The Next Step For Murray

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The upcoming game might be the most interesting one in quite a while aside from Murray’s first start. It’s all about Murray at this point. People are fond these days about talking about inflection points. Most of those are overstatements, but this may actually be one. Articles about Murray’s improved maturity have popped up after only one game. I apologize I can’t recall who posted it, but there was an excellent video of a tipped pass saving Murray from another interception in last week’s game. That game was tenuous. The Cards won by the slimmest of margins. They were partly fortunate.

So here it is. I don’t foresee a lateral game. It’s like a bicycle; they’re either going forward or falling over. Hopefully Murray makes it’s clear he’s moved forward. If he reverts to the “old” Murray, the rebuild will suffer a serious setback. I can’t even guess which way it will go, but at 76 I’m hopeful they don’t take too long to rebuild. I’d love to see the Cards rise up and take out the Texans, but I’ll settle for the team just playing respectably, especially the O-line.

They were atrocious in the Cleveland game. Humphries may have been compromised by injury. Beachum played better last week against lesser competition, so there’s hope. The problem is LG. Both Humphries and Froholdt have been struggling to cover up that void. That’s why I believe a superior guard in FA could change everything. There is historical precedent. In the meantime they need to tighten the line.

Anyway, if Murray can just show incremental growth, the off-season could markedly improve this team. He needs to be the player he’s capable of becoming.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Main thing for Murray is being more consistent as a passer.

The majority of his "magic" comes from his athleticism and running. He had a nice spell through the first half of 2021 where he looked like he'd made it and pretty much fell off since.

This is sad, but I want to see him do what Stroud has been doing recently. Dominate through the air. Make the tough throws. Win the game with a 350 yard performance and 3 passing TDs. I want to feel like he's in total control.

Kyler had 5 300+ yard games as a rookie in 2019 and has had 8 since.

Last edited:

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One small step for Murray, a giant leap for Cardinals diehards.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murray was zero for six on successful third-down passes last week. Major situation where he needs to improve, and something I’ll be watching.

To be fair many of those were 3rd and long to Very Long.

3rd and 9
3rd and 9
3rd and 25
3rd and 4 (bomb to Brown just off his fingertips in the Endzone)
3rd and 30
3rd and 9 (sack)

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
sure it was a tenuous win but this is one of the worst rosters in the NFL. Sunday vs the Texans is not an inflection point.

I cannot believe we are in year 5 of Kyler, into his 2nd contract, and half this board cannot accept that the is an NFL franchise QB that you build around.

Why are we subjected to reading this? Can we move on and live in reality?

I've said it from game 1 of his NFL career against the lions. I walked out of State Farm that Sunday knowing Kyler was our QB for the next 10-15 years.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Kyler was top 10 in QBR last week. maybe 11 idk.

What are we doing here.
He was 15th in DVOA. The Falcons aren’t good and he was at home.

Kyler is the prohibitive favorite to remain the Cards’ franchise QB, but the only real explanation for Monti’s behavior this offseason is to create flexibility to move on from him in 2024 if needed. I’d say there’s an 80% chance he’s QB in 2024, but that’s lower than you’d like for a QB who was extended 15 months ago.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He was 15th in DVOA. The Falcons aren’t good and he was at home.

Kyler is the prohibitive favorite to remain the Cards’ franchise QB, but the only real explanation for Monti’s behavior this offseason is to create flexibility to move on from him in 2024 if needed. I’d say there’s an 80% chance he’s QB in 2024, but that’s lower than you’d like for a QB who was extended 15 months ago.
Eh I'd say he's only 80% favorite if he is real up and down. Monti made those moves back in the spring when they 1) didn't know Murray that well 2) didn't know how Murray would recover. You can call it spin if you like, but the Cardinals leadership seems to legitimately like and believe in Kyler.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Eh I'd say he's only 80% favorite if he is real up and down. Monti made those moves back in the spring when they 1) didn't know Murray that well 2) didn't know how Murray would recover. You can call it spin if you like, but the Cardinals leadership seems to legitimately like and believe in Kyler.
Jonathan Gannon to Josh Dobbs: we’re not trading you.

Josh Dobbs the same day: Traded to Minneapolis.

Forgive me if I don’t put a ton of stock in the words of the Cards leadership for a while.

Odds may be higher, but there are a lot of things Kyler can show during a big loss or an extended losing streak that can sour the front office, especially if Drake Maye is RIGHT THERE.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyler was top 10 in QBR last week. maybe 11 idk.

What are we doing here.

QBR favours running QB's, but also making top 10 in QBR at the moment is easy. Dobbs has been top 10 the last few weeks.

Over a 3rd of the league are rookie starters. There's another 3rd with trash at QB. Ridder/Heinecke, Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Pickett, Minshew, Howell, Love, Dobbs etc

There's about 10 QB's in the league at the moment worth a crap and one of them just went out for the year.

You have to be bad not to make top 10 in QBR.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This offense has changed with Murray’s return.
Is it designed to play to his strengths or it designed to limit his deficiencies?

The comment Murray made last week, “ultimately I’m going to do what I do” made me pause.

Look I’ve never been a coach. My “knowledge “ is limited to what I see and what I’ve seen.

