The rebuilding thread.

zod

Registered
Reaction score
It's time. We had a hell of a run the last few years, but it is time to start retooling for the future. It's too bad we don't have a pick next season, but we just have to live with it. We need to get young passionate players that take pride in playing defense and want to get on the floor.

Players I don't want back next year:

Nash
Shaq
Barnes
Jrich

I believe Nash has an option, I say we pick it up and trade him for some young players/draft picks.

I try and see if we can get a team to bite on Shaq's enormous expiring contract. Hopefully get some promising young players in return.

Barnes has some good moments, but he is far too inconsistent to be counted on.

Jrich is an explosive scorer against poor teams, but against good teams he seems to disappear. He is young, so hopefully we can trade him for some young talent/draft picks.

Players to keep:
Amare
Amundson
Barbosa
Dragic
Dudley
Lopez

Amare I am 50/50 on. If we can get a blockbuster deal for him I would pull the trigger. He is bad defensively, but I think he could succeed with a Tyson Chandler type big man next to him to take some of the defensive pressure off of him.

Amundson is a team player, gives 110% every play. Also a solid defender that can come off the bench. Can probably be had for relatively cheap, I think he is a no brainer to keep around.

Barbosa has a very friendly contract, and has really come into his own offensively. Not a good 1 on 1 defender, but his quickness I think can give him to average a couple steals per game. And he seems to have gotten over disappearing against good teams.

Dragic has played much better after the all-star break, shows flashes on defense, has some range and can pass. No brainer to keep him around to develop.

Dudley is starting to come into his own. Has some nice range, lots of energy and hustle, and plays solid defense. Plus he is young. Keep him.

Lopez has some shot blocking ability, but can't rebound to save his life and is a bad offensive player. Big men take awhile to come around, and I doubt Kerr gets rid of him after drafting him relatively early.

Thoughts?

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
I might be in the minority here, but keep this team together for one more season.

This roster has yet to play one FULL season, and this season was just doomed from the beginning. They wanted to implement defense but then regressed when they realized they didn't have the roster for it. This is all ifs, but if Gentry was the coach from the beginning, I believe they would have at least 10 more wins because of the style of play and fighting for the middle seeds right now instead of being eliminated.

Again, this is my opinion....but bring back Gentry, go out and find some more roll players, but keep the core together and go for it one last time. I mean really, if all else fails, and next season is another disappointment, they have Shaq's contract off the books, etc.

A mad Shaq has proven to be physically dominating, he could possibly be mad all next season. (Trying to proof he still has it, not mad at the team)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zod

Registered
Reaction score
It has been proven time and time again that this style of basketball can not win a championship. I don't want them together next year, its time to start rebuilding.

jpdavis82

Reaction score
It has been proven time and time again that this style of basketball can not win a championship. I don't want them together next year, its time to start rebuilding.

Has it? I mean just look at the last 5 years how many times with a few breaks here or there how close we got to winning it all.

In 04-05 It was the JJ injury

In 05-06 without Amare we made it to the WCF.

In 06-07 we had the Amare/Diaw suspension, if we would have won that series we would have won a championship that year. There was no way Cleveland would have beat us with us having home court.

Last year we had the Duncan 3 in Game 1 that changed the series.

This year we've had everything that could go wrong, go wrong.

I'm with Andrew, I say get rid of Barnes and J-Rich, get Amare back, bring in a solid SG/3pt shooter(Curry) who can defend through the draft, sign another PF and another 3PT shooter and see what this team can do with a full year of Gentry coaching. I think we can be back in the top 4 in the West next year, easily.

Something like this

Nash, Dragic
Curry, Barbosa,
Hill, Dudley,Ariza
Amare,Amundson
Shaq, Lopez, Lafrentz, Okur, or Andersen(Bird Man)

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I say that giving Iverson and Marion max-deals should be top priority for the offseason

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since there is no playoff money I expect:

Trade Shaq and 3 unprotected first round picks for cash. Sell our lottery pick for cash. Introduce Amare Stoudemire as our new free agent/draft pick/assistant coach.

lou_skywalker

Registered
Reaction score
For me getting rid of Nash has highest priority, good defense starts with guarding the point, so I hope we can get a young PG better at defense.....

