Wk 15 Arizona Cardinals off season news and stuff. 4/17/23-4/23/23

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I’ve yet to read a compelling argument against doing what they’ve done in free agency.
Is there a compelling argument for doing what they've done in FA? I've yet to read one.

I think the most compelling reason to give you is that it in no way, shape, or form sets us up for success in 2024. 2023 is already gone, and we all know it, but we're not going to carry a single one of these schmoes into the following year. If one of them breaks out, well, we'll have to re-sign them and will likely let 'em walk because they're too expensive. We will have even less good players next offseason than this offseason. Unless we have two record-breaking drafts and go on an insane FA spending spree, which is somehow a good idea, 2025 is our first shot to compete. That's icky.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I’ve yet to read a compelling argument against doing what they’ve done in free agency.
There’s certainly a logic to it, but that logic doesn’t seem to align with winning games as the priority.

The Cards haven’t done anything to replace the 25 sacks that retired or left in free agency

They’ve done almost nothing to build eithers line, but especially defensive tackle.

They currently have one starting-quality corner in a league where you need three.

They want to run 2- and 3-TE sets and have one healthy NFL quality tight end on the roster.

Signing all these bottom-of-the-roster guys is fine; the problem is we’re sitting on $25 million in cap space and are depending on a lot of rookies to make an immediate contribution (probably).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Is there a compelling argument for doing what they've done in FA? I've yet to read one.

I think the most compelling reason to give you is that it in no way, shape, or form sets us up for success in 2024. 2023 is already gone, and we all know it, but we're not going to carry a single one of these schmoes into the following year. If one of them breaks out, well, we'll have to re-sign them and will likely let 'em walk because they're too expensive. We will have even less good players next offseason than this offseason. Unless we have two record-breaking drafts and go on an insane FA spending spree, which is somehow a good idea, 2025 is our first shot to compete. That's icky.
Eh I think you're being fairly pessimistic.

If you look at the Rams model, they basically won a Superbowl with a few really good players and a bunch of scrubs. For the past few years, I would look at the Rams roster and think, "Man if any of their stars go down for 6-8 games, this team is cooked." The point is that it really only has to be a handful of stars.

With two good offseasons, the Cardinals can be competitive again.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This would be a surprise considering Colts and Chicks aren't taking OT and Lions likely aren't.

Raiders are the first team where its possible.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This would be a surprise considering Colts and Chicks aren't taking OT and Lions likely aren't.

Raiders are the first team where its possible.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Paris Johnson?

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Eh I think you're being fairly pessimistic.

If you look at the Rams model, they basically won a Superbowl with a few really good players and a bunch of scrubs. For the past few years, I would look at the Rams roster and think, "Man if any of their stars go down for 6-8 games, this team is cooked." The point is that it really only has to be a handful of stars.

With two good offseasons, the Cardinals can be competitive again.
So you agree the plan would be to be good again in 2024, which is a bad plan. Gotcha. Two good offseasons includes FA, and we have unarguably not had a good FA this offseason.