Please feel free to correct me and enlighten me. This is what I see.
1. Kyler seems jittery. Too many times his feet are pitty patting and not set to throw on time.
2. Kyler seems to wait for a receiver to come open rather than throwing them open which leads to contested catches.
3. It’s appears obvious Kyler does not like being under center and it appears this staff is going to accommodate.
4. Too often it appears to me he is throwing to the wrong receiver.
5. Kyler is an exceptional athlete. His mobility and athleticism often overrides and makes up for his shortcomings.
6. If my observations are more right than wrong, well it’s hard to win going 3 steps forward and two steps back.
7. (Edit) It appears he is throwing off his back foot way too often.

I know some of you are going to blast me, but quite honestly after 60 years or so of watching this game I’m sincerely looking to learn about the nuances of this stupid game.

Last edited:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This offense has changed with Murray’s return.
Is it designed to play to his strengths or it designed to limit his deficiencies?

The comment Murray made last week, “ultimately I’m going to do what I do” made me pause.

Look I’ve never been a coach. My “knowledge “ is limited to what I see and what I’ve seen.

Please feel free to correct me and enlighten me. This is what I see.
1. Kyler seems jittery. Too many times his feet are pitty patting.
2. Kyler seems to wait for a receiver to come open rather than throwing him open which leads to contested catches.
3. It’s appears obvious Kyler does not like being under center and it appears this staff is going to accommodate.
4. Too often it appears to me he is throwing to the wrong receiver.
5. Kyler is an exceptional athlete. His mobility and athleticism often overrides and makes up for his shortcomings.
6. If my observations are more right than wrong, well it’s hard to win going 3 steps forward and two steps back.

I know some of you are going to blast me, but quite honestly after 60 years or so of watching this game I’m sincerely looking to learn about the nuances of this stupid game.
Hmm. I actually didnt have a problem with the play calling. I mean yea in terms of trying to win we should have thrown more and put Kyler under center. However, I actually thought the play calling was fine. Just needed better execution. There were plays to be made to make this offense more explosive.

I actually think Kyler has played well when under center. I think Kyler still has some timing issues. Just like he trusted McBride last week to sit in the zone and it turned into an interception. So thats going to take some time.

The issue is the same as its been for years. Dobbs had the height advantage to make the quick underneath throws over the middle. Kyler has trouble making those throws when the pocket is muddy.

I actually see Kyler trying to work and manipulate the pocket more. However, in terms of handling pressure its something that hasnt been fixed in 5 years. Our interior gets attacked more when Kyler is at QB. We havent done a good job of installing a strong interior Oline. It doesnt help to have a weak interior AND small Wrs on the ouside.

A lot of this is from how poor keim managed the roster over the years. And I do think Monti wasnt about to make it easier for Kyler. He wanted to see if Kyler can make it easier for the rest of the team. So far mixed results.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
QBR favours running QB's, but also making top 10 in QBR at the moment is easy. Dobbs has been top 10 the last few weeks.

Over a 3rd of the league are rookie starters. There's another 3rd with trash at QB. Ridder/Heinecke, Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Pickett, Minshew, Howell, Love, Dobbs etc

There's about 10 QB's in the league at the moment worth a crap and one of them just went out for the year.

You have to be bad not to make top 10 in QBR.
QB has one of the highest churn rates for any position. Look at the Cardinals moving off Rosen so quickly. If you don't have a QB, you dont have a team.

just like you said, there are about 10 QBs in this league that are worth building around. Everyone else is searching for their QB.

Is Kyler Tom Brady? no. but he's also a franchise QB.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some are hoping Kyler is the real deal and are hanging on. I think he who's who he is and they should draft a QB. He's not going to win you big games or beat a top opponent. Not going to happen.
If there was a sure fire QB in this draft, I think I’d be just about ready to officially jump off the Kyler express, but I’m not sure about Caleb/Maye.

Last week was promising, but this week looked a lot like last year. Willing to wait and see what he does the rest of the season before making up my mind.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If there was a sure fire QB in this draft, I think I’d be just about ready to officially jump off the Kyler express, but I’m not sure about Caleb/Maye.

Last week was promising, but this week looked a lot like last year. Willing to wait and see what he does the rest of the season before making up my mind.
Co-sign

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

People really need to calm down and wait and give him time in a real system. 2 games and the stupid Kyler bashing starts lol. Yes he should be perfect already after 2 games… The first TD bomb today was ridiculous when he had a second in the pocket to set his feet. Then when things don’t go perfect people just waiting to jump on him it’s crazy imo. Blah blah your just a Kyler defender they say… Kid deserves some freaking time under a real coaching staff, worked hard to come back to a losing ass team. If he was a quitter could have dogged it and said no reason to push to come back and collect his checks! Instead he busts his ass and rehabs and is out there putting on the line for a 2-9 team, isn’t that what a leader does? Probably should wait until the end of the season to see how this progresses before even considering a QB change. Again to me he is way way down in the list of the problems on this team!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
QB has one of the highest churn rates for any position. Look at the Cardinals moving off Rosen so quickly. If you don't have a QB, you dont have a team.

just like you said, there are about 10 QBs in this league that are worth building around. Everyone else is searching for their QB.

Is Kyler Tom Brady? no. but he's also a franchise QB.
Very, very much remains to be seen. This week it very much wasn't seen. Last week was encouraging; this week was not. He doesn't have much longer to audition.