Sunshooter

Registered
Reaction score
I say that giving Iverson and Marion max-deals should be top priority for the offseason

Matrix is impossible.
If the team give a starter place to AI, he may come to PHX with mid-level exception. But J-Rich need to leave first...

jadedsunsfan

Reaction score
The question is not whether or not to rebuild, it is how to rebuild. How can the Suns maintain a high-tempo offense, while building in tough defense?

I see the model in the Seattle team under George Karl and Gary Payton.

The idea is to employ a full-court pressing defense, with shot-blocking support if the press is penetrated. The ball-hawking point guard will be the centerpiece here. Obviously it can't be Nash -- I'm talking either a Dragic or a Barbosa.

The idea is to generate a lot of turnovers via steals and blocked shots, and run off these turnovers. Of course, a full-court press will occasionally give up easy buckets. Still, it will be effective enough as a defensive tool, and generate a lot of fast breaks.

Keepers: Barbosa, Amundson, Dudley, Dragic, Lopez (give him a year first), Richardson (there's no choice, since his character issues have made him untradeable).

Would like to keep: Grant Hill, but it's his choice

Evaluate strategic options and probably keep: Amare

Let them ride off into the sunset: Nash, Shaq. See what kind of value they'd bring back. Otherwise, let their contracts expire, and let them gracefully retire/sign elsewhere.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The question is not whether or not to rebuild, it is how to rebuild. How can the Suns maintain a high-tempo offense, while building in tough defense?

That's like saying hey let's get some good defenders who can also put up huge offensive numbers. That's not going to happen. There are not enough players in the NBA that can do both. Let alone the Suns get most of them to build their roster. I think you start with a solid defensive foundation that add scorers to your foundation and find the right mix.

We should worry less about high octane offense and more about great defense.

I see the model in the Seattle team under George Karl and Gary Payton.

The idea is to employ a full-court pressing defense, with shot-blocking support if the press is penetrated. The ball-hawking point guard will be the centerpiece here. Obviously it can't be Nash -- I'm talking either a Dragic or a Barbosa.

Full court presses are not like in college. In the NBA full court presses against teams that run and gun lead to easy points once broken. You have to pick your spots. Full time full court press will not work in the NBA. Too much offensive talent.

Keepers: Barbosa, Amundson, Dudley, Dragic, Lopez (give him a year first), Richardson (there's no choice, since his character issues have made him untradeable).

Would like to keep: Grant Hill, but it's his choice

Evaluate strategic options and probably keep: Amare

Let them ride off into the sunset: Nash, Shaq. See what kind of value they'd bring back. Otherwise, let their contracts expire, and let them gracefully retire/sign elsewhere.

Barbosa, Amundson, Dudley & Dragic is a good bench foundation. I agree keep them. Lopez is a bust. I guess it wouldn't hurt to keep him another year but I don't see anything out of him that doesn't scream scrub.

Hil will not stay on a rebuilding team. I say we keep JRich. Barnes, I have seen enough. He is a player that if you don't rely on him, he contributes. As soon as you rely on the guy, he chokes.

Nash needs to go. Probably Amare too. Shaq has to go to but not because of his play. He has been great this season. This team is in rebuild mode so keeping him makes zero sense. You need to trade him while he has value.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
suns do not have their 2010 pick, so if I was Kerr and Sarver,

I would stock up on picks for 2009 and 2010, using Richardson to nab a top 10 pick for 2009 or 2010.

Nash should fetch a couple of picks and young talent.
O'Neal (see Nash).

O'Neal will look very appealing to contenders such as Cavs, Lakers, Celtics, Blazers, Hornets, heck even Spurs. Nuggets also.
Nash, I see being chased by playoff contenders, he would do wonders in a team with defensive players, I wouldnt be surprise if Pistons go after him for a year rental, get him off the bench (with around 25 minutes) or Warriors.

Nash and O'Neal are expiring contracts who can contribute, push playoff teams onto contenders.

