Week 4 of the Arizona Cardinals off season. 1/29/24-2/4/24

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did you watch more than 5% of his snaps?

No. No fan watches more than 5% of anyone's snaps.

But you don't need to watch him every snap to know he didn't even stand out on a bad defense. Arguably wasn't even the best safety on the team.

0 interceptions, 0 PDs, 0 FFs, 0 sacks in 12 games. Statistically his worst career year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No. No fan watches more than 5% of anyone's snaps.

But you don't need to watch him every snap to know he didn't even stand out on a bad defense. Arguably wasn't even the best safety on the team.

0 interceptions, 0 PDs, 0 FFs, 0 sacks in 12 games. Statistically his worst career year.
Got it. Double standard. Got it.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
funny thing is: Budda made the ProBowl based on player and coach voting, not fan

maybe it was the old - "make it one year after you deserve it and one year after you dont" thing for the ProBowl-- but players and coaches watch film

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
funny thing is: Budda made the ProBowl based on player and coach voting, not fan

maybe it was the old - "make it one year after you deserve it and one year after you dont" thing for the ProBowl-- but players and coaches watch film
Not really. They watch film of the teams they’re playing against, but the Bills didn’t watch any Cardinals games, and neither did their coaches.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Not really. They watch film of the teams they’re playing against, but the Bills didn’t watch any Cardinals games, and neither did their coaches.
thats still watching film

the Cardinals did play 14 different NFL teams this year -- its a decent sample

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

All that tells us is they like Baker. Very likely he pays for the strippers when they get together in the off season

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean Budda was selected over Antoine Winfield Jr. and the season Winfield just had completely outclasses any season in Budda's career.

Yup. Even rookie Brian Branch had a far better season. Probably 15 safeties in the NFC had a better season the Budda. Including JT.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Budda hangs around collecting checks for a few more years, he too can be in the HOF discussion with PP7

lol

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What's the general feeling on Budda?

He has a $19m (yikes) cap hit in 2024 for a free safety. Think what you could get for $19m. Julian Love, the other NFC Pro Bowl safety is on $6m per.

For me, he either has to be extended for much less money, or traded. Although to trade him we would either have to eat some of his deal, or he has to agree to a new contract in the trade. It's a deep FA group too.

While I'm sure the Org love his attitude I'm not sure they love it for $19m on a rebuilding team.

Even funnier is Jamal Adams has a $27m cap hit next year with $21m dead cap and was benched by the Seahawks last year.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the general feeling on Budda?

He has a $19m (yikes) cap hit in 2024 for a free safety. Think what you could get for $19m. Julian Love, the other NFC Pro Bowl safety is on $6m per.

For me, he either has to be extended for much less money, or traded. Although to trade him we would either have to eat some of his deal, or he has to agree to a new contract in the trade. It's a deep FA group too.

While I'm sure the Org love his attitude I'm not sure they love it for $19m on a rebuilding team.

Even funnier is Jamal Adams has a $27m cap hit next year with $21m dead cap and was benched by the Seahawks last year.
Excellent question. What does Budda bring to the table at this point that a decent rookie or free agent doesn't?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Excellent question. What does Budda bring to the table at this point that a decent rookie or free agent doesn't?

There's a lot he bring in leadership and I imagine he's a key part of the locker room, it's just not worth $19m. Or close to $19m.

On the field, I'm not sure what he offers over a CGJ, Geno Stone, Jordan Fuller or Julian Blackmon who are all FA. He hasn't really been all that since 2021.

If everyone was honest with themselves they would say the only area where Budda stands out is tackling. Especially downhill. At which he's maybe the best in the league. But his ball skills and coverage are meh.

And in the scheme we run now, I don't recall him being used much in a role that suits him. I think a parting of ways might suit everyone involved.

(waiting for those that say this defense sucks and needs overhauling to argue we need to keep Budda because vibes)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a lot he bring in leadership and I imagine he's a key part of the locker room, it's just not worth $19m. Or close to $19m.

On the field, I'm not sure what he offers over a CGJ, Geno Stone, Jordan Fuller or Julian Blackmon who are all FA. He hasn't really been all that since 2021.

If everyone was honest with themselves they would say the only area where Budda stands out is tackling. Especially downhill. At which he's maybe the best in the league. But his ball skills and coverage are meh.

And in the scheme we run now, I don't recall him being used much in a role that suits him.

(waiting for those that say this defense sucks and needs overhauling to argue we need to keep Budda because vibes)
Thanks. This defense has been historically bad so why wouldn't they look at replacing Budda's "leadership?" That is what I want to know.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks. This defense has been historically bad so why wouldn't they look at replacing Budda's "leadership?" That is what I want to know.

Personally, I think he will be gone. I'm in the 70/30 confidence range, and I think the only way he stays is with an extension that lowers the cap hit. I don't see how they keep him with a $19m hit.

The two super bowl finalists last year had Justin Reid and Juan Thornhill at safety on one side and Marcus Epps and CGJ on the other. CGJ and Marcus Epps signed $6m per deals this year. Thornhill signed a $7m deal and Justin Reid was already signed at $10.5.

The Niners safeties are rookie Ji'Ayir Brown, who has started since week 11 when Talanoa Hufanga was hurt, and Tashuan Gipson. Gipson is on $2.9m per.

You just don't need to pay that much for good safety play.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I mean Budda was selected over Antoine Winfield Jr. and the season Winfield just had completely outclasses any season in Budda's career.
You’re missing the point of my post. Elsewhere on the board brit essentially called k9 a liar when he had a harsh critique of Ojulari claiming no way k9 watched more than 5% of his snaps bc no one watches more than 5% of the snaps of any player. By his own reasoning brit shouldn’t be able to criticize any player bc he’s only watched 5% of that players snaps. Yet here he is, doing exactly what k9 did . . . hence “double standard.”

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m not even defending the budda selection, just commenting on the hypocrisy.