Week 4 of the Arizona Cardinals off season. 1/29/24-2/4/24

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you want to spin fantasies, why not trade the 27th overall pick for Aaron Donald and use the cap money on him? He's as likely to be available as Brian Burns.

Just remind me when context matters: It's extremely important when evaluating whether or not BJ Ojulari can win 1:1s, but it's not important when considering Geno Stone, who had one career interception and was a special teamer until this season, playing on one of the best defenses in the NFL.

1. Brian Burns is FA, at this moment he's available and you don't know any different. But it was just an example, insert whatever player at whatever position you like.

2. Again, Geno Stone was just a random name, choose whoever you like, I believe I made that clear in the post. There are a dozen good safeties available in FA.

The point wasn't who the exact players are, obviously, the point is how you get better without Budda.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
1. Brian Burns is FA, at this moment he's available and you don't know any different. But it was just an example, insert whatever player at whatever position you like.

2. Again, Geno Stone was just a random name, choose whoever you like, I believe I made that clear in the post. There are a dozen good safeties available in FA.

The point wasn't who the exact players are, obviously, the point is how you get better without Budda.
The only way is to spend a bunch of money, which we all know won't happen. Monti already has to spend a lot in FA to be relevant. We all know if he cuts Budda we're getting a guy for a fraction of the price and who is a fraction of the player. This is known :)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only way is to spend a bunch of money, which we all know won't happen. Monti already has to spend a lot in FA to be relevant. We all know if he cuts Budda we're getting a guy for a fraction of the price and who is a fraction of the player. This is known :)
WAGER: the Cardinals will spend a bunch. Maybe not a bushel or a peck.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Normally I'd agree with you. This offseason? With Monti a conservative GM who already has much bigger holes to fill? If they cut him I don't think we get any better at the position. I think the hole is plugged with a cheap vet or later-round rookie. I think if he gets cut we downgrade, at least somewhat. The idea that Monti will cut player X and immediately invest all the saved cap space to upgrade that position is overly optimistic, IMO.
Trading out last year, and then trading back up is not what a conservative GM would do. Just saying.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With Monti a conservative GM
I just don’t understand how you’re already writing the book on this dude. Understandable if it was at least 4 years, but after 1 year because he didn’t go super splash heavy in FA? Confusing.

We would have thought Keim was a good GM after his 1st year this type of impatience.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don’t understand how you’re already writing the book on this dude. Understandable if it was at least 4 years, but after 1 year because he didn’t go super splash heavy in FA? Confusing.

We would have thought Keim was a good GM after his 1st year this type of impatience.
Welcome to the Internets. :)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Dreaming is free. I don't think there's much chance of Evans leaving Tampa.
Yeah.
Honestly I would prefer we just draft multiple wr's... We need to grow our own stars. Having two rookie wideouts isn't usually ideal but next season will be kylers first full season in the new system and I think it would help him to help train our wideouts. We ain't likely making a Superbowl run in 24 anyway. But .... sometimes a rookie wideout can surprise ya

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah.
Honestly I would prefer we just draft multiple wr's... We need to grow our own stars. Having two rookie wideouts isn't usually ideal but next season will be kylers first full season in the new system and I think it would help him to help train our wideouts. We ain't likely making a Superbowl run in 24 anyway. But .... sometimes a rookie wideout can surprise ya
I have begun to think in the same terms.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:championship:

:championship:

We said the same thing about Will Anderson and immediately transitioned to "Wait until we have the #1 and #2 overall picks in the draft.
I didn't! The only defensive player I fawned over last year was Christian Gonzalez. When we traded back, I thought we had a chance to take him. While I still think there is a chance MHJ is gone at #4, I want him if he's there. I'll be more bummed than that. I was when we passed on AP and Suggs.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Eh, not so much writing the book as the feeling I get. Trading back and trading back up is much more conservative than staying at the top and taking the premium pick. Getting a lesser talent and future hope, to me, was more conservative. I get why he did it, but still.

Also, I didn't want him to splash super heavy in FA. I just wanted a good long-term piece or two.