I would trade Stoudemire in a heart beat, if a team offered a top 3 pick (+ young prospects defending on pick). Elton Brand also looks good, his contract is "friendlier" at 15 million a year, but its long. Can come handy if the Suns retain Nash, JRich etc. Stoudemire would fit in Philly with their run and gun and athletic lineup. They are a playoff team without a finisher at the 4 or 5 already.

Ideal
Nash for 2009/2010 Lottery pick + young prospect

O'Neal for 2009/2010 Lottery pick + young prospect

JRich for 2009/2010 Lottery pick + young prospect

Stoudemire for 2009 Top 3 pick + filler OR Elton Brand + Mareese Speights OR 2010 first round pick.

Keepers:

Barbosa
Dudley
Dragic
Amundson
Lopez - Give him 24 minutes and I think he will adjust and develop to a workable big man.

And have a huge amount of young prospects and picks for the next 2 years.
Maybe even package all those picks for a young star.

asudevil83

Reaction score
suns do not have their 2010 pick, so if I was Kerr and Sarver,

I would stock up on picks for 2009 and 2010, using Richardson to nab a top 10 pick for 2009 or 2010.

Nash should fetch a couple of picks and young talent.
O'Neal (see Nash).

O'Neal will look very appealing to contenders such as Cavs, Lakers, Celtics, Blazers, Hornets, heck even Spurs. Nuggets also.
Nash, I see being chased by playoff contenders, he would do wonders in a team with defensive players, I wouldnt be surprise if Pistons go after him for a year rental, get him off the bench (with around 25 minutes) or Warriors.

Nash and O'Neal are expiring contracts who can contribute, push playoff teams onto contenders.

I would trade Stoudemire in a heart beat, if a team offered a top 3 pick (+ young prospects defending on pick). Elton Brand also looks good, his contract is "friendlier" at 15 million a year, but its long. Can come handy if the Suns retain Nash, JRich etc. Stoudemire would fit in Philly with their run and gun and athletic lineup. They are a playoff team without a finisher at the 4 or 5 already.

Ideal
Nash for 2009/2010 Lottery pick + young prospect

O'Neal for 2009/2010 Lottery pick + young prospect

JRich for 2009/2010 Lottery pick + young prospect

Stoudemire for 2009 Top 3 pick + filler OR Elton Brand + Mareese Speights OR 2010 first round pick.

Keepers:

Barbosa
Dudley
Dragic
Amundson
Lopez - Give him 24 minutes and I think he will adjust and develop to a workable big man.

And have a huge amount of young prospects and picks for the next 2 years.
Maybe even package all those picks for a young star.

the problem with your want is that both Nash and Shaq wont fetch top picks...unless you are looking at a multi team trade....or teams that are screwed financially....which would have us also taking on long term contracts. not sure if Sarver is up for that.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score

Let's explore that a little..

First of all, Shaq costs $20 million a year, so any team that would take him would have to be able to absorb that contract. Now that would eliminate every team listed unless those teams are willing to go deep into luxury tax land. Let's assume for a moment they are.

The Cavs- Current Starter is Zydrunas Ilgauskas. The guy is 3 years younger then Shaq and is a competent starter on a team with the best defense in the league. He averages 13.1 points and 7.3 rebounds a game. Those numbers are a little lower then Shaq's but Shaq makes litterally twice as much (Z makes just over $10 mil.) Now, knowing you are already (arguably) the best team in the NBA, are you going to risk your chemestry to gamble on O'Neil as a starter for $20 million a year? Probably not. Are you going to pay $20 million for a reserve? Definitely not.

The Lakers- Despite the love fest at the All Star Game, Shaq and Kobe could not co-exist for an entire season. The Lakers still believe in Andrew Bynum despite his health problems, and when he plays he's more of a use to the Lakers then Shaq would be since he doesn't demand the ball and keeps enough touches for Kobe and Pau. The Lakers would be another place where he would likely be a backup behind a healthy Bynum and Shaq's ego won't permit that. The Lakers also can not take on a $20 mil contract, that would cost them any chance of keeping Lamar Odom.

