Suns @ Warriors Saturday game thread 2-10-2024

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We shouldve won this game
Well of course but when a guy hits a miracle shot at the buzzer from way back what can you do? Not a bad loss considering we didn’t even play well guys shots were off all night, and that is a tough arena and refs to get by on any night! Move on and learn from it maybe we see Bol on the inbounds guys instead of EG even on the floor, it madness that we don’t use the length in a defensive situation like that end of game scenario!

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Well of course but when a guy hits a miracle shot at the buzzer from way back what can you do? Not a bad loss considering we didn’t even play well guys shots were off all night, and that is a tough arena and refs to get by on any night! Move on and learn from it maybe we see Bol on the inbounds guys instead of EG even on the floor, it madness that we don’t use the length in a defensive situation like that end of game scenario!
Play better defense. Curry shouldn’t have been allowed any type of open shot. You can blame Beal but there should have been a secondary defender as well.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I see no reason to get rid of Gordon. But he’s massively more effective as a starter (16pts/game over 21 starts) than coming off the bench (9pts/game in 24 games). That’s disappointing. I didn’t check minutes or shooting percentage, so maybe it’s the equivalent effectiveness, but the eye test says otherwise.

I wonder what his minutes are for those games as well.

I decided to look up his numbers and his minutes aren't that different between starting and bench but his efficiency is night and day. Look at his shooting % off the bench.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I decided to look up his numbers and his minutes aren't that different between starting and bench but his efficiency is night and day. Look at his shooting % off the bench.

The drop in his shooting splits are crazy. My initial thought was off the bench he’s playing with scrubs but we usually keep one or two stars on at all times. And when he started he typically was filling in for book or beal. So he’s likely playing with similar squads as a starter and off the bench.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I see no reason to get rid of Gordon. But he’s massively more effective as a starter (16pts/game over 21 starts) than coming off the bench (9pts/game in 24 games). That’s disappointing. I didn’t check minutes or shooting percentage, so maybe it’s the equivalent effectiveness, but the eye test says otherwise.
I'm guessing it'd be the same way if it were the other way - with Grayson not producing as well coming off the bench?

When Gordon comes in Beal comes out - doesn't get the same type of wide opens that Grayson does

Plus Grayson starts because he knows how to play with the double team - he doesn't just sit he floats by the stars - when his defender sheds off Grayson knows to go get open for the 3 - knocking them down at an amazing clip - sorry Eric Gordon

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The drop in his shooting splits are crazy. My initial thought was off the bench he’s playing with scrubs but we usually keep one or two stars on at all times. And when he started he typically was filling in for book or beal. So he’s likely playing with similar squads as a starter and off the bench.
I still think that's a factor. I mean, playing as one of the starting 5 is still different then playing off the bench typically with 2 reserves in the lineup.

The Suns’ best 5-man lineup by NET rating (50 minutes or more): Booker-Allen-Gordon-Durant-Nurkic ranks 14th NBA-wide at +20.7 (143 minutes)

The Suns’ second-best 5-man lineup by NET rating (50 minutes or more): Booker-Beal-Allen-Durant-Nurkic ranks 27th NBA-wide at +14.4 (126 minutes)

The Suns’ third-best 5-man lineup by NET rating (50 minutes or more): Durant-Gordon-Allen-Nurkic-Okogie ranks 32nd NBA-wide at +12.7 (74 minutes)

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still think that's a factor. I mean, playing as one of the starting 5 is still different then playing off the bench typically with 2 reserves in the lineup.

