Suns @ Grizzlies Friday game thread, 11-24-2023 - In-Season Tournament #4

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of this is how it works in Europe. The NBA pulled this out of their butt.

The announcers made some reference to point differential being used in Europe, but I didn't catch it all.

Perhaps they use it in another sport like soccer?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The announcers made some reference to point differential being used in Europe, but I didn't catch it all.

Perhaps they use it in another sport like soccer?

In Europe they have domestic cups that happen during the season that are single elimination, no group stage stuff.

They also have larger, Europe wide "League Cups" where the best teams from each country play each other... in that point differential can be a tie breaker but it is only within a group. It's a 4 team group, the top 2 from each group advance, they play each other twice, if teams are tied then point difference is a tie breaker, which is fair because all 4 teams played the same schedule.

Also, none of these European cups, either domestic or Europe wide, have any impact on the standings in their seasons. They're completely separate competitions.

The finals of these foreign cups also come at the end of the year.

The NBA had to do 5 team groups because there are 30 teams... they didn't have them play each other twice, probably because it would have chewed up too much of the schedule, they have to do this dumb tie breaker system because the tournament is so rushed they couldn't do a proper playoff. And the games count for both the season record and the tournament because the NBA couldn't add more games to the already brutally long schedule (European leagues play like 40 game seasons) and for some dopey reason the NBA decided to rush the whole thing and have it end 2 months after it starts.

The result is an incoherent mess.

I wasn't against the idea, but the execution has been horrible.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Once the NBA expands to 32 teams, the competition could actually make sense.

Do 8 groups with 4 teams, they play each other twice, top 2 advance. 16 team, single elimination playoff follows. Have NONE of this impact the league standings.

To make room on the schedule, cut it down to 72 games.

And get rid of these revolting courts.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, Nuggets certainly are not going to do me a solid tonight. They're getting thrashed.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Houston is blowing out Denver, BTW... although only late first half.

The Rockets have been surprisingly decent early this season. I think most predictions had them just about the worst team in the league. And Orlando has been equally surprising, just a hair behind the Celtics for best record in the East, after blowing out Boston today.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lindsey wins the pet contest. Okay, I'm a bit prejudiced towards both.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hard to see how we don't end up the Wild Card. The other teams in the running all play each other and have a ton of ground to make up on point differential.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to see how we don't end up the Wild Card. The other teams in the running all play each other and have a ton of ground to make up on point differential.

If it's any comfort, Booker cares about the Tournament.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
IMO, a point differential should never be a decider in a team advancing in the NBA In-Season Tournament. It doesn't make sense at this level. There must be a better decider.
I agree. It just makes it more likely a star gets hurt in meaningless minutes.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Houston just beat Denver by a big margin. They have one more game and if they beat Dallas by 19 or more, they'd overtake the suns.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Houston just beat Denver by a big margin. They have one more game and if they beat Dallas by 19 or more, they'd overtake the suns.

The only way the Suns don't go through is if Houston beats Dallas by 19+, in Dallas... seems unlikely

or if Minnesota beats Oklahoma by 38+, in OKC, seems extremely unlikely.

Also, if the Pelicans lose to the Clippers tonight then the Houston result won't matter to us. It will only be Minnesota needing to obliterate the Thunder.

The Warriors and Kings both have a chance to get through but they have to play each other and there is no math that allows both teams to finish ahead of us after that game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm reading Suns fans should be rooting for the Clippers.

Pda4976

Reaction score
The only way the Suns don't go through is if Houston beats Dallas by 19+, in Dallas... seems unlikely

or if Minnesota beats Oklahoma by 38+, in OKC, seems extremely unlikely.

Also, if the Pelicans lose to the Clippers tonight then the Houston result won't matter to us. It will only be Minnesota needing to obliterate the Thunder.

The Warriors and Kings both have a chance to get through but they have to play each other and there is no math that allows both teams to finish ahead of us after that game.
We also are going to get the Lakers because they are the top seed correct? That couldn't work out any better. If we have KD back we should take care of them and advance to Vegas.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Figuring out who advances is like a puzzle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nugs got blown out. Suns out??

The Suns are still in it.

As I understand it, the Suns would significantly benefit if the Clippers beat the Pelicans tonight.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns are still in it.

As I understand it, the Suns would significantly benefit if the Clippers beat the Pelicans tonight.

I honestly don't think it will matter. The odds of Houston beating Dallas by 19 on the road or the Wolves beating OKC by a million are very very slim.

I'd say we've got about... 98% odds to make it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see the big issue with point differential being a tie breaker considering there's 4 games in group 1. I suppose they could do regular season record as a tie breaker but that makes the tournament less inclusive.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Barring something drastic, the Suns will get the final spot for the IST.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson