Kyler Murray Going Forward Thread

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
The with Kyler's cap hit and the team currently around him I'm at the point where I'm thinking give him one more year. Try to maximize this years draft, hopefully a trade back or two with QB needy teams. Then use next year as his make or break year. If he performs well in 2024 then we're good. If he doesn't, then we'll be looking at a new QB who won't be joining a team with the cupboards bare.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The with Kyler's cap hit and the team currently around him I'm at the point where I'm thinking give him one more year. Try to maximize this years draft, hopefully a trade back or two with QB needy teams. Then use next year as his make or break year. If he performs well in 2024 then we're good. If he doesn't, then we'll be looking at a new QB who won't be joining a team with the cupboards bare.
but...kyler, with a few new toys...can prove to not be the guy while simultaneously placing us in a draft position that prohibits us from drafting his replacement without trading away years of quality picks.

we are in position to get a premium QB pick ...NOW... and Kyler needs to step up and prove we dont need to make that pick.

Because using our pick on a QB doesnt hurt us much when we still have the Houston pick followed closely by pick 34....we can draft a QB and still add good talent.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Kyler really isn't going anywhere. Besides all the money issues such as Mike swallowing $50m and using up all next years cap space to rebuild there's just no way JG is going to go from "Kyler Murray is awesome and he's our guy" to "We're moving on".

It would make him look like a joke as a coach and undermine is credibility in the locker room. And there's no guarantee that Maye or Williams are any better.

As far as risk/reward analysis goes it's far better for Monti and the org to stick with Kyler. It would be career ending to move on, eat $50m and end up worse.

I'd be amazed if it happens.

I'm still not convinced Monti truly believes Kyler is the future. Of course the orginization is going to publicly say Kyler is their guy right now. They would be foolish not to do so. I'm sure they are hoping that is the case. Let's be honest though that things can change quickly. Coaches and GMs often enthusiastically support someone in public until the very moment it's revealed they are going in a different direction.

If we have several more games though where the defense plays well above their talent level(at times) but the offense pretty much stinks and we continue to lose. Monti may have a tough decision to make.

He will be given the opportunity to build the team the way he wants most likely(although you never know with a Bidwill) and a different QB may be part of that. Either choice he makes is a risk, and if it fails, he likely gets fired in 3 years or so.

Granted, I'm often wrong about many things and perhaps they 100% believe Kyler is the long term solution.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm still not convinced Monti truly believes Kyler is the future. Of course the orginization is going to publicly say Kyler is their guy right now. They would be foolish not to do so. I'm sure they are hoping that is the case. Let's be honest though that things can change quickly. Coaches and GMs often enthusiastically support someone in public until the very moment it's revealed they are going in a different direction.

If we have several more games though where the defense plays well above their talent level but the offense pretty much stinks and we continue to lose. Monti may have a tough decision to make.

He will be given the opportunity to build the team the way he wants most likely(although you never know with a Bidwill) and a different QB may be part of that. Either choice he makes is a risk, and if it fails, he likely gets fired in 3 years or so.

Granted, I'm often wrong about many things and perhaps they 100% believe Kyler is the long term solution.
The Not For Long football league is all about what have you done for me lately. To date, Kyler has done nothing that benefits the organization.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll start it. I made this statement when we drafted him and I still hold by it, a high floor, low ceiling selection and so far he hasn't done enough to prove otherwise. What you see is what you get.

It would be difficult to find a statement I disagree with more.

He is wildly inconsistent vacillating between the best player in the league to always a yard short. This can happen just randomly during the game like someone fed him after midnight.

You must be registered for see images attach

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
but...kyler, with a few new toys...can prove to not be the guy while simultaneously placing us in a draft position that prohibits us from drafting his replacement without trading away years of quality picks.

we are in position to get a premium QB pick ...NOW... and Kyler needs to step up and prove we dont need to make that pick.

Because using our pick on a QB doesnt hurt us much when we still have the Houston pick followed closely by pick 34....we can draft a QB and still add good talent.
That's if you're really sold on one of these QBs being an upgrade. Right now I'd be really cautious on Caleb. I don't like a bunch of the mental aspects of him this season. Maye I haven't seen enough to say one way or another. So if we do it, we better be sure it's the right guy and we're not drafting a Trubisky.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There's a chance that Murray performs somewhere between "so bad that the Cards get a top-2 pick and need to take a QB" and "so good that the Cards are 100% convinced he's their franchise QB". In that case they probably wouldn't be in position to take one of the top two QB prospects, and perhaps not in range for MHJ.

