-leading 11.0 assists, just shy of his career-high 11.5 average from two seasons ago.
James is one of the NBA's most dynamic players -- one that many people believe will eventually have multiple MVPs of his own. This season, his scoring average has actually dipped to 26.6 points from 31.4 a year ago.
The star forward, however, may be playing on his best team since being drafted by Cleveland (22-12) in 2003. The Cavaliers, who won 50 games last season, are on top of the Central Division and enter Thursday's game as winners of five straight and eight of nine.
Phoenix, meanwhile, owns the league's second-best record, in part because of its 14-1 mark against Eastern Conference opponents.
The Suns have won seven straight home games against Cleveland, dating to March 10, 1999.
James flourished last season against the Suns' uptempo style. He averaged 45.0 points, 9.0 rebounds and 7.5 assists as Cleveland split two meetings.
Of course, the Suns' primary concern isn't to stop James. That's because Phoenix is averaging a league-leading 110.9 points per game to offset a defense that ranks near the bottom of the NBA by yielding an average of 102.8 points.
Guided by Nash, the Suns have five players scoring at least 14.7 points per game, with none averaging more than 15 shots. Phoenix is shooting an NBA-best 49.4 percent from the field.
That balance was on display in a 113-102 victory over Seattle on Tuesday as Phoenix had six players score in double figures. Shawn Marion had 29 points and 15 rebounds while Nash added 27 points and 11 assists.
The Suns also played better defensively, limiting the SuperSonics to 14 points in the third quarter to take control of the game.
"I think we were just talking a lot better on defense," Marion said. "We were limiting them to one shot, then getting out and playing Suns basketball."
James helped Cleveland rally for a 108-98 victory at Sacramento on Wednesday in the opener of a seven-game western road trip. He scored 24 of his 34 points in the second half as the Cavaliers came back from a 15-point halftime deficit.
"We know that what we've got to take care of is the defensive end," James said. "We got stops that helped us on the offensive end. That's the formula that's been working for us."
Drew Gooden notched his fourth straight double-double with 21 points and 11 rebounds. Gooden is averaging 21.5 points on 62.3 percent shooting and 12.8 rebounds in that span. "I thought that Drew Gooden was really big and instrumental for us," Cleveland coach Mike Brown said. "He was phenomenal. His energy got me and the bench extremely excited." Cleveland is 7-2 against the West, the best mark among Eastern clubs.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TNT = HD.

I am happy too.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to this game tonight...someone invited me, and they may get tickets.

Woo!

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've been trying to get tickets to tonights game for 2 weeks, but it's been sold out and there aren't any decently priced tickets on ticket exchange or ebay.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely going...Section 203, Row 4...midcourt...not too shabby.

Season ticket parking too!

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He'll say what he's been saying the last 2 years. It shouldn't be surprise right?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blah Blah Defense, Blah Blah Dallas & San Antonio are the real contenders in the West. Blah Blah Blah.

It is too bad .... I like Charles too..

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody watch the last Laker game on TNT when Charles filled in for an ailing Steve Kerr? He spent 15 - 20 solid minutes sanctifying Kobe -- every conceivable compliment, put a halo on him and wrapped him in gold. It was almost getting funny.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate 8:30 AZ start time games. I'm old and I fall asleep at halftime. Then I see the score in the paper in the morning and never get around to replaying the 2nd half.

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
what a close to the 2nd qtr. absolutely putting a clinic on for the cavs.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Bona-fide ass whoopin' going on. God, this team is good.

Let's see what Sir Charles has to say at halftime.

Nash

Reaction score
wow! what a game!
one of the most beautiful Suns' games I've seen this year.
I watched the Nets and Wiz games but this looks like the best game of the year. nice defense, great passing, awesome fastbreak basketball.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
holy cow!! we are playing damn near perfect basketball. Just need to keep it up and not bring them back into it in the 2nd half

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
It is unfair to have to play the Suns when they are playing like this.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Again Charles exposes his stupidity by saying the Suns are dominating because Cleveland is terrible. Ernie quickly pointed out they beat the Spurs twice this year already and have the best record in the East. Even Kenny Smith disagreed with his assesment of Cleveland.

Why doesn't Charles excuse himself from TNT when the Suns play? I have quit watching the NBA on TNT because of Charles (exception is when Suns play).

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Anyone notice that half the players on Cavs roster have names that start with "D"

I suck

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Drat. I have DirecTV in Los Angeles, and from about the middle of the second quarter, the signal went all screwy. I'm now hearing the audio of the game, but the picture is stuck on a frozen image of Stephen Colbert. Anyone else having a remotely similar problem?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nash is on pace for this game to come close to the single game record for assists

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Alright, lets empty the bench!! :thumbup:

No wait....nevermind....

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
Nash is on pace for this game to come close to the single game record for assists

Ya, but I don't think they will keep him in that long....I would love to see him get it though, he deserves the record.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Drat. I have DirecTV in Los Angeles, and from about the middle of the second quarter, the signal went all screwy. I'm now hearing the audio of the game, but the picture is stuck on a frozen image of Stephen Colbert. Anyone else having a remotely similar problem?

Could be worse. You could have had the picture frozen on Drew Gooden's lone patch of hair on the back of his head.

Yeah, that attracts the ladies!