The Official 2006-2007 I HATE THE LAKERS Thread & Proclamation

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I listen to a LOT of ESPN news and it seems as if these guys are all reading from the same cue card.

What are your thoughts on Kobe tossing out Shaq’s escapades to the press to take some pressure off of him? I think that was not a wise move.

Kobe was stupid to do that, but to be clear he didn't toss them out to the press. He mentioned that to the cops. The cops put that out to the press about 6 months later. BIG difference (although the cops talked to Shaq during the investigation, and this was the root of the Shaq/Kobe crap that year during training camp). Any route, it was stupid because what are the cops going to do? Say "Oh, Shaq pays women to keep them quiet about sex? Well go on home then, Kobe. " Still the dumbest thing Kobe did was talk to the cops without a lawyer the whole time.

But there has been zero love between Kobe and Shaq from day one and that came from Shaq to Kobe, not the other way around.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://markmadsen.com/blog/PermaLink,guid,49436353-ba49-4d60-8c62-61acc29ea421.aspx

Wow, in Mark's blog post there he destroys all your silly little arguments of bad teammate, tanking games by not shooting, blah blah blah.

But I guess we should all take Chris Sanders' word over Mark Madsen's, right? Since Chris and Kobe played together on Championship teams and all.

Give me a break.

More Straw Man arguements. I have never played with Kobe hence I can't form an opinion on him.

I watched him give up against the Suns. Flat give up. I saw him refuse to shoot an choke away a game. I have seen how he acts off the court. I have listened to his words about his teammates. I have seen the huge free agent list just racing to play with him.

I have watched him ball hog.

I have innumerous reason to detest him. It is a pity he is on your team.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since D-Dogg wants to pull up Mark Madsen, lets sample the coaches opinion on KoMe:

"Nobody this year, or in any year I've coach, has received more allowances than Kobe Bryant, " the former Los Angeles Lakers coach Jackson.

Jackson said the strain between him and Bryant led him to hire a therapist to consult with during the season, according to the Los Angeles Times, which printed excerpts from the magazine article in its Tuesday edition.

"I won't coach this team next year if he is still here. He won't listen to anyone. I've had it with this kid."

I can pull up some Shaq quotes or Karl Malone quotes if you like.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
But there has been zero love between Kobe and Shaq from day one and that came from Shaq to Kobe, not the other way around.

I think it was a combination of the two. Shaq wanted to start over with his new team and Kobe thought he was the next Jordan.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's really funny. Phil Jackson's book says that Kobe told Mitch "I don't want to be a sidekick anymore and Shaq being here will affect on if I resign"

But I guess we should all take D-Dogg's word over Phil Jackson's, right? Since D-Dogg and Kobe played together on Championship teams and all.

LMAO

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since D-Dogg wants to pull up Mark Madsen, lets sample the coaches opinion on KoMe:

I can pull up some Shaq quotes or Karl Malone quotes if you like.

Pull up some Malone quotes. Kobe and Malone got along fairly well until Kobe went over the top when Malone "hit on" Vanessa with his "hunting for little mexican girls" comment. But suprisingly they respected each other especially for their same work ethic. And Malone was set to return to the Shaqless Lakers partly because of Kobe...until he and Kobe and Vanessa had their little lovers triangle or whatever.

Shaq quotes mean absolutely nothing because he's a big lazy oaf who was immediately threatened by Kobe from day one. Read about it. It's in books. Real ones, not ones written by ESPN.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's really funny. Phil Jackson's book says that Kobe told Mitch "I don't want to be a sidekick anymore and Shaq being here will affect on if I resign"

But I guess we should all take D-Dogg's word over Phil Jackson's, right? Since D-Dogg and Kobe played together on Championship teams and all.

LMAO

Actions speak louder than words. Let me check again....who is the head coach of the Lakers again?

OH YEAH, that's right. Phil Jackson.

But if I wasn't clear, the zero love began with Shaq during Kobe's rookie season. Later on, Kobe became vocal with his hate for Shaq (and finally hit the wall with him in the most overdue rants in professional sports). Previously, it was all Shaq from DAY ONE, when Kobe was a rookie. Again, this is all in books. Hell, for not publicly bashing Shaq until he did, Kobe should be knighted.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry D-Dogg, but the Kobe/Malone thing is exactly what I am talking about. Kobe goes off the handle and:

"Misery loves company," Malone told USA Today in Tuesday's edition. "This is a Hollywood soap opera, and I'm not going to be a star in another Bryant soap opera."

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Actually, I don't believe that is correctly quoted (I have that book around here somewhere). The quote was more in line with Kobe being tired of Shaq's childish behavior and that would affect his decision. There was no "sidekick" verbiage.

Your version and the version I recall are two WILDLY different reasons, which change dramatically the perception of someone's motives. Of course you think it is the "selfish my team wanna hog it" mentality.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bryant told Jackson that O'Neal's presence on the team would affect his decision to stay with the Lakers, adding, "I'm tired of being a sidekick," Jackson wrote.

Here is the quote.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaq quotes mean absolutely nothing because he's a big lazy oaf who was immediately threatened by Kobe from day one.

Shaq's not threatened by a guy with fewer championship rings. :D

Kobe has had trouble getting along with many people and has isolated himself from teammates much of his career. You have to admit that.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got done reading the Doonsbury blog from the troops in Iraq.

