Sorting the Wide Receivers; Part One

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
An additional question of importance is where will these players go in the draft. If we want Odunze do we need to use the fourth overall pick if that is where we are? How far back could we go and still get one of the top four? Who would be available with our second first?
Long gone by round 2. Won’t last until the Texas pick. If Cards stay at 4 you could chance going down a little but you could get burned.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Excellent analysis as usual, Harry. Would love to see the Cards get any of these four. Sadly, they may be all gone by our Texan's pick.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Long gone by round 2. Won’t last until the Texas pick. If Cards stay at 4 you could chance going down a little but you could get burned.
Thanks. All the talk about trading back if MHJ is gone leads to that question. You want one of the top tackles or even the #2 WR you are taking a risk.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Agree. If you want Odunze, he won't get out of the top ten.

Harrison is the best player, but Odunze is very likely to be a very good NFL WR in his own right. I think the comment about Odunze's fit being better is spot on and is why I'm bullish about him.

Look at how much he wins 50/50 balls. He's elite and is a blue chip player.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Agree. If you want Odunze, he won't get out of the top ten.

Harrison is the best player, but Odunze is very likely to be a very good NFL WR in his own right. I think the comment about Odunze's fit being better is spot on and is why I'm bullish about him.

Look at how much he wins 50/50 balls. He's elite and is a blue chip player.
Odunze in the first and Rice in the third would be a great double dip and should set us up at WR for a long time

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i see Odunze consistently ranked in the top 7 players

i dont get some of the angst i see about taking him at #4 (assuming MHJ is gone) -- do we really think draft rankings are that precise?

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

i dont get some of the angst i see about taking him at #4 (assuming MHJ is gone) -- do we really think draft rankings are that precise?
Agreed but if MHJ is gone then I would like Monti to trade back a couple of spots and then take Odunze.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed but if MHJ is gone then I would like Monti to trade back a couple of spots and then take Odunze.
But then we could lose him to the giants. I want one of the tackles but if we go wr I want a guy that Murray could just lob it up 2 if in trouble and that’s odunze

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But then we could lose him to the giants. I want one of the tackles but if we go wr I want a guy that Murray could just lob it up 2 if in trouble and that’s odunze
Giants oline is trash and their GM is old school so I think they are going OT.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Odunze in the first and Rice in the third would be a great double dip and should set us up at WR for a long time
If somebody doesn’t grab Rice in the second round.

football karma

Reaction score
Harry: a scouting question for you.

Do scouts believe that certain schools produce certain positions?

Im thinking LSU and WRs. Notre Dame and offensive linemen, etc.

and -- do you think its real?

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Harry: a scouting question for you.

Do scouts believe that certain schools produce certain positions?

Im thinking LSU and WRs. Notre Dame and offensive linemen, etc.

and -- do you think its real?
Absolutely! Always pay close attention to Penn St LBs. Want an OL? Look at
Michigan. Boston College was once in that mode, but they’ve fallen off lately. Need someone for the secondary? Scout LSU. All of this changes to some degree with coaching changes. Still recruits look at who gets drafted at their position and gravitate to those schools.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
So Nabers is the best YAC guy? A little better than MJH, or way better?

I think we want someone who can win a 50/50 ball, but we also want a guy who has the instincts and ability to turn a 8 yard out route into a 30 yard catch and run.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I'm starting to think that way, but I think it's also easy to underestimate the value of a high quality OT. Alt has All Pro potential...even if Humphries didn't get hurt, Alt still should be considered.

Odunze is good enough that he would be the best receiver in a lot of drafts. Big guys that.can move like him are very valuable. Look at Evans career with TB.

football karma

Reaction score
I'm starting to think that way, but I think it's also easy to underestimate the value of a high quality OT. Alt has All Pro potential...
it is a bummer that DJ got hurt the way he did

but -- if you apply K9's "who starts on the next Cardinal playoff team" test -- DJ probably didnt make the cut anyway

the WR group is deep enough that you can get one with the Texans pick in the 20s -- but at that point in the draft, the OTs are guys who might be guards

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
So Nabers is the best YAC guy? A little better than MJH, or way better?

I think we want someone who can win a 50/50 ball, but we also want a guy who has the instincts and ability to turn a 8 yard out route into a 30 yard catch and run.
I’d give Nabers a slight edge. Playing different teams makes it hard to compare.