Everything wrong with Kyler vs Seattle Part II - Revenge of the checkdown

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your definition of wide-open is ridiculous. And yes they are trash playcalling because the place I’m not changed their poorly designed poorly executed by the entire team that goes to coaching.

In the lack of talent goes to the general manager.

Has Kyler regressed I’m not gonna say he hasn’t.

But to lay all the blame like you are on him on Kyler and pretend that Cliff is calling a great game shows a fundamental lack of understanding

Ok, what plays have I said someone is wide open where you think they are not?

Be specific.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Put the effort in or be quiet.

It's easy to say "He doesn't understand passing windows these are low percentage throws" when you can't even be bothered to be specific. You don't even have to leave the page.

A couple of plays. I nearly wet myself.

I'm only through the half and he's left about 120 yards on the field so far.
You must be registered for see images attach

If you think throwing a football 40-50 yards yards in the air to one of those two circled areas which is where the balls should go with the routes with where the defenders are located all of which have eyes on QB is an easy throw you're insane. You can't have 3 WR's within ten yards of each other that far down the field. Almost an impossible throw.

Ertz is probably the play but again 3rd and 15 and results in 4th down when he inevitably gets tackled short.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If you think throwing a football 40-50 yards yards in the air to one of those two circled areas which is where the balls should go with the routes with where the defenders are located all of which have eyes on QB is an easy throw you're insane. You can't have 3 WR's within ten yards of each other that far down the field. Almost an impossible throw

Well yeah. We've seen him do it before many times.

Are they as easy as a 6 yard checkdown? No. Are they NFL throws that a top 3 paid QB should be making regularly? Hell yes they are.

That is open. I didn't say it was easy. If playing QB was easy then I'd be getting paid $45m a year. If he can't make that pass with a minute left in the half why are we paying him?

And the rest is just made up nuts. The receivers know who will be targeted based on the safeties position.

Hopkins is the primary option if the safety stays up with Anderson as he is. If the safety came down to cover Hopkins then it would be Anderson.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you need to take a remedial reading comprehension course, I suggest you do so.

“It will likely hamper his ability to be elusive while running because he swings his arms around to help with balance.”

No remedial required that’s clear as day you making an excuse for him to hold the ball that way again due to possible balance issues…. Although 99.9% of football players tuck it in your body and they are just fine being allusive. Lol…. Smh what a joke.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Dback Jon Answer ONE question, please:

How is Kyler doing throwing down the field this year with a clean pocket?
He’s had very few clean pockets. Has he missed some throws, yes. But again when you have a trash on the line in a suspect receiving core combined with very few down field plays that are actually working…

Defenses have figured cliff out. And if you notice defenses that many teams are running well except for the Cardinals have taken away majority of long down field passes.

Other teams have adjusted their playcalling. Clueless cliffs has not

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“It will likely hamper his ability to be elusive while running because he swings his arms around to help with balance.”

No remedial required that’s clear as day you making an excuse for him to hold the ball that way again due to possible balance issues…. Although 99.9% of football players tuck it in your body and they are just fine being allusive. Lol…. Smh what a joke.
That is one thing that Kyler does very poorly and has not adjusted.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest laugh I’ve had all week is when you said Kyler has to carry the ball that way when he’s running to keep his proper balance. That was a doozy….

:biglaugh:
Yeah… As if the ball might over power him.

I mean, that’s where you just lose whatever credibility you have left as one of Kyler’s biggest fanboys.. That was going to ludicrous lengths to defend an obvious flaw.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Wrong again here, waiting a half second to hit Nuk on a post means pass delivered here. DB underneath was in a backpedal too so hardly a window there if Hop stopped in the zone. Safety uninterested in what's going on below so a post to Hop is a 1 on 3 pass and not the right read.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I mean, that’s where you just lose whatever credibility you have left as one of Kyler’s biggest fanboys.. That was going to ludicrous lengths to defend an obvious flaw.

Absolutely

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s had very few clean pockets. Has he missed some throws, yes. But again when you have a trash on the line in a suspect receiving core combined with very few down field plays that are actually working…

Defenses have figured cliff out. And if you notice defenses that many teams are running well except for the Cardinals have taken away majority of long down field passes.

Other teams have adjusted their playcalling. Clueless cliffs has not

I see you inhaled all the made up narratives the Kyler stans have come up with.

Define a clean pocket? His pressure rate is 24th in the league. That's the definition of a clean is no pressure.