Blazers- A team built around a young core. The Blazers spent that pick on Greg Oden, they're not going to bring Shaq in and pay him $20 million to keep their next "big thing" on the bench. The Blazers have been undergoing a strong youth movement over the last year and Shaq is a terrible fit here.

Hornets- This option is intriguing, Shaq would actually improve this team. Tyson Chandler is a solid defensive Center but can be a serious offensive liability at times. Shaq would fix that and allow Chandler to split time keeping both guys fresh. The problem here however, is do to financial reasons, the Hornets would almost certainly have to include Chandler in any trade to balance salary. They would still be about $9 million short and the Hornets would likely want the Suns to take Antonio Daniels bloated contract, which I doubt the Suns would want. I don't see any other player combination that both teams are likely to agree to. Still, this seems the best option.

San Antonio- Another intriguing option as this move would allow Tim Duncan to move back to his natural position of Power Forward. Again, money is an issue, as is the fact that the Spurs keep getting older and would be very hesitant to take a player Shaq's age. There is also the fact that San Antonio and Phoenix are bitter rivals. Would the Suns really want to help the Spurs? In the end they would obviously care more for helping themselves, but what would Phoenix get back? A couple more old and over paid guys and a very high 3rd or 4th round pick? Doesn't seem like a good deal for Phoenix.

Denver- Again another intriguing option, but another team that would require Phoenix to take on some bloated deals in order to balance out. The most likely player to go to Phoenix in this deal would be the often injured Kenyon Martin or the much hated Nene. Nene isn't very good, and Martin is always hurt, so I don't know how interested the Suns would be in either. As far as picks go, the Nuggets would probably not give up anything better then a 4th rounder and as the current #2 seed in the West, that's not very tempting.

Shaq's deal makes him very difficult to move. The best option for the Suns might be to try and buy out Shaq just to get out from under the contract. That means they walk away with nothing, but it would make them players in Free Agency and give them money to build. Shaq's age coupled with his price tag is going to make him very hard to move. The thought of becoming an unrestricted free agent might be enough to lure Shaq to take the deal though.

Last edited:

French Fries

Mangaworm
Reaction score

First of all, Shaq costs $20 million a year, so any team that would take him would have to be able to absorb that contract. Now that would eliminate every team listed unless those teams are willing to go deep into luxury tax land. Let's assume for a moment they are.

The Cavs- Current Starter is Zydrunas Ilgauskas. The guy is 3 years younger then Shaq and is a competent starter on a team with the best defense in the league. He averages 13.1 points and 7.3 rebounds a game. Those numbers are a little lower then Shaq's but Shaq makes litterally twice as much (Z makes just over $10 mil.) Now, knowing you are already (arguably) the best team in the NBA, are you going to risk your chemestry to gamble on O'Neil as a starter for $20 million a year? Probably not. Are you going to pay $20 million for a reserve? Definitely not.

The Lakers- Despite the love fest at the All Star Game, Shaq and Kobe could not co-exist for an entire season. The Lakers still believe in Andrew Bynum despite his health problems, and when he plays he's more of a use to the Lakers then Shaq would be since he doesn't demand the ball and keeps enough touches for Kobe and Pau. The Lakers would be another place where he would likely be a backup behind a healthy Bynum and Shaq's ego won't permit that. The Lakers also can not take on a $20 mil contract, that would cost them any chance of keeping Lamar Odom.

Blazers- A team built around a young core. The Blazers spent that pick on Greg Oden, they're not going to bring Shaq in and pay him $20 million to keep their next "big thing" on the bench. The Blazers have been undergoing a strong youth movement over the last year and Shaq is a terrible fit here.

Hornets- This option is intriguing, Shaq would actually improve this team. Tyson Chandler is a solid defensive Center but can be a serious offensive liability at times. Shaq would fix that and allow Chandler to split time keeping both guys fresh. The problem here however, is do to financial reasons, the Hornets would almost certainly have to include Chandler in any trade to balance salary. They would still be about $9 million short and the Hornets would likely want the Suns to take Antonio Daniels bloated contract, which I doubt the Suns would want. I don't see any other player combination that both teams are likely to agree to. Still, this seems the best option.

