Spurs @ Suns Thursday game thread, 11-2-2023

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was told we cut the lead down to 3..

sigh.. I should have stop watching before half time..

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I thought that was what the pre season was for?
It's like 12 new pieces he's trying to figure out. Not only do they have no chemistry with each other, they also have no time in this system. Gonna take some time to figure out who works best with each other and for everything to start clicking. Hopefully we can be well above .500 when we get there.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
He did say that he expected to experiment quite a bit for the first month or so. After that he will have a good idea of what lineups to settle into.
Well, from what I've seen so far, Yuta and Little need to be playing less (maybe Goodwin, too), Okogie probably shouldn't be starting, they might need another big man to cut into Nurkic and Eubanks' playing time, and KBD (and Metu) need more minutes.

Also, they need a PG off the bench... and Beal better get right very soon.

Raindog

Reaction score
We tied the game. It ain't on you. I'm laying this on James Jones. We need more size. We're too guard heavy.
Agreed. I'm not sure he knows what he's doing either. I hope Mat has a short leash with him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if I told you after the 3rd quarter that we would’ve tied it and still lost by 10?
It would make my biggest fear even bigger… despite having Booker and Durant, we still don’t have a bonafide championship number one who can consistently close out games.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't have held it against Vogel if he played Bol Bol. Just tell him to shadow Wemby. I doubt Wemby has ever played against someone his size. I know Bol sucks defensively and it may have done nothing but when you're down 20+ you start trying new things.

I just hope we see KBD in the next game. Let him take Yuta and Little's minutes.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Role player check in:

- Eubanks is a 15% better finisher away from being good. I like his hustle and instincts

- Gordon has to shoot more

- Yuta is bricking clutch 3’s

- Since the first game Grayson is 14/23 from 3

- KBD brings something the other role players don’t, length and athleticism (

- Goodwin & Okogie won’t get a lot of time if we get behind early in games

- You have to think Metu sees the court soon

Raindog

Reaction score
Role player check in:

- Eubanks is a 15% better finisher away from being good. I like his hustle and instincts

- Gordon has to shoot more

- Yuta is bricking clutch 3’s

- Since the first game Grayson is 14/23 from 3

- KBD brings something the other role players don’t, length and athleticism (

- Goodwin & Okogie won’t get a lot of time if we get behind early in games

- You have to think Metu sees the court soon
I would add that I am beginning to wonder whether Nurkic will be more of a liability than asset as the season goes on. He's looked pretty bad since the opener.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
they took our soul Tuesday. Then we decide to force things to book early on. JO was too damn tentative from the get go. Nurk was also afraid to score too, he kept head faking and getting himself in trouble while not being guarded by Wemby.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
Pop always gets Spurs to play great well-functioning team ball. Suns defense has a lot to improve, they gave up too many open shots at the start and was quite exploited at the end after the tie. And Wemby is a freak that's hart to prepare defense for. Vogel has been experimenting with lineups, as there are too many out there. I see how each who got court time may fit the team, we just need to get the best out of them. KBD played like one worthy the 5th starter job now, unlike in preseason. So, give Vogel some time to work with the team.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Made our little run but too little too late

Vogel had some fun with the line up - Diop instead of Okogie and Eubanks instead of Nurk

Big reality check for the Suns tho - both losses - we aren't guaranteed anything - there aint no coasting to the playoffs in this League - I don't care who you are and neither does Wemby
Im done with Okogie - his offense sucks and his 1 on 3 fast breaks are even worse. Nurkic can come off the bench. Start Eubanks who actually looks like he gives a crap. Nurk can end quarters since Eubanks seems to struggle with FT.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Suns are so good they don't have to even show up to beat the Spurs. We're already champs. It's all over the internet.

These are my conclusions after watching the previous Spurs game and the first 3 minutes (0-9 start) of this game.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I took the time to check the result on page 13 of this thread. Great. Another L. I'll go do something else while the sky is falling.

Raindog

Reaction score
Suns are so good they don't have to even show up to beat the Spurs. We're already champs. It's all over the internet.

These are my conclusions after watching the previous Spurs game and the first 3 minutes (0-9 start) of this game.
That certainly seems to be the attitude they are operating under so far, from the front office to the coaching to the players on the floor... "We're not going to 'really try' until we're in the conference finals."

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would add that I am beginning to wonder whether Nurkic will be more of a liability than asset as the season goes on. He's looked pretty bad since the opener.

Nurkic is more of a backup center at this stage of his career because of injuries. Eubanks is much the same.

If there is a free agent center or FC still out there, the Suns need to take a look.