If defenses have figured Kliff out why are there always open guys? If there are always open guys why would he need to adjust?

urs

All Star
Reaction score
The "analysis" is at minimum good for a laugh. But thats about it. I especially like the horribly designed bootleg where Ertz's route somehow takes him to mid field instead of the sideline and Kyler is supposed to throw back across his body, over the pile of lineman, between 4 defenders to squeeze it in there while on the run. What a missed opportunity!
Analysis like "This should be his first read" as if Brit has any clue what the first read is if Kyler doesn't throw it right away or look directly at someone. This is amateur level analysis at best...at best.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

When players make cuts to make somebody miss they are usually taking their balance to the limits and use their arms to compensate. That's basic human anatomy. Kyler has a very good track record of not fumbling the football on runs but had 2 unfortunate fumbles this year. It happens. Conversations have nuances. Not everything is black and white.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wrong again here, waiting a half second to hit Nuk on a post means pass delivered here. DB underneath was in a backpedal too so hardly a window there if Hop stopped in the zone. Safety uninterested in what's going on below so a post to Hop is a 1 on 3 pass and not the right read.

I'm not sure where you think Nuk is running but move that circle up about a CM to just inside the right hash and that's where the ball should be.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Analysis like "This should be his first read" as if Brit has any clue what the first read is if Kyler doesn't throw it right away or look directly at someone. This is amateur level analysis at best...at best.

On 4th and long with pressure coming and the clock running out you don't think the first read should be your WR1 running a quick out to the sideline to stop the clock and get a new set of downs? Please enlighten me as to what you think should be the first read.

Nuk is running the shortest route, he's the best WR, it's 4th down. You think he should be waiting on a long downfield throw with pressure coming?

urs

All Star
Reaction score
Sure. Your second example where you say pause at 5 seconds and list everyone that is open. That is good coverage and these players aren’t wide open. What you don’t recognize is the closing speed in an NFL secondary.
In fairness to Brit, he's assuming that the ball warps from the QB's hand directly to the receivers, so therefore "Open" makes sense. Unfortunately, here in the real world, that's not how passes work.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Then on 4th down we get this.

No doubt here that Beachum does poorly and gets pushed back into Kyler. But this is the 5th drive and so far the O line has been fine. I haven't seen any of this yet, I'm sure there is more to come.

Fumble aside by biggest issue here is Nuk is open for the first down and could go out of bounds to stop the clock.

It's 4th down. It's Deandre Hopkins. He's the only player going to the sideline. This should be the first read and the ball should be out as Hopkins breaks.

End of half

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
He definitely started down Ertz here, then again there was probably no play to Hop. Across the field out with Beachum getting steamrolled straight into him right in the throwing window and when getting set from his drop. Extremely high risk throw to Hopkins there. Conner was probably the safe play.

This offense misses a deep threat out of the slot badly by the way. Who's filling the Kirk role this year? That was Kyler's deep route safety valve last 3 seasons.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kyler is interior Oline dependent. And in college benefitted from wide splits on the Oline.

If you think throwing a football 40-50 yards yards in the air to one of those two circled areas which is where the balls should go with the routes with where the defenders are located all of which have eyes on QB is an easy throw you're insane. You can't have 3 WR's within ten yards of each other that far down the field. Almost an impossible throw.

Ertz is probably the play but again 3rd and 15 and results in 4th down when he inevitably gets tackled short.
If anything thats something he's gotta anticipate or manipulate. Of course thats dependent on his trusting the Oline as well.

That would be a terrible throw with safety having his eyes on Kyler leading him him there for 30+ yards. However, that requires protection and Kyler being savvy enough to pump one way or manipulate the safety into taking his eyes off the play.

I dont agree with Brit's screen shot analysis. I know some coaches who would laugh at it. However, I do think Kyler can do somethings to help generate open throwing lanes without DBs staring the play down.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
On 4th and long with pressure coming and the clock running out you don't think the first read should be your WR1 running a quick out to the sideline to stop the clock and get a new set of downs? Please enlighten me as to what you think should be the first read.

Nuk is running the shortest route, he's the best WR, it's 4th down. You think he should be waiting on a long downfield throw with pressure coming?
I'm pretty sure an out from the opposite hash as read 1 on 4th and short never happens.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

One would think an "obvious flaw" would expose itself frequently over a 4 season sample size. But Kyler has fumbled as a ball carrier at an extremely low rate. Some folks struggle to think beyond what they last saw on their television I guess. Recency bias might be the right term.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He definitely started down Ertz here, then again there was probably no play to Hop. Across the field out with Beachum getting steamrolled straight into him right in the throwing window and when getting set from his drop. Extremely high risk throw to Hopkins there. Conner was probably the safe play.

This offense misses a deep threat out of the slot badly by the way. Who's filling the Kirk role this year? That was Kyler's deep route safety valve last 3 seasons.
That is true. As of now Rondale is either a screen guy or a hitch guy. Kyler doesnt trust he can get it to him like Kirk over the middle and he's not a pure enough route runner yet to take the top off a defense.

Maybe Hollywood can, but he was more an outside guy imo. Either way we still need more from the QB.