Honestly right now you win. Kobe is the best thing ever. I can't debate stupid stuff like Kobe after reading stuff like that.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry D-Dogg, but the Kobe/Malone thing is exactly what I am talking about. Kobe goes off the handle and:

Yeah, and did you read that article? I still think Kobe went overboard with this issue, but Karl Malone was completely and totally out of line (especially on reflection here after re-reading all his comments). Hell, just have sex with Vanessa in the stands or whatever you want to do.

Yeah, Malone talks ish to Kobe after Kobe talks ish to him...wow, suprising. I guess you just let those comments go to your wife, huh? Is that the way you react to your SO? If your friends are hitting on here, do you giggle it off?

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Yeah, and did you read that article? I still think Kobe went overboard with this issue, but Karl Malone was completely and totally out of line (especially on reflection here after re-reading all his comments). Hell, just have sex with Vanessa in the stands or whatever you want to do.

Yeah, Malone talks ish to Kobe after Kobe talks ish to him...wow, suprising. I guess you just let those comments go to your wife, huh? Is that the way you react to your SO? If your friends are hitting on here, do you giggle it off?

Yeah, that's a bad example. If I was Kobe, I would have done the same thing. Karl is a creep. I'm not sure why you guys were happy to have him.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaq's not threatened by a guy with fewer championship rings. :D

Kobe has had trouble getting along with many people and has isolated himself from teammates much of his career. You have to admit that.

Yes he has isolated himself (some of the early isolation was more ostracization than anything, according to Lazenby). But yeah, he's a weird dude, a private dude. However, his current teammates are more his age range and they seem to get along better.

I still have this article in my bookmarks because it is the best damn thing I ever heard and long, long overdue especially given the early reception Kobe had from Shaq, and the multiple times Shaq tried to have Kobe traded:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1648431

Kobe's no saint by any stretch of the imagination, but he's no devil either.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a bad example. If I was Kobe, I would have done the same thing. Karl is a creep. I'm not sure why you guys were happy to have him.

It took me a bit to accept Karl on the team, but he's such a hard worker that he was good to have there. In fact, he was the engine of that team and when he went down, the team went down. I still feel we would have beaten Detroit with a healthy Karl Malone, but it was not to be.

I've hated Karl Malone all my life, and it was very hard to say, ok...let's go Karl.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Shaq would never have gotten those rings if it weren't for Kobe. Ask a little team called the San Antonio Spurs and Popovich which player consistently tore them apart in the WCFs.

Yet another flawed, but funny argument from the "we hate Kobe without any real reason to" camp.

Come on, Kobe will never win another ring again..... Shaq could have won with Kendall Gill at the 2. As much as Kobe thinks he's Jordan, he never will be

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
why would I hate something that has absolutely no significance to the run the title? They might as well be the Sacramento Kings for all I care. Just another Jason Kidd-like Susn team-pretender that no one is afraid of.

seriously - to hate the Lakers means you seem them as a threat - sorry, only Vic The Brick Jacobs and D-dogg and Luc Walton believe that to be the case.

Arnie Spaniar is the only radio guy willing to rip the Lakers. To hear him on my drive home from work taunting Laker fans is pure bliss - "oohhhhh, Laker fan."

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arnie Spaniar is the only radio guy willing to rip the Lakers. To hear him on my drive home from work taunting Laker fans is pure bliss - "oohhhhh, Laker fan."

arnie does that wherever he's on - he did the same thing whenhe was in Phoenix in '93 when we had the best record the league and all he talked about was how the Knicks would kill us.

the only guy with a brain, who's objective about the Lakers is Steve Hartman. Everyone hates him here because he's a local homer who won't (for good reason) give the Lakers the free pass everyone else does.

bko32

Registered
Reaction score
More Straw Man arguements. I have never played with Kobe hence I can't form an opinion on him.

I watched him give up against the Suns. Flat give up. I saw him refuse to shoot an choke away a game. I have seen how he acts off the court. I have listened to his words about his teammates. I have seen the huge free agent list just racing to play with him.

I have watched him ball hog.

I have innumerous reason to detest him. It is a pity he is on your team.

you can inform any opinion you want. you saw him give up against the suns, i saw him get double teamed aggressively and he passed to open teammates who missed shots. You've seen how he acts off the court? Really? Can you give me some of these examples of his off court antics, besides the Colorado incident? I've met Kobe, multiple times. I've conversated with Kobe, mulitple times. Not once has he come off as an arrogant jerk. Not once has he just ignored me when I tried to talk to him. do i jock kobe? yeah, i'll admit it, i do because, outside of the colorado incident, i think he's a good guy. i've listened to words about his teammates too, and sometimes he gets on them, and somtimes he says stuff to encourage them and help them out. i've also seen the huge list of free agents lined up to play with your MVP, oooohhh, marcus banks. plus signing free agents doesn't have much to do with the players on the teams. it's about how much a team can pay a player.

you have innumerous reasons to detest him, i have numerous reasons to like him. if your reasons are based upon experiences not related to watching ESPN or reading a newspaper, than great. but if all you now about kobe is what you hear in the media, than i feel for you because if you ever met him, you'd probably change your view of him, albeit just slightly.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"kobe bryant has a foundation and he is soooo hot and he gave his wife the biggest diamond ring. i know he didn't do it... maybe he did it."

jenna, I have no idea how my love for you and my hate for you always seem to be exactly equal. lol