San Antonio- Another intriguing option as this move would allow Tim Duncan to move back to his natural position of Power Forward. Again, money is an issue, as is the fact that the Spurs keep getting older and would be very hesitant to take a player Shaq's age. There is also the fact that San Antonio and Phoenix are bitter rivals. Would the Suns really want to help the Spurs? In the end they would obviously care more for helping themselves, but what would Phoenix get back? A couple more old and over paid guys and a very high 3rd or 4th round pick? Doesn't seem like a good deal for Phoenix.

Denver- Again another intriguing option, but another team that would require Phoenix to take on some bloated deals in order to balance out. The most likely player to go to Phoenix in this deal would be the often injured Kenyon Martin or the much hated Nene. Nene isn't very good, and Martin is always hurt, so I don't know how interested the Suns would be in either. As far as picks go, the Nuggets would probably not give up anything better then a 4th rounder and as the current #2 seed in the West, that's not very tempting.

Shaq's deal makes him very difficult to move. The best option for the Suns might be to try and buy out Shaq just to get out from under the contract. That means they walk away with nothing, but it would make them players in Free Agency and give them money to build. Shaq's age coupled with his price tag is going to make him very hard to move. The thought of becoming an unrestricted free agent might be enough to lure Shaq to take the deal though.

hate to pad my post count but gotta do it. +5 for the elaborate post

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
I think that the biggest pitfall with rebuilding is the "blow it up" mentality. While this current squad clearly won't get the job done, we do have plenty of valuable individual pieces. Of all the guys that we want to move, we don't have any cancers or immovable guys; everybody has value to the right time. I don't want to pull a Memphis and just give up good players for pennies on the dollar. That's a guaranteed prolonged (4 years) rebuilding process. Not the ideal scenario.

The first step is to find a new head coach. Gentry is by all accounts a stand-up guy and the players love him but... he's just not what this team needs. I think that most fans are ready to close the door on offense heavy, no defense teams. We need a serious defense oriented coach. The obvious choice here is the notorious JVG, but he might be out of our price range. Either way, we need a guy who's primary focus is defense, and Gentry is not that coach (he's proven as much).

Second, we need some savvy trades. The first one to come to mind is one that Darth touched on. Shaq for Tyson Chandler and Antonio Daniels. TC is a player who I have always liked: a tenacious rebounder and a defense oriented player. Daniels might have a bloated contract, but it's a short one, and we'd actually be coming out ahead money wise. Plus, he's a servicable player and we'll need help at the point if we trade Nash (which we should).

Nash is number two on the hit list. Portland would be a good option, and a Nash for Blake/Batum/Fernandez deal would probably work for both sides. Then you could go out and pull a deal with Philly that sends STAT over there for Brand and Speights.

That would give us this lineup:
Barbosa
Richardson
Dudley
Brand
Chandler

Bench: Blake, Dragic, Lopez, Speights, Fernandez, Lou

For a rebuilding team, that squad has the potential to be a very good one, and perhaps even playoff bound. There's a deep and versatile bench (something that has been seriously lacking in the past), and, with the right coach, a very good defensive team. There's also some young guys (Speights, Fernandez, Batum, Dragic, Lopez, and Dudley) who could develop into decent players down the line.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Nash is number two on the hit list. Portland would be a good option, and a Nash for Blake/Batum/Fernandez deal would probably work for both sides. Then you could go out and pull a deal with Philly that sends STAT over there for Brand and Speights.

Barbosa
Richardson
Dudley
Brand
Chandler

For a rebuilding team, that squad has the potential to be a very good one, and perhaps even playoff bound. There's a deep and versatile bench (something that has been seriously lacking in the past), and, with the right coach, a very good defensive team. There's also some young guys (Speights, Fernandez, Batum, Dragic, Lopez, and Dudley) who could develop into decent players down the line.

Any team that has Brand can make it no better than a lottery team, not to mention his contract and injury issue. I'd rather have Amare and Shaq. If we could get the deal for Nash you proposed from Portland, we are a true contender when Hill comes back

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Point taken and kinda knew the situations with those teams. Hence it was "ideal" for me, but unrealistic.. yes. But again I was looking for "good" options rather than realistic options... my bad.