I could see them trading back and accumulating draft assets for the 2025 draft, and planning to assess Murray further in 2024 with a better supporting cast and a full offseason and season to work on what he needs to do better in Petzing's system, while still keeping the option open to move on from him next season or offseason, when the cap hit would be much easier to stomach, or to use another bounty of draft picks to keep giving him the support he needs for the 2025 season.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
and planning to assess Murray further in 2024
If this is the mindset they have, then they might as well just draft Maye & get it over with it instead of wasting everyone’s time.

If “he’s so good the Cards are 100% convinced he’s their franchise QB”, there’s no further “assessing”. There’s no one foot in, one foot out thing here.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because I did the research and ran the numbers, then supported my numbers with a source. Thats how “evidence” works.

And I read the exact same thing from someone I trust on Twitter (not some random person, a well known analyst) which turned out to be accurate.

Not sure what your point is.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's a chance that Murray performs somewhere between "so bad that the Cards get a top-2 pick and need to take a QB" and "so good that the Cards are 100% convinced he's their franchise QB". In that case they probably wouldn't be in position to take one of the top two QB prospects, and perhaps not in range for MHJ.

I could see them trading back and accumulating draft assets for the 2025 draft, and planning to assess Murray further in 2024 with a better supporting cast and a full offseason and season to work on what he needs to do better in Petzing's system, while still keeping the option open to move on from him next season or offseason, when the cap hit would be much easier to stomach, or to use another bounty of draft picks to keep giving him the support he needs for the 2025 season.

This is basically how I see the rest of the season going.

There are going to be games where Kyler plays great and everyone is buzzing about it being settled and then he will have a game with 75 passer rating, 2 INT game and it will flip.

We won't pick high enough for Maye or Williams anyway. The Panthers suck and the Pats have decided to tank. The Giants only real winnable game is against the Pats on Sunday so they may well finish above us.

I think one more win will see us pick 4. Two more wins would see us pick 6.

I reckon

Panthers - 2-15
Patriots - 3-14
Cardinals 3-14
Giants - 4-13

Jet's might be tanking. I can't see them winning another game with Boyle at QB. Might end up picking 5.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Kyler really isn't going anywhere. Besides all the money issues such as Mike swallowing $50m and using up all next years cap space to rebuild there's just no way JG is going to go from "Kyler Murray is awesome and he's our guy" to "We're moving on".

It would make him look like a joke as a coach and undermine is credibility in the locker room. And there's no guarantee that Maye or Williams are any better.

As far as risk/reward analysis goes it's far better for Monti and the org to stick with Kyler. It would be career ending to move on, eat $50m and end up worse.

I'd be amazed if it happens.
I agree with this - any talk of them moving on from Kyler seems like a fantasy at this point.

I really wonder what a summer with Kurt Warner would do for Kyler.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
What the Cards are doing is about what I’d expect. Putting Murray under center for most plays would not have left him much of a comfort zone. I think these will gradually increase. When I posted about the previous lack of under center plays, someone quoted a percentage of under center plays from a previous season. I went back and reviewed a few games. Most of those were goal line, end of the first half and running out the clock at game’s end. Only a few were running specific plays and then they were mostly short yardage, options or rollouts. Dropping back to pass from the pocket was rarely done.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kyler Murray starring in the Cardinals equivalent of “The Curse Of Kirk Cousins” seems like this franchise’s destiny.
I'd question this take if half of this board wasn't actually advocating for that move back in the day. We didn't realize at that point it was already our destiny...

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Vince Young comes to mind
Vince Young was raised by a single mother in abject poverty. One of the concerns personnel people had about him was that he had no male role models in his life. They worried how he would handle fame and fortune. Their worries turned out to be true; Vince Young struggled to manage himself and his new found fortune.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What we have to realize ( and it’s hard) is that Kyler was brought into the league with a coach who allowed him to play sandlot college football. It was fun for a while but unsustainable.

We are not only watching this team go through a rebuild but we are also watching the rebuild of Kyler.

As fans we want to be the “ expert” and inform this site about why we should believe it will work or why you’re an idiot to believe it will work.

We are going to find out.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Oh, I agree and would be shocked if they "moved on". But, if he craps the bed in the next 6 games they will be screwed no matter what.
IDK. They are really playing the Murray option close to their vest.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
IDK. They are really playing the Murray option close to their vest.
As well they should. I'm sure they know what they are going to do and we'll see what it is after this season is mercifully over.