Suns @ Mavericks Thursday game thread 2-22-2024: Post All-Star Break

sr7706

Registered
Reaction score
Seen many years of Suns teams up close, this team is going nowhere, weather its coaching, lack of heart and desire, something is just not adding up...

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Clippers lost to the thunder tonight too - we could have really made some ground tonight plus had the tie breaker against Dallas and we blew it

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Been many years where we have a great record in regular season only to muck it in the playoffs....kinda like the nobody counting on us vibe. Come playoffs it's a new season. Why not us

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Silver lining, I liked what I saw from Royce O'Neal. Dude looked solid hitting the open threes and defensive presence.

Suns have to overcome the double and triple teams on Durant and Booker. Why our fourth quarters are bad, is that's when other teams do that to us. We won't go anywhere until we solve how to take advantage of that!

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The thing that bothers me is with this roster we should be able to roll teams. I don’t see us making it far into the post season. Its just disappointing at the moment.

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score
KD had a bad shooting night...
We have a couple of players that constantly only
hit 1 of 2 at the FT line....those lost points add up.

Give them extra time in the practice gym,,shooting free throws.

Luca and Irving just killed us tonight...

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KD had a bad shooting night...
We have a couple of players that constantly only
hit 1 of 2 at the FT line....those lost points add up.

Give them extra time in the practice gym,,shooting free throws.

Luca and Irving just killed us tonight...
Yeah their big 2 showed up and they rebounded, Book showed out but KD just shot a lot and didn’t score well…

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seen many years of Suns teams up close, this team is going nowhere, weather its coaching, lack of heart and desire, something is just not adding up...

Ill fitting parts, too many one way players, poor leadership, lack of ball handlers.

I had a rant typed out but I just deleted it. Losing to this Mavs team gets my blood going.

I can't even complain about the injuries, it's a feature of the roster. In many ways we're actually lucky that things are not worse in that department.

Very little sense of urgency. Durant with another game where he seemed totally detatched for long stretches. His habit of passing up decent looks from 3 so he can dribble into double teams is driving me crazy.

I'm ranting again.

Explative deleted.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
First, compared to our last meeting, Mavs D improved a lot with Washington and Jones and even Kleber single covered KD very well, and their new center Garford. 2nd, early double- or triple teaming of KD and Book was again effective and our players didn't respond accordingly. 3rd, their D scheme worked well to not let Allen get 3pt shots, and KD and RO weren't hitting it well. 4th, it's improper to put Okogie and Little in together, and with KD/RO/Allen in there the lineup failed miserably on offense.
But our main problem was D. Doncic and Irvine repeatedly found Allen and Eubanks to abuse after simple switches, KD was also bad covering Luka. Booker showed his bad trait to leave his man in the corner wide open for 3, again. Little's insertion was awkawrd. Against most teams Allen's D seems OK, but he got blutally exposed by Doncic and Irvine, and by Lebron earlier in the season. They stop our O, we can't stop their O. The outcome is fair.
In general, we need more subtle sets to hide Okogie's weakness on O and Allen's and Nurk's on D, to make them not liability when their other skills are needed.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ill fitting parts, too many one way players, poor leadership, lack of ball handlers.

I had a rant typed out but I just deleted it. Losing to this Mavs team gets my blood going.

I can't even complain about the injuries, it's a feature of the roster. In many ways we're actually lucky that things are not worse in that department.

Very little sense of urgency. Durant with another game where he seemed totally detatched for long stretches. His habit of passing up decent looks from 3 so he can dribble into double teams is driving me crazy.

I'm ranting again.

Explative deleted.

For me its not who, but how we lose. I just didn't enjoy watching KD most of the night. His body language stunk, much like Christmas day but to a lesser degree. He stood around on both ends a lot and failed to just hustle or anticipate some plays. There's more to leading and winning than putting the basketball through the hoop.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those youngsters had so much energy.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Really looking like front runners these days - easy to pound on under-manned teams but shriveling against legit teams.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really looking like front runners these days - easy to pound on under-manned teams but shriveling against legit teams.
Don't sell us short, we've had no trouble losing to some of the worst teams too. We are a very flawed team, most of those flaws we can overcome if we are fully healthy. Anything less than fully healthy though, and we could lose to any team.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We really miss CP3.

It was time to move on, the injuries and his contract made the split necessary, but this team seems rudderless, not just night to night but quarter to quarter. It's very rare that they lock in and sustain a high level of play for a full game. He is a competitive lunatic and while I think Booker is certainly a competitive dude, he isn't the type to get in his teammates faces and he is prone to some bad decisions with the ball. Paul would just grind teams to dust late in games.