But good elaboration, I too think Hornets look interesting, but doesnt have the cap.

Cavs have cap assuming they send Suns Wallace + young prospect, as rumoured earlier before deadline.

Spurs would be perfect for O'Neal, but sadly they do not have anything to trade with.

Buying O'Neal out is crazy, might as well pay him that much and "contend" for the 8th spot next season rather than pay him 20 Million and not play, Suns do not have anything to fall back on sadly.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think that the biggest pitfall with rebuilding is the "blow it up" mentality. While this current squad clearly won't get the job done, we do have plenty of valuable individual pieces. Of all the guys that we want to move, we don't have any cancers or immovable guys; everybody has value to the right time. I don't want to pull a Memphis and just give up good players for pennies on the dollar. That's a guaranteed prolonged (4 years) rebuilding process. Not the ideal scenario.

The first step is to find a new head coach. Gentry is by all accounts a stand-up guy and the players love him but... he's just not what this team needs. I think that most fans are ready to close the door on offense heavy, no defense teams. We need a serious defense oriented coach. The obvious choice here is the notorious JVG, but he might be out of our price range. Either way, we need a guy who's primary focus is defense, and Gentry is not that coach (he's proven as much).

Second, we need some savvy trades. The first one to come to mind is one that Darth touched on. Shaq for Tyson Chandler and Antonio Daniels. TC is a player who I have always liked: a tenacious rebounder and a defense oriented player. Daniels might have a bloated contract, but it's a short one, and we'd actually be coming out ahead money wise. Plus, he's a servicable player and we'll need help at the point if we trade Nash (which we should).

Barbosa
Richardson
Dudley
Brand
Chandler

I like it for the Suns, obviously as Im a Suns fan...

but if you are a Blazers fan or heck.. the GM... would you trade youthful potential stars/semi stars for a veteran all-star guard with 2-3 season left?

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Any team that has Brand can make it no better than a lottery team, not to mention his contract and injury issue. I'd rather have Amare and Shaq. If we could get the deal for Nash you proposed from Portland, we are a true contender when Hill comes back

Brand's 20 point 10 rebounds 2 blocks per game is a bargain at $15 Million a year.
Injury wise, the guy was put on shelf as they didnt need him this season... the key words there are "didnt need him".... 76ers better without a low post pivot back to the basket big man... they are better suited with Stoudemire-type.

The injury also are not determining factors for his contribution, he will recover...

Blazers trade is dream for Suns and the fans.... Fernandez, Batum and Blake are all decent to turn very good type of players in the next 2 years.

Blazer GM must be crazy to do that....

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How about O'Neal + Tucker for Boozer + fillers.

Boozer is leaving either way it looks.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
How about O'Neal + Tucker for Boozer + fillers.

Boozer is leaving either way it looks.

Problem there is once again money. You would ship $21 Million in contracts for Boozer who makes $11 Million. The Jazz would have to include a slew of other players or someone like Mehmet Okur which they wouldn't do. They might part with Matt Harpring since he's not worth what he makes, but why would the Jazz do that just to rent Shaq for one year? If the Jazz just decide they want to take one run at a title, then maybe, but I think they could probably do better for someone like Boozer.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Some quality posts in here. Even a McDirt sighting.
I think the NO deal involving Shaq for Chandler + bad contract filler is a legitimate proposal. Chandlers recent injury woes scare me but getting that type of value for Shaq is obviously a deal we couldn't pass up IMO.
If that deal went down I would keep Amare here & and tell him to go get 40 ppg,block a couple shots & grab a rebound everynow&then.
I still think Nash to Boston isn't so far fetched if they fall to the Cavs this year. They've got alot of defensive talent that could possibly negate Nash's weakness there....possibly. Nash could easily avg 15 apg in Boston IMO.
Not sure where his value will be after this season though.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Darth, you mentioned 3rd and 4th round draft picks in your long post... have you forgotten there have been only two rounds in the NBA draft? Good exploration of the possibilities though.