The Suns’ best 5-man lineup by NET rating (50 minutes or more): Booker-Allen-Gordon-Durant-Nurkic ranks 14th NBA-wide at +20.7 (143 minutes)

The Suns’ second-best 5-man lineup by NET rating (50 minutes or more): Booker-Beal-Allen-Durant-Nurkic ranks 27th NBA-wide at +14.4 (126 minutes)

The Suns’ third-best 5-man lineup by NET rating (50 minutes or more): Durant-Gordon-Allen-Nurkic-Okogie ranks 32nd NBA-wide at +12.7 (74 minutes)

I don't know. Gordon started a lot when Booker and Beal missed games early on. He played without the big 3 and produced but has struggled to produce with them. Who knows. The splits are huge though. I mean look at his offensive rating drop to 97 as a reserve.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know. Gordon started a lot when Booker and Beal missed games early on. He played without the big 3 and produced but has struggled to produce with them. Who knows. The splits are huge though. I mean look at his offensive rating drop to 97 as a reserve.
I was just posting the stats of the best 5. He is part of two of our best 5 man lineups. Personally, I think he is essential for our bench. People think our bench isn't very good? It would be MUCH worse minus Gordon. Really hoping that adding Royce to the bench also helps out that 2nd unit overall.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was just posting the stats of the best 5. He is part of two of our best 5 man lineups. Personally, I think he is essential for our bench. People think our bench isn't very good? It would be MUCH worse minus Gordon. Really hoping that adding Royce to the bench also helps out that 2nd unit overall.

I get that. It's hard to decipher his splits to see what the issue is. Clearly he's more productive as a starter, which is imagine most players are, but he just falls off a cliff in terms of shooting efficiency when brought off the bench. Looking at this things a little differently though as far as his stats by month as well as wins vs losses and there isn't much difference there. He plays essentially the same in our wins as losses and he had a rough January but even that wasn't significantly worse like the starter/reserve splits.

Unlike some, I'm a fan and like you said he's a key piece of our bench. Most games he is our bench in terms of scoring.

Here's a look at his stats in wins/losses and by month...

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get that. It's hard to decipher his splits to see what the issue is. Clearly he's more productive as a starter, which is imagine most players are, but he just falls off a cliff in terms of shooting efficiency when brought off the bench. Looking at this things a little differently though as far as his stats by month as well as wins vs losses and there isn't much difference there. He plays essentially the same in our wins as losses and he had a rough January but even that wasn't significantly worse like the starter/reserve splits.

Unlike some, I'm a fan and like you said he's a key piece of our bench. Most games he is our bench in terms of scoring.

I will say he’s a vet and has playoff experience so he won’t be afraid to shoot and hit big shots! That can be big as you never know who’s gonna go cold or not hit shots when the pressure is on, he seems pretty unfazed and has been there before so he will let it fly!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He's a streak shooter, always has been. When he is on he is often white hot... and when he is off he's pretty bad.

The only thing that bugs me about his performance this year is that his defensive effort vanishes if he is cold on offense. Maybe it has been the same way his hole career, I have not attempted a deep dive, but seems like he's a bit of a front runner.

Still a solid 6th man but I think he needs a shorter hook when he is on the suck.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I will say he’s a vet and has playoff experience so he won’t be afraid to shoot and hit big shots! That can be big as you never know who’s gonna go cold or not hit shots when the pressure is on, he seems pretty unfazed and has been there before so he will let it fly!
I would’ve said this too before seeing him pass up wide open shots in crucial end game scenarios recently. They both resulted in much worse, rushed, contested shots by beal and KD. Both were inextricable.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
It's the same posters causing problems over and over again. There is no excuse for it. They taunt, insult and get away with it.
I misread this one. I thought you were talking about the Warriors. Baby face Steph, just crap person Green, and their possé.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I wished Eric Gordon was one of the players being sent out at the deadline, I'm so done with him. When he's not shooting well he's just such a liability. He plays defense only with his hands and barely moves his feet, he gives up defensively on any fast break situation and he's passed up 3s for a worse play multiple times in the clutch now. I'm hoping some combination of Royce or Okogie takes all his minutes.
He's fantastic when he hits the three or takes it to the hole, true, and the bench is weak, but we need people who play harder on defense and Eric is maybe not that guy? Too many guys are coasting on D and that just gives what we're all tired of seeing, uncontested drives, wide open shots, offensive boards, blargh.