Chris Paul appreciation thread

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Here are the Suns players in the Ring of Honor, in chronological order of when their tenures with the Suns ended:

Connie Hawkins
Dick Van Arsdale
Alvan Adams
Walter Davis
Paul Westphal (also coach)
Tom Chambers
Charles Barkley
Kevin Johnson
Dan Majerle
Steve Nash

It's hard to see Paul up there if Marion isn't. One could even make a case for Stoudemire before Paul.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here are the Suns players in the Ring of Honor, in chronological order of when their tenures with the Suns ended:

Connie Hawkins
Dick Van Arsdale
Alvan Adams
Walter Davis
Tom Chambers
Charles Barkley
Kevin Johnson
Dan Majerle
Steve Nash

It's hard to see Paul up there if Marion isn't. One could even make a case for Stoudemire before Paul.

Stoudemire deserves to be in. I think he should go in before Marion. Marion deserves in as well but if I had to choose between them, I'd go with Stat.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Connie Hawkins
Dick Van Arsdale
Alvan Adams
Walter Davis
Tom Chambers
Charles Barkley
Kevin Johnson
Dan Majerle
Steve Nash

I’m always guessing but something happened behind closed doors, as I remember Stat came back and retired as a Knick which was surprising as I considered him an all time Sun.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m always guessing but something happened behind closed doors, as I remember Stat came back and retired as a Knick which was surprising as I considered him an all time Sun.

It's time to put the past in the past.

If Charles Barkley made the Ring of Honor after a dispute with Colamgelo, the door should be open for Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudemire.

It's sad Marion was traded.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A championship or 5+ years. I know Barkley is there with 4 years but we reached new heights under Chuck and he also won an MVP here.
This. Comparing him to Barkley isn’t even comparable. Yeah, Chris returned the Suns to respectability but Barkley put this team on the map for the first time ever for a market our size. At one point the Suns were the number one away draw in arenas across the country. We were one of the hottest jerseys across the league and after that became a free agent destination.

No Paul in the ROH.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This. Comparing him to Barkley isn’t even comparable. Yeah, Chris returned the Suns to respectability but Barkley put this team on the map for the first time ever for a market our size. At one point the Suns were the number one away draw in arenas across the country. We were one of the hottest jerseys across the league and after that became a free agent destination.

No Paul in the ROH.
We were a free agent destination before chuck. Tom chambers and ainge were two of the very first.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were a free agent destination before chuck. Tom chambers and ainge were two of the very first.
Nothing like after Chuck got here. Guys were not clamoring to play with Ainge or Chambers. Plus the other stuff mentioned above.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris spent equal time with the Hornets and Clips right? Seems like he would be a lock for ROH in one of those locations no?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Connie Hawkins
Dick Van Arsdale
Alvan Adams
Walter Davis
Tom Chambers
Charles Barkley
Kevin Johnson
Dan Majerle
Steve Nash

Hawkins didn’t play long enough and didn’t win anything. Davis never became as great as he should’ve been and never won anything. Chambers had a couple great years statistically but shouldn’t be in. Majerle is the most overrated player in franchise history but he’s a fan favorite so I get that he’s in.

There’s no excuse for Marion not to be in there. He played 8-9 years, has the numbers, made multiple all-nba teams and did a lot of the dirty work.

Amare peaked so highly even for a short time that he should be in there.

No to CP.

—————-

My 10 player list:
Westphal
Van Arsdale
Adams
KJ
Barkley
Majerle (iffy)
Nash
Marion
Amare (iffy)
Booker

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

IIRC Stoudemire wanted one last season here but we were in a total rebuild and wouldn't do it so he went to the Knicks instead and retired there. He wanted a farewell tour as a Sun since we were awful, he felt we could/should showcase him for a bit. This was around when Beasley was here so we were awful but I don't blame the franchise for passing.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IIRC Stoudemire wanted one last season here but we were in a total rebuild and wouldn't do it so he went to the Knicks instead and retired there. He wanted a farewell tour as a Sun since we were awful, he felt we could/should showcase him for a bit. This was around when Beasley was here so we were awful but I don't blame the franchise for passing.

Yeah I remember he wanted to retire here as well and came back from overseas for one last go saying that he was available.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was 2017 by the time Amare would have come knocking, we had just drafted Criss and Bender, we had Tyson Chandler and PJ Tucker on the roster, signing Amare would have made zero sense. Our front court was full of guys who were waaaaay better at that stage or younger guys that we were trying to develop.

I also never thought of Amare as a guy I'd want "mentoring" younger guys. Not that he was a bad apple, but his ego and his lack of self awareness didn't come off as "leadership" qualities.

But I'd put him in the ring of honor before CP3, I like CP3 but 3 years... and really more like 2 1/2, just isn't long enough.

Marion should be in there without question, I'm surprised he isn't in yet.

He has a really strong chance to end up in the hall of fame, statistically, he is one of the best qualified players to NOT be in yet. Him making our ring of honor should be a shoe in.

He also made an amazing, heads up, clutch play in one of my favorite moments in franchise history.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Xavier McDaniel in the 90 season I think was such a big trade for me. I thought he was going to be the cornerstone for the Suns for years but that was not in the cards.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Xavier McDaniel as well. I thought he was going to be the cornerstone for the Suns for years but that was not in the cards.
Man...I had forgotten about that guy until you brought it up.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Xavier McDaniel in the 90 season I think was such a big trade for me. I thought he was going to be the cornerstone for the Suns for years but that was not in the cards.
Yeah I thought, finally, we're adding a very good forward that also brings toughness. What a letdown.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agreed. I stoked to get x-man. What a fool I was.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was excited by the trade for the X-Man. Too bad it didn't work out.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Stoudemire and Marion were more accomplished Suns players than Majerle and are probably close to KJ. Of course, they should've been inducted as soon as they retired.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Also, Paul should definitely be in. He was clearly the best player on the team that got closest to winning a championship. He was also the best player on the team with the best record in franchise history.

The only thing separating him from Barkley is the MVP and a 4th season with a .500 record.