Everything wrong with Kyler vs Seattle Part II - Revenge of the checkdown

urs

All Star
Reaction score
On 4th and long with pressure coming and the clock running out you don't think the first read should be your WR1 running a quick out to the sideline to stop the clock and get a new set of downs? Please enlighten me as to what you think should be the first read.

Nuk is running the shortest route, he's the best WR, it's 4th down. You think he should be waiting on a long downfield throw with pressure coming?
That's not how any of this works. Once again you don't understand the speed in the NFL. Let's say Kyler goes to Hop there, problem is the defender didn't drop probably as much as they wanted so it's almost certainly a pick. The defense knew exactly the route Hop was going to run and the defender is in position to cut inside and pick the ball, most likely a pick 6

urs

All Star
Reaction score
He definitely started down Ertz here, then again there was probably no play to Hop. Across the field out with Beachum getting steamrolled straight into him right in the throwing window and when getting set from his drop. Extremely high risk throw to Hopkins there. Conner was probably the safe play.

This offense misses a deep threat out of the slot badly by the way. Who's filling the Kirk role this year? That was Kyler's deep route safety valve last 3 seasons.
That "SHOULD" be Moore, but Kliff is too busy dancing him behind the LOS

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure. Your second example where you say pause at 5 seconds and list everyone that is open. That is good coverage and these players aren’t wide open. What you don’t recognize is the closing speed in an NFL secondary.

This?

I mean yeah secondaries are quick, but they can't teleport.

Who's getting to Nuk? The linebacker on his heels moving to his right in the half second it would take for the ball to arrive?

How's the safety getting to the ball thrown to Rondale? Rondale would be between the ball and the safety. At worst it draws PI. It's not an easy pass to Rondale for sure but then it should have been to Nuk by now.

If Kyler can't hit these routes that they practice all week why do we run them?

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure an out from the opposite hash as read 1 on 4th and short never happens.

Then you would be wrong.

He's staring down Rondale on a well covered 20 yard comeback on 4th down with the pass rush pinning it's ears back.

I know what isn't first read on 4th and long and that's a play that takes 4 seconds to develop and is already well covered.

Nuk should be the first read and that's on Kyler.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In fairness to Brit, he's assuming that the ball warps from the QB's hand directly to the receivers, so therefore "Open" makes sense. Unfortunately, here in the real world, that's not how passes work.

Are you Kyler's Dad? It would explain why you're such a homer and how you don't understand football.

"Kyler's dad is a QB coach" is one of the funniest jokes I've ever heard.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This?

Who's getting to Nuk? The linebacker on his heels moving to his right in the half second it would take for the ball to arrive?

How's the safety getting to the ball thrown to Rondale? Rondale would be between the ball and the safety. At worst it draws PI. It's not an easy pass to Rondale for sure but then it should have been to Nuk by now.

These players are moving and closing as you watch this. It is no wonder you believe everyone is open. He will get a short completion here with the defender arriving when the ball does. You do realize the ball isn’t in the air at this point.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is true. As of now Rondale is either a screen guy or a hitch guy. Kyler doesnt trust he can get it to him like Kirk over the middle and he's not a pure enough route runner yet to take the top off a defense.

Maybe Hollywood can, but he was more an outside guy imo. Either way we still need more from the QB.

Is "We don't have a deep route runner from the slot" a new one to add to the list of excuses?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team has major issues, and to even think Murray is the main culprit is ridiculous. We have penalties galore (12 last game), we have absolute trash in the trenches on BOTH sides of the ball, we have zero running game (Murray is our leading rusher for the season), and our coaching cannot teach even fundamental situational complementary football. Look around the NFL right now. Offenses are mostly struggling right now. Allen may have a serious elbow (nerve issue) injury. In the last 7 quarters, he has 4 picks & zero touchdowns. Rodgers looks like he’s never played before, and his last game was against the statistically worst D in the NFL. Herbert is missing key players & looked very pedestrian against the worst pass D in the NFL. Even Mahomes had 8 straight series against TN without producing a point. But, his D kept him in the game against an offense with no ability to throw the ball. The NFL won’t tolerate this, so don’t be surprised if the rules get tweaked again in the offseason to further favor the O. Eventually, defenses will be forced to wear blindfolders. Can Murray play better? Absolutely. He definitely needs to stop fumbling the damn ball after GREAT runs. But since Hop’s return, he has 6 touchdowns, 2 picks, and a passer rating over 100. We‘re just NOT a good football team.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Kyler is interior Oline dependent. And in college benefitted from wide splits on the Oline.

If anything thats something he's gotta anticipate or manipulate. Of course thats dependent on his trusting the Oline as well.

That would be a terrible throw with safety having his eyes on Kyler leading him him there for 30+ yards. However, that requires protection and Kyler being savvy enough to pump one way

I dont agree with Brit's screen shot analysis. I know some coaches who would laugh at it. However, I do think Kyler can do somethings to help generate open throwing lanes without DBs staring the play down.
You're right there, his anticipation is the biggest problem I am seeing. But again that comes with coaching, study, and experience.

Kliff-Kyler ain't working right now
This?

Lol, hitting Rondale means a throw right about here ~ 30 yards in the air over a DB/LB with two safeties lurking one if which has a much better angle on the ball. Any throw to Rondale there is an easy pick. Nuk should've been the throw for a first but mostly poor play design and should be easier. Too many guys running to the same place and again defense only has to rush 4 and still getting really good push.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
These players are moving and closing as you watch this. It is no wonder you believe everyone is open. He will get a short completion here with the defender arriving when the ball does. You do realize the ball isn’t in the air at this point.

