Lakers @ Suns Friday game thread, 11-10-2023 - In-Season Tournament Game #1

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns will play their first game of the NBA In-Season Tournament (Western Conference Group A) at home against the Lakers on Friday.

Afterward, they play home games against the Thunder on Sunday and the Timberwolves on Wednesday. These are not tournament games.

The Suns next In-Season Tournament game will be on Friday at the Jazz.

They will minimally play four tournament games. The other two tournament games are against the Trail Blazers and Grizzlies.

When: Friday, 11-10-2023

Television: Suns Live, Arizona's Family 3TV / Arizona's Family Sports, ESPN

Radio: KMVP 98.7 / S: KSUN

Time: 8 PM Arizona time

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The only thing about the tourney that I like is the new uniforms they are going to wear. I love the El Valle stuff. Not sure about the court but the uniforms are fire.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is how the NBA In-Season Tournament works per NBA.com.

Below is a snippet.

Last month, the Suns were randomly selected into Western Conference Group A, one of three five-team groups in each conference. After hosting the Lakers in their first Group Play game on Nov. 10 on ESPN, the Suns will play their next Group Play contest at Utah on Friday, Nov. 17 on ESPN. Also in Group Play, the Suns will host the Trail Blazers on Tuesday, Nov. 21 and play at Memphis on Friday, Nov. 24.

https://www.nba.com/suns/news/phoenix-suns-announce-inaugural-nba-in-season-tournament-schedule

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
This is how the NBA In-Season Tournament works per NBA.com.

Below is a snippet.

Last month, the Suns were randomly selected into Western Conference Group A, one of three five-team groups in each conference. After hosting the Lakers in their first Group Play game on Nov. 10 on ESPN, the Suns will play their next Group Play contest at Utah on Friday, Nov. 17 on ESPN. Also in Group Play, the Suns will host the Trail Blazers on Tuesday, Nov. 21 and play at Memphis on Friday, Nov. 24.

https://www.nba.com/suns/news/phoenix-suns-announce-inaugural-nba-in-season-tournament-schedule
Well, in theory, we should have a pretty easy route to advance. Aside from the Lakers, those are all pretty terrible teams.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, in theory, we should have a pretty easy route to advance. Aside from the Lakers, those are all pretty terrible teams.

I'd feel better if the Suns hadn't already lost to the Spurs (3-5) twice and the (3-5) Lakers.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'd feel better if the Suns hadn't already lost to the Spurs (3-5) twice and the (3-5) Lakers.
To be fair they were in complete control of 2 of those 3 games and had a chance in the other. Doubt they blow another double digit 4th quarter lead this time around.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair they were in complete control of 2 of those 3 games and had a chance in the other. Doubt they blow another double digit 4th quarter lead this time around.

Losing close games doesn't make me feel better and a loss is a loss.

I do think the Suns have the makings of a contender but depth at power forward/ center concerns me.

Hopefully the Suns improve turning the ball over when Booker returns.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Losing close games doesn't make me feel better and a loss is a loss.

I do think the Suns have the makings of a contender but depth at power forward/ center concerns me.

Hopefully the Suns improve turning the ball over when Booker returns.
I think the turnover issues are just as much if not more tied to the guys figuring each other out as it is our ball handling.

The turnovers have been spread throughout the lineup and not just the primary ball handlers. That tells me it's more of a chemistry issue.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What happens if you win the tournament?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They literally almost blew a second half 12 point lead of a game they were in control of… last night. And we’re just awful offensively when the Bulls were able to force OT, not hitting a FG in the last 4:45.

At this early point of the season, bad fourth Quarter play down the stretch is the norm, not the exception.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In theory, if we get everyone healthy, we're going to be a pretty good, maybe great team. In reality though, we've been among the weaker squads so far.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
They literally almost blew a second half 12 point lead of a game they were in control of… last night. And we’re just awful offensively when the Bulls were able to force OT, not hitting a FG in the last 4:45.

At this early point of the season, bad fourth Quarter play down the stretch is the norm, not the exception.
The Lakers game was the most egregious IMO as they scored a grand total of 3 points in the first 10 minutes of the 4th quarter. Even a mediocre quarter would have led to a comfortable win.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers game was the most egregious IMO as they scored a grand total of 3 points in the first 10 minutes of the 4th quarter. Even a mediocre quarter would have led to a comfortable win.
at least there it was a road game against LeBron James and a still healthy AD. The Spurs meltdown saw a 13 point 4th quarter lead disappear at home, against an atrocious team who's only beaten the Rockets outside of us, while already losing 3 games by 22, 40 and 40 in this short season.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
at least there it was a road game against LeBron James and a still healthy AD. The Spurs meltdown saw a 13 point 4th quarter lead disappear at home, against an atrocious team who's only beaten the Rockets outside of us, while already losing 3 games by 22, 40 and 40 in this short season.
Let off the gas against the Spurs, got clamped by the Lakers.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker is listed as OUT for the Lakers game.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Playing it safe with Book or it’s worse than we really want to know….

They shouldn't screw around with a calf strain. Booker should not sniff the court until there is absolutely zero sign of his injury for a few days. Those big leg muscles re-injure easily, as Booker can attest having repeatedly had groin and hammy strains.

Selfishly, I do hope he is back on Sunday, I have tickets and it would be cool to see the first "big 3" game... and they will need the big 3, as OKC looks formidable this year.