Wk 13 Arizona Cardinals off season. 4/4/23-4/9/23

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
As it stands today the Cardinals won't be competitive if nothing changes regarding the roster. I don't expect everything that I listed to be filled this season. The Draft will hopefully add 3 to 4 starter quality players and a hand full of depth/roll players. Again, not enough to make the 2023 roster competitive.

There will be spots on the roster where several starters will most likely be average at best. It's a rebuilding year and I think the Cardinals might be able to hang with teams but probably won't win many games in 2023. The talent level just isn't there yet. However if they have a successful draft it will put them in position to be more competitive in 2024.
I can get behind your thinking, mostly. I don't think they're doing nearly enough outside of counting on the draft to become competitive in 2024, but I can see them being more competitive then, if it goes right. Mostly I think their plan is for 2025.

Stout

Reaction score

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
As it stands today the Cardinals won't be competitive if nothing changes regarding the roster. I don't expect everything that I listed to be filled this season. The Draft will hopefully add 3 to 4 starter quality players and a hand full of depth/roll players. Again, not enough to make the 2023 roster competitive.

There will be spots on the roster where several starters will most likely be average at best. It's a rebuilding year and I think the Cardinals might be able to hang with teams but probably won't win many games in 2023. The talent level just isn't there yet. However if they have a successful draft it will put them in position to be more competitive in 2024.
It is crazy to expect this type of amazing haul from one draft class.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Guys don’t worry—very experienced prosecutor Michael Bidwill trained his interrogative lens on Bobby N and discovered that he does, indeed, love football.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is crazy to expect this type of amazing haul from one draft class.

Right? It’s the type of draft you speak about for decades. How many Fitz/dansby/dockett drafts have we had . . . one in my memory. Because they just don’t happen often.

Is it? The Cardinals have very early picks during the first two days of the draft (#3, #34, #66). They may end up with more early picks depending on trades.

With the amount of holes on the roster those picks will get every chance to earn a starting role. Let's say they get an Edge Rusher, Center and CB with their first three picks. I'd be pretty confident that those three guys see significant time early in their careers. Throw in a day three RB and he probably gets significant time as the season progresses. Everyone else brought in will have rotational roles or be a part of special teams.

Just looking at last years draft, there were several teams that had early hits of up to 5 players from the 2022 Draft who made significant contributions their rookie season:

NY Jets: Sauce, Wilson, Hall, Michael Clemmons
Chiefs: Pacheco, Josh Williams, McDuffie, Bryan Cook, Leo Chenal
Lions: Hutch, James Houston, Kerby Joseph, Malcom Rodriguez
Seahawks: Tariq Woolen, Kenneth Walker, Abraham Lucas, Coby Bryant, Charles Cross
Packers: Watson, Doubs, Quay Walker, Kingsley Enagbare, Zach Tom
Texans: Pierce, Singletary, Jalen Pitre, Christian Harris
Cowboys: Tyler Smith, Daron Bland, Sam Williams, Jake Ferguson

So it is not as impossible as you may think.

Stout

Reaction score
Is it? The Cardinals have very early picks during the first two days of the draft (#3, #34, #66). They may end up with more early picks depending on trades.

With the amount of holes on the roster those picks will get every chance to earn a starting role. Let's say they get an Edge Rusher, Center and CB with their first three picks. I'd be pretty confident that those three guys see significant time early in their careers. Throw in a day three RB and he probably gets significant time as the season progresses. Everyone else brought in will have rotational roles or be a part of special teams.

Just looking at last years draft, there were several teams that had early hits of up to 5 players from the 2022 Draft who made significant contributions their rookie season:

Seahawks: Tariq Woolen, Kenneth Walker, Abraham Lucas, Coby Bryant, Charles Cross

Earning a starting role on this team does not mean we're really coming out of the draft with more starters, necessarily, as it won't take much to start for us. Also, this possibility is hugely dependent on Monti and co nailing it right out of the gate in his first draft. I mean, I hope we end up with 3-4 actual solid starters and a scattering of contributors, but I'm not expecting such great results.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Earning a starting role on this team does not mean we're really coming out of the draft with more starters, necessarily, as it won't take much to start for us. Also, this possibility is hugely dependent on Monti and co nailing it right out of the gate in his first draft. I mean, I hope we end up with 3-4 actual solid starters and a scattering of contributors, but I'm not expecting such great results.

Totally agree. We have no idea what Monti and Co will do in the draft. It all depends on that.

However we also have to remember that Keim and Terry McDonough are no long on this team making reach picks of small school diamonds that they always fell in love with. So that is a plus.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re going to have 22 starters in 100% of scenarios. The question is whether you’re bringing in Karlos Dansby level starters or Fred Wakefield level starters.

Yes the early draft picks will need to be starter quality as I mentioned.

Stout

Reaction score
Totally agree. We have no idea what Monti and Co will do in the draft. It all depends on that.

However we also have to remember that Keim and Terry McDonough are no long on this team making reach picks of small school diamonds that they always fell in love with. So that is a plus.
Yep. No Rondale Moores or AIs, please.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Starting and being "good" are two different things though. It's like Zach Tom. He played in 9 games. He did not start the season as a starter. He played mostly due to injury. There is no real indication that he is a "quality player". Leki Fotu has played in 11 games as a rookie, but it didn't make him a "quality player".

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You’re going to have 22 starters in 100% of scenarios. The question is whether you’re bringing in Karlos Dansby level starters or Fred Wakefield level starters.
Agreed. This is how you tank as an organization and how you fool a fan base. We will likely have several rookies who we draft this year and get significant snaps. The franchise will tell you it is because they drafted impact players. The reality will be that the level of talent on this roster is so low which is what enables rookies to start in most situations.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starting and being "good" are two different things though. It's like Zach Tom. He played in 9 games. He did not start the season as a starter. He played mostly due to injury. There is no real indication that he is a "quality player". Leki Fotu has played in 11 games as a rookie, but it didn't make him a "quality player".

Exactly. Fotu would be considered part of the depth/roll players that I mentioned.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Exactly. Fotu would be considered part of the depth/roll players that I mentioned.
When I read this:

"Just looking at last years draft, there were several teams that had early hits of up to 5 players from the 2022 Draft who made significant contributions their rookie season:"

in which you included Tom, I interpreted it as Tom being in your "3 to 4 starter quality players" category.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I read this:

"Just looking at last years draft, there were several teams that had early hits of up to 5 players from the 2022 Draft who made significant contributions their rookie season:"

in which you included Tom, I interpreted it as Tom being in your "3 to 4 starter quality players" category.

That list that I put together included players who made significant contributions as rookies in 2022. So no not all that I listed were "Starter Quality" their rookie season but the majority listed were.

With that said, just because a player didn't contribute as much his rookie year doesn't mean that down the road he won't be Starter Quality. For example I didn't list WR Jameson Williams of the Lions as a significant contributor his rookie season. Williams sat out most of 2022 as he recovered from his ACL injury that he suffered during the National Championship game. However I believe that he will eventually be starter quality as he returns to full health.

Other players from that class will need time to grow at the NFL level and could eventually become starter quality. The Jets Jermaine Johnson comes to mind as he was more of a rotational guy behind a deep Jets DL. That is why I didn't include Johnson on that list but I believe he will contribute more as he gets NFL experience and more playing time. In fact a lot of people wanted the Cards to draft Johnson last year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Dude the jury is WAY out on like 90% of those guys. It’s way too early to call them “hits.” And you know that.