Jurecki: Keim stays as GM for 2019 season (old thread)

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we can do worse but IMO if this guy flops the draft again he needs to go. The reason why this team is crap right now is because this guy can't draft.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I would be fine with Keim getting axed but one simple question, with who? Name one of these personnel guys you feel would be an upgrade.
Should’ve have fired Keim & replaced him either Manning or Will McClay. McClay is the guy who has built the Cowpies for the last 3-4 years not Jerry Jones.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The entire roster does IMO. We aren't going to be a Super Bowl contender, but we have enough pieces to compete with the Wild Card teams.

I think that's a bit optimistic

the defense can be good quickly. I think a solid second CB REALLY allows a defense to do interesting things as you noted above.

the offense...… that o-line. Big questions this offseason. Humphries is on the books for 1 year, $9.5mm. Can he play a year? You have Pugh just based on contract, so pencil him in and hope for the best.
Korey Cunningham has earned a chance to be in the mix too.
My fear is that Keim is emotionally invested in these players and just desperately wants to prove they work.

Cole is back at center with Shipley around for depth. I think you need a starting guard and tackle

Interesting that the best the TE position looked all year was ? Phillips making nice catches over the middle. Rickey Seals Jones should be the 3rd TE on this team with two solid starters who aren't on the roster right now.

Finally -- WR is also a tough one. Kirk has potential. I think you need someone who can scare deep and someone with size --- and this assumes Fitz comes back.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

the defense can be good quickly. I think a solid second CB REALLY allows a defense to do interesting things as you noted above.

the offense...… that o-line. Big questions this offseason. Humphries is on the books for 1 year, $9.5mm. Can he play a year? You have Pugh just based on contract, so pencil him in and hope for the best.
My fear is that Keim is emotionally invested in these players and just desperately wants to prove they work.

Cole is back at center with Shipley around for depth. I think you need a starting guard and tackle

Interesting that the best the TE position looked all year was ? Phillips making nice catches over the middle. Rickey Seals Jones should be the 3rd TE on this team with two solid starters who aren't on the roster right now.

Finally -- WR is also a tough one. Kirk has potential. I think you need someone who can scare deep and someone with size --- and this assumes Fitz comes back.
With a flawed coach, no o-line, and a rookie QB, it took a Wild Card team a last second FG to beat us at their house.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
With a flawed coach, no o-line, and a rookie QB, it took a Wild Card team a last second FG to beat us at their house.

And the Bears who won their division only beat us by 2. The team is not far off from being competitive, a couple of solid additions & a good draft but most importantly a good coaching staff.

This was a 6-7 win team that only managed 3 wins, a jump from 3 wins to 8 wins next year is not out of the question.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

you aren't getting two blocked punts, and a 45 yard punt return every game

I tend to agree with Choppers broader point: I don't think this is a Cleveland Brown 2016 kinda roster -- its closer than the 3-13 record suggest. But I also think there are some serious deficiencies in minimum three position groups that need to be addressed

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And our house too

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's a positive and a negative to retaining him.

Positive: Was there a better option out there to replace him with now? Most likely not, but maybe Ozzie Newsome looks to get back into a GM position after next year after taking a reduced role to stay in BAL.

Negative: If ARZ finishes below .500 next year, then Keim has to go but the problem is that there will be a new coaching regime next year and if Keim is axed then the staff has to go too and that means a fourth OC for Rosen and yet another new system to learn.

I think Keim goes after McCarthy as he is probably the most established and decorated offensive coach on the market this year. It will be interesting what the new DC does, stay at 4-3 or return to 3-4? Whatever the scheme, Keim needs to get the right players to fit the new scheme instead of hoping guys can transition into those roles. He has plenty of cap room to bring in guys, hopefully he is not looking for basement bargain guys who come cheap either because they are always injured or over the hill. The holes on the team are obvious, (LB's, OL, WR & #2 CB), not sufficiently addressing these areas is going to seal his fate next year.

One thing is for sure, if we don't finish above .500 next year because of a busted draft and FA, Keim has to go, no more chances. Especially if he hires a proven coach and an upgraded coaching staff.

So we were just 3-13 & probably should have been 0-16. We were that bad. So 1 year later, you think the Cardinals have to be 9-7 in order for Keim to keep his job?? That may be a little harsh, don't you think? If we did pull that off, Keim may be in line for his 3rd Executive of the Year Award. Could we do that? Yes, in today's NFL, it could be done. But, I seriously doubt that 7-9 or 8-8 would get Keim fired. Again, it'll depend on how competitive we are too.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

And with $60+m in CAP space and top of the draft in each round these are not impossible 'gets'.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

A second CB is overrated, especially when you play a S vs the slot. If you play against a team with two good WRs, you are going to double one side anyways. If not, you can always shade coverage to help.

The offensive line has enough pieces to be ok. Iupati wore down fast and you have to replace him with a viable player. You have two startable C's. Yes, Pugh will be out there and wasn't terrible. We have equitable talent on our line as Indy does on theirs minus Quenton Nelson. But they help their line with a smart, well executed offense. We don't.

Here is the formula to compete in the NFL. You need a decent offensive scheme. You need a QB who can execute that scheme. You need a league average offensive line. You need a pass rush / secondary combo to put pressure on the opposing QB. We have a lot of parts to that recipe.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
you aren't getting two blocked punts, and a 45 yard punt return every game

I tend to agree with Choppers broader point: I don't think this is a Cleveland Brown 2016 kinda roster -- its closer than the 3-13 record suggest. But I also think there are some serious deficiencies in minimum three position groups that need to be addressed
Meh. We are only really deficient at WR and LB. The rest are little things.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So we were just 3-13 & probably should have been 0-16. We were that bad. So 1 year later, you think the Cardinals have to be 9-7 in order for Keim to keep his job?? That may be a little harsh, don't you think? If we did pull that off, Keim may be in line for his 3rd Executive of the Year Award. Could we do that? Yes, in today's NFL, it could be done. But, I seriously doubt that 7-9 or 8-8 would get Keim fired. Again, it'll depend on how competitive we are too.
Keim will stay or go with the new coach.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Keim will stay or go with the new coach.
New head coach gets personnel power too. Keim "moves on" in 2020. A super soft way to take care of your favorite employee who gave 20 years to you with unwavering loyalty.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Depending on a lot of injured players coming back and being effective on the oline.
Agree re WR and LB and the caveat about the OL.

But it's more than just roster-weakness that holds us back.

- Low catch percentages among our TE's.

- Overthrows, bad decisions and poor ball security by our QB

- Poor tackling by defenders.

- Blown coverages.

In short: Mediocre execution (regardless of talent) throughout the roster (Ever wonder what would happen if Belichick DB's blew coverages like our guys did in Seattle)? All fingers point to coaching deficiencies more than they do talent evaluation

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
The sad thing is neither Kliff and/or Keim will be fired now after Kylers ACL tear! Not a chance! It’s a built in excuse for Michael to keep the same ol, same ol

Ugh

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The sad thing is neither Kliff and/or Keim will be fired now after Kylers ACL tear! Not a chance! It’s a built in excuse for Michael to keep the same ol, same ol

Ugh
We better hope not or that stadium will be empty all next season. Bidwill is an awful owner, but hopefully he understands how that will affect his pocketbook.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson