The Next Step For Murray

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
People really need to calm down and wait and give him time in a real system. 2 games and the stupid Kyler bashing starts lol. Yes he should be perfect already after 2 games… The first TD bomb today was ridiculous when he had a second in the pocket to set his feet. Then when things don’t go perfect people just waiting to jump on him it’s crazy imo. Blah blah your just a Kyler defender they say… Kid deserves some freaking time under a real coaching staff, worked hard to come back to a losing ass team. If he was a quitter could have dogged it and said no reason to push to come back and collect his checks! Instead he busts his ass and rehabs and is out there putting on the line for a 2-9 team, isn’t that what a leader does? Probably should wait until the end of the season to see how this progresses before even considering a QB change. Again to me he is way way down in the list of the problems on this team!
The bias is real. He had a play where everything was perfect and he threw an egregious interception. 100 percent on Kyler. He had a bad game today. He had a decent game last week. We need to see him do better the rest of the way.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Good news is we have 6 more games to evaluate.

At best - Kyler is our franchise QB
At worst - he is playing well enough to get at least a #1 pick in trade

Why would someone trade for Kyler? Think about teams that just need a QB to be playoff contenders.
Teams will overpay for that.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People really need to calm down and wait and give him time in a real system. 2 games and the stupid Kyler bashing starts lol. Yes he should be perfect already after 2 games… The first TD bomb today was ridiculous when he had a second in the pocket to set his feet. Then when things don’t go perfect people just waiting to jump on him it’s crazy imo. Blah blah your just a Kyler defender they say… Kid deserves some freaking time under a real coaching staff, worked hard to come back to a losing ass team. If he was a quitter could have dogged it and said no reason to push to come back and collect his checks! Instead he busts his ass and rehabs and is out there putting on the line for a 2-9 team, isn’t that what a leader does? Probably should wait until the end of the season to see how this progresses before even considering a QB change. Again to me he is way way down in the list of the problems on this team!
I think the narrative here is he is going to have 6 more games to establish exactly what he is.
The problem some of us may be having is there are certain things that seem to be eerily the same as the past.
Get ready because he is going to be judge harshly over the next 6 weeks. Nobody is hoping he fails.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
This offense has changed with Murray’s return.
Is it designed to play to his strengths or it designed to limit his deficiencies?

The comment Murray made last week, “ultimately I’m going to do what I do” made me pause.

Look I’ve never been a coach. My “knowledge “ is limited to what I see and what I’ve seen.

Please feel free to correct me and enlighten me. This is what I see.
1. Kyler seems jittery. Too many times his feet are pitty patting and not set to throw on time.
2. Kyler seems to wait for a receiver to come open rather than throwing them open which leads to contested catches.
3. It’s appears obvious Kyler does not like being under center and it appears this staff is going to accommodate.
4. Too often it appears to me he is throwing to the wrong receiver.
5. Kyler is an exceptional athlete. His mobility and athleticism often overrides and makes up for his shortcomings.
6. If my observations are more right than wrong, well it’s hard to win going 3 steps forward and two steps back.
7. (Edit) It appears he is throwing off his back foot way too often.

I know some of you are going to blast me, but quite honestly after 60 years or so of watching this game I’m sincerely looking to learn about the nuances of this stupid game.
You weren't the only one who had this pause.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Real DHop in winter 2023 vibes from this assuption.

This is drafting off an assertion that @Krangodnzr made in the positive news thread, but I think it's worth saying that Kyler and his contract isn't as easy to move as many expect.

Yes, Monti has positioned us to eat the potential $46.2 million in dead money and still field a football team.

But the team acquiring him takes on a $37 million guaranteed salary in 2024 and an additional $30 million in guaranteed 2025 salary and roster bonus. There are only a handful of teams who both have that kind of cap availability and a QB need -- and a first-round pick low enough to make sense.

Titans, Commies, Raiders, Falcons, and maybe Bucs.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good news is we have 6 more games to evaluate.

At best - Kyler is our franchise QB

Why would someone trade for Kyler? Think about teams that just need a QB to be playoff contenders.
Teams will overpay for that.

:hacker::beer::hacker::beer::hacker::doi:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Comparing a 30 year old WR who hasn't had a 1k yard season since 2020 vs a 26 year old who plays the most important position in football?

I would add the Vikings to that list (Cousins is making what...$35M this year)?

Teams find a way to get around the cap anyway.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is drafting off an assertion that @Krangodnzr made in the positive news thread, but I think it's worth saying that Kyler and his contract isn't as easy to move as many expect.

Yes, Monti has positioned us to eat the potential $46.2 million in dead money and still field a football team.

But the team acquiring him takes on a $37 million guaranteed salary in 2024 and an additional $30 million in guaranteed 2025 salary and roster bonus. There are only a handful of teams who both have that kind of cap availability and a QB need -- and a first-round pick low enough to make sense.

If you do the trade it is probably for a future first.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Comparing a 30 year old WR who hasn't had a 1k yard season since 2020 vs a 26 year old who plays the most important position in football?

I would add the Vikings to that list (Cousins is making what...$35M this year)?

Teams find a way to get around the cap anyway.

If the core assumption is that you're going to get a 1st round pick for a quarterback you're dying to unload, yeah, I think it's worth challenging. People are just extremely blithe in that assumption.

The Vikes only have $38 million in effective cap space in 2024. Maybe.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great rant. Maybe you totally missed or you my last BLATANT OBVIOUS comment where I clearly said “Willing to wait and see what he does the rest of the season before making up my mind.”

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Statistically, this week K1 was better from both a passing and rushing perspective than vs. ATL.

I'm not saying I'm thrilled with his performance and I think he has to be better.

I'm just saying statistically and production-wise he's trending upward.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i would love to see if Kylers footwork on long balls has changed from 2021

he has never been technically sound -- but even with that his accuracy had been top notch

im curious if a bad habit has crept into his set up

im also curious if its been pointed out and its a work in progress -- like trying to fix a golf swing mid-round

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If there was a sure fire QB in this draft, I think I’d be just about ready to officially jump off the Kyler express, but I’m not sure about Caleb/Maye.

Last week was promising, but this week looked a lot like last year. Willing to wait and see what he does the rest of the season before making up my mind.
I am sure about Maye. He will be good.

I am sure about Caleb. He is going to struggle.

I am not sure about Kyler but he has several games left to convince me.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Cool. If you think Kyler Murray 2023 is on the same level as Russell Wilson 2021 then more power to you. Russ also only had two years left on his deal without a ton of guarantees with him.

Same level would be 2 first round picks, 2 second round picks, etc. Nope - not what I said at all. The point was "everyone knew they were trying to unload him", which was your statement.
Let me clarify - Kyler would get at least a first round pick.

And then they signed Wilson to a 5 year extension with a ton of guarantees.