Lakers @ Suns Friday game thread, 11-10-2023 - In-Season Tournament Game #1

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Clippers could be a very good team if they gel. The same could be said about the Suns.

I wasn't high on the addition of Harden.
Yeah, I don't know anyone that was truly high on the addition of Harden. Even today, he's still an exceptional talent but it's never been about team basketball for him and likely never will be. But if I were a Clippers fan, I'd ignore the history, cross my fingers and hope this is the time and place the leopard finally changed his spots.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Clippers certainly were
I doubt it. More like hopeful. There just aren't that many chances to land a superstar, even one as playoff undependable as Harden is so you cut the deck, draw a card and pray it's an ace. We've done something quite similar building our roster.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We don’t have a strong bench

And people here actually got mad at the national media saying that. We have good depth on the wings, which is where our top players also play, so the depth we have isn't as effective as it would be on other rosters.

Outside of the Big 3 and Nurk, Allen has been the best 5th starter and has been more important than anyone predicted. I think Vogel should shake things up. I'd like to see if Metu can help us. He can't really hurt more than, Okogie, Yuta or Little. KBD is coming around and I understand starting him allows us play a little bigger but he really needs to be more assertive on offense.

Okogie especially needs locked in the training center. I'm about done with him. His lack of offense is inexcusable. A few more games and then blame goes to Vogel. He's a liability that I'm fairly certain every team game plans to attack, allowing them to play 5 on 4 on defense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without Devin Booker, the best players in assists are Kevin Durant and Jusuf Nurkic.

Sloppy ball handling and a porous defense have been the Suns Achilles heel. I didn't expect either to be a major issue. The return of Devin Booker will cure a lot of ills, but the Suns shouldn't be dependent on having three stars available every game to win.

I expected a lot better defense from a Frank Vogel team.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Book coming back isn’t turning anyone into a dog on defense. You can’t trust them to get a big stop on D when it matters which reminds me of the D’Antoni teams. Something has to be off regarding our defensive efficiency b/c there’s no way we’ve only been the 12th worst defense so far.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
You completely missed the point.

I said Saban Lee is the best true point guard on the Suns roster.

That’s like saying Kendall Marshall would be the best PG on the team just cause he’s pass first. Booker is a creator but he’s always hurt.

And I gotta say, as well as KD is at scoring I’m a little underwhelmed by everything else.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And Wolves beat the Sperms at home. Something just isn’t right. I think teams are gunning extra on us since we are the favorites to win it all.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Wolves beat the Sperms at home. Something just isn’t right. I think teams are gunning extra on us since we are the favorites to win it all.
No one thinks we’re the favorites to win it all.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think we're viewed as the favorite to win it all, not even close. Even before the season it seemed like most of the "experts" were picking Denver, Boston, Milwaukee, Golden State and sometimes even LAL above us.

My opinion hasn't changed yet despite how poorly we've played in every game so far. I think we have an outside chance to win it all if we get and stay healthy. But even then, I don't see us becoming the favorite unless key opponents get injured.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns defense is their biggest weakness.

This is my greatest disappointment, since this is supposed to be Frank Vogel's strength as a head coach.

I was roasted a few games back for saying this about our defense. It’s pretty obvious what this team is now.

We also don’t have a table setter. We have no one to initiate the offense. Remember when we were the best clutch team in the history of the NBA? That was mostly because of Paul he could get his own shot and create an easy shot for someone else now it’s like nothing is easy for this team it’s just contested long jump shots

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was roasted a few games back for saying this about our defense. It’s pretty obvious what this team is now.

We also don’t have a table setter. We have no one to initiate the offense. Remember when we were the best clutch team in the history of the NBA? That was mostly because of Paul he could get his own shot and create an easy shot for someone else now it’s like nothing is easy for this team it’s just contested long jump shots

Yes, the defense has been disappointing. Whether the interior defense can be fixed remains a question mark. Opponents have been getting to the basket with ease.

The Suns will have to learn to distribute by committee. When Devin Booker returns, this will add another distributor, shot creator and shooter.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s like saying Kendall Marshall would be the best PG on the team just cause he’s pass first. Booker is a creator but he’s always hurt.

And I gotta say, as well as KD is at scoring I’m a little underwhelmed by everything else.

I think the Suns will be fine when they have a combination of distributors to run the team, especially when Booker returns. Right now, that approach isn't working too well to finish games.

I'm pointing out the Suns best true point guard is a two-way player and that is not a good situation.

The Suns should have at least one point guard on the standard roster that can stabilize the team when they become undone, like a TJ McConnell.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Magic are absolutely pasting the Bucks right now. Giannis' throw himself into the lane has resulted in very little calls.