Yeah thats the whole problem. The ball should be in the air.

I'm starting to understand the "Kliff's scheme never gets people open" guys. Apparently you all think open means a 10 yard window.

urs

All Star
Reaction score
Are you Kyler's Dad? It would explain why you're such a homer and how you don't understand football.

"Kyler's dad is a QB coach" is one of the funniest jokes I've ever heard.
Did Kyler sleep with your wife? It would explain why you're such a hater and how you have zero clue how to watch tape and a very tenuous grasp on the very basics of football in general.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Solid tweet. So easy to criticize every player, every play, the HC, and the GM.

Yet - very few people know what they are talking about.

It would be interesting for cameras to follow people at their day job and critique every meeting, decision, conversation, etc.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
One other thing to note - defense is eyes up and in zone rushing 4 yet still getting decent to good push on almost all of these videos. That is a tough scenario for any QB.

Kyler needs to play better (the fumble was absolutely inexcusable) but to suggest he's not playing at a disadvantage due to playcalling and surrounding talent is flat-out bizarre.

urs

All Star
Reaction score
You're right there, his anticipation is the biggest problem I am seeing. But again that comes with coaching, study, and experience.

Lol, hitting Rondale means a throw right about here ~ 30 yards in the air over a DB/LB with two safeties lurking one if which has a much better angle on the ball. Any throw to Rondale there is an easy pick. Nuk should've been the throw for a first but mostly poor play design and should be easier. Too many guys running to the same place and again defense only has to rush 4 and still getting really good push.

Brit sees 4 yards of space 20+ yards down the field and thinks that's open, not counting in this specific scenario he'd have to get it over the linebacker and hope the deep safety gets distracted by a friend in the stands and doesn't break down on it for an easy pick, or that the safety right above Moore is in a great position to either break it up or get the INT himself.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well thats what I said. It's not an easy throw to Rondale and it should have been to Nuk.

It's a throw that Mahomes, Allen, Watson and probably Prescott and a bunch of other guys can make.

When you make these arguments about tough throws you talk like we are diagnosing rookie Kyler and not the 3rd highest player in the league in year 4.

If he can't make these throws why are we paying him?

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah thats the whole problem. The ball should be in the air.

I'm starting to understand the "Kliff's scheme never gets people open" guys. Apparently you all think open means a 10 yard window.
No that would not be me. KM will not stay in the pocket and let a play develop many times as he is not going to take the big hit like other QB’s. I don’t see many plays called having him roll out and buy time. When he throws on the run he is scrambling for his life. He is part of the problem but I see no replays of missed blocks, poor routes or just not running one. How much yardage do we gain on first down? We are always in a hole. Tough for anyone.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did Kyler sleep with your wife? It would explain why you're such a hater and how you have zero clue how to watch tape and a very tenuous grasp on the very basics of football in general.

My wife only likes tall men and his entry would be well off target. He'd end up humping her leg.

Just so you know you're going on ignore. You're 263 posts here so far have not contributed anything constructive to the group and frankly they are a bit of a turd in another wise peaceful oasis. As I have the option of not listening to you inane ramblings I'll take it.

urs

All Star
Reaction score
My wife only likes tall men and his entry would be well off target. He'd end up humping her leg.

Just so you know you're going on ignore. You're 263 posts here so far have not contributed anything constructive to the group and frankly they are a bit of a turd in another wise peaceful oasis. As I have the option of not listening to you inane ramblings I'll take it.
Hahahahahahaha, take your ball and go home!

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No that would not be me. KM will not stay in the pocket and let a play develop many times as he is not going to take the big hit like other QB’s. I don’t see many plays called having him roll out and buy time. When he throws on the run he is scrambling for his life. He is part of the problem but I see no replays of missed blocks, poor routes or just not running one. How much yardage do we gain on first down? We are always in a hole. Tough for anyone.

He doesn't roll out because he's not very good at throwing on the move. As evidenced by the one play here that he did it.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brit sees 4 yards of space 20+ yards down the field and thinks that's open, not counting in this specific scenario he'd have to get it over the linebacker and hope the deep safety gets distracted by a friend in the stands and doesn't break down on it for an easy pick, or that the safety right above Moore is in a great position to either break it up or get the INT himself.

This is 4 yards?

urs

All Star
Reaction score
This is 4 yards?

Again, you realize it takes time for the ball to travel from QB's hands to the receiver's, right? There is a safety RIGHT THERE looking at Kyler. Nearly zero percent chance of that being a completion and a great chance of it being a pick.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
And that’s a ludicrous statement. Oh poor coaching porch rafting have more to do with it. Yes Kyler needs an attitude adjustment and needs to do a lot to improve his game but I think that his team would magically be a Super Bowl contender with a different quarterback’s is ridiculous
No one is saying we would be a super bowl contender without Murray...that is you being dramatic. Kliff has his issues, most agree about that. This thread is about Murray's play on the field which he controls and is accountable for. Excusing his lack of execution, fundamentals, or blatant mistakes is laughable.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Again, you realize it takes time for the ball to travel from QB's hands to the receiver's, right? There is a safety RIGHT THERE looking at Kyler. Nearly zero percent chance of that being a completion and a great chance of it being a pick.
Remember defenders can't teleport but footballs thrown 40-50 yards can

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He doesn't roll out because he's not very good at throwing on the move. As evidenced by the one play here that he did it.
He can roll out, stop and throw. I have seen him make throws on the run and he has a strong arm. Rarely see the play designed to have him roll out. Would help with pass rush, him seeing the field and buying time for the play to develop.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson