Suns @ Grizzlies Saturday 11-2-19 game thread

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Smooth? He was 2 for 7 tonight, and if you take away the game at Golden State (where everyone shot well), he is about 25% from the field.
If you don’t take that game away (because why would you do that?) he’s shooting 47%.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Baynes against Horford. Boston reunion.
In our first six games -- four victories and two 1-point losses,
is it fair to say that Baynes has been our most valuable player?

For the first time in his career, he has had back-to-back 20 point games.

And he has fulfilled the starting Center position with the loss of Ayton
for the last five games.

Runner-up? Rubio. He is a distributor and has allowed Booker to return
to his Shooting Guard position/alternate distributor.

The two of them, and our defense, added to our previous strengths,
are the difference vs. no Point Guard and the loss of Ayton.

What could have been more valuable to the team? Results talk!

The old Suns would still have Booker as our best scorer and as our
best distributor. And Forwards playing Center in place of Ayton.

Plus our MVGM James Jones and our MVC Monty Williams.

And whoever locked Robert Sarver in the closet. :)

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At the time, it was considered a significant contract based on what he’s done in the league so far, but he’s more than made up for it

not really. Hell hes 10x more accomplished than Terry Rozier who got paid more

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I'm stuck with the radio feed and unfortunately Al McCoy isn't calling it tonight. I can't place the voice who is filling in but he's done games before. I think he did some preseason games for the Suns. Kempton is there also.
I assume it was Jon Bloom.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You know what I liked about this win? It was ho-hum. Nothing spectacular, almost boring, business as usual, nothing to celebrate here. 6 games in, they've even developed a winner's attitude.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You know what I liked about this win? It was ho-hum. Nothing spectacular, almost boring, business as usual, nothing to celebrate here. 6 games in, they've even developed a winner's attitude.

No drama, no panic. There were basically zero games like that last year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yup. Noticed that too. They KNOW they are good.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Monty Williams has done to Booker is just incredible. Getting him to let the game come to him has resulted in the best shooting in his career. So his scoring is up despite his usage being down

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was watching NBA GameTime (on NBA TV) for last night's highlights and when the Suns game came up, SVG pointed out that we were the only NBA team in the top 10 on both ends of the court I know it's a tiny sample size and things might change greatly but still, what a difference from being bottom 3 in both categories last season.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was watching NBA GameTime (on NBA TV) for last night's highlights and when the Suns game came up, SVG pointed out that we were the only NBA team in the top 10 on both ends of the court I know it's a tiny sample size and things might change greatly but still, what a difference from being bottom 3 in both categories last season.

that turn around is insane.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
that turn around is insane.
It is not just coaching but personnel. You cannot become a good defensive team by adding one good defender. It has to become teamwide.

Baynes, Rubio, Carter, Oubre, Bridges

All excellent defenders. Turning of the tide.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If Rubio was a good shooter he never would have been available. He does everything else so well. If he had a shot he'd be the cornerstone of a franchise.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Rubio was a good shooter he never would have been available. He does everything else so well. If he had a shot he'd be the cornerstone of a franchise.

Agreed. But we're playing in an era where most teams need shooting from their PG and without it their spacing collapses. Right now we're getting by without him being an outside threat but I'm quite sure that will change during the season as most teams actually start scouting us. Hopefully it won't be enough to turn him into a negative. Once Ayton returns there's no reason they can't become one of the best pick and roll tandems which should help make up for Ricky not being a viable threat on the perimeter.

CRC83

Veteran
Reaction score
Agreed. But we're playing in an era where most teams need shooting from their PG and without it their spacing collapses. Right now we're getting by without him being an outside threat but I'm quite sure that will change during the season as most teams actually start scouting us. Hopefully it won't be enough to turn him into a negative. Once Ayton returns there's no reason they can't become one of the best pick and roll tandems which should help make up for Ricky not being a viable threat on the perimeter.
Hopefully he can shoot ~33% from 3, which is roughly the same as shooting 50% on 2 pt FGs. If he can do that hopefully it doesn’t hurt us much.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I would like to point out that while Rubio is certainly not a good shooter, he is quite a bit better historically than we have seen so far this season. I would expect his FG% to rise up into the 40s and his 3P% to potentially rise to around 32-33%. Still not going to make him a major shooting threat by any means, but it means he will at least make the opponent pay a decent amount of times that he is left open.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

When defenses rotate off of Rubio he often drives to the basket and either shoots, gets fouled or passes to an open shooter.

Did anybody else notice how every time Booker drove right last night the entire Griz team collapsed on him and drove him to the baseline?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
“Start scouting us” - ?!? You think teams don’t know Rubio can’t shoot? Or that they think he might be able to now that he’s in a new uniform? Steve, kind of a silly comment. Teams already sag waaaaay under when Rubio has the ball daring him to shoot. That’s not going to change even more to our detriment. The good news is he’s surrounded by 4 shooters almost 100% of the time which provides his drives spacing. If any change occurs teams will start defending us outside-in.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns are the No. 2 team in net rating rankings.

Tim MacMahon‏Verified account @espn_macmahon

I always check net rating rankings before voting on ESPN’s NBA power rankings. The No. 2 team as of now: Monty Williams’ Phoenix Suns.

7:08 AM - 3 Nov 2019

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Start scouting us” - ?!? You think teams don’t know Rubio can’t shoot? Or that they think he might be able to now that he’s in a new uniform? Steve, kind of a silly comment. Teams already sag waaaaay under when Rubio has the ball daring him to shoot. That’s not going to change even more to our detriment. The good news is he’s surrounded by 4 shooters almost 100% of the time which provides his drives spacing. If any change occurs teams will start defending us outside-in.

They have plenty of info on most of the individual players but this is a team sport. I've made plenty of silly comments in my life, I don't believe this is one of them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson