With Warner for one year, do we take a QB at 8

football24/7

Registered
Reaction score
Since Warner is only signed for one year, did we tip our hand at drafting a QB @ 8. We will most likely have to do this dance again next year, with someone else. :shrug:

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
football24/7 said:
Since Warner is only signed for one year, did we tip our hand at drafting a QB @ 8. We will most likely have to do this dance again next year, with someone else. :shrug:

doubt it.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No. We still have Josh and Navarre. That is enough in terms of futures. Eitehr a RB or CB would be best.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily....They must draft either a RB or CB at #8 regardless... Plus, Navarre may very well develop into the Cardinals QB of the future.....

I'm wondering though (even though its too premature)....Which QBS will available during '06 FA? Also, how is '06 QB draft crop shaping-up?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
football24/7 said:

It certainly opens up that possibility. I'd guess one or the other of Kurt and Josh would get an extension during the season.

But, Green was never shy about bringing in one veteran after another at Minnesota. We won't take a QB just to take a QB.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If anything, the way FA has gone so far, we're tipping our hand at drafting a CB in the first. Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers just aren't worth it, IMO.

But perhaps this could be a sign we'll look at a QB on day one? Adrian McPherson? Charlie Frye?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
KLL said:
I'm wondering though (even though its too premature)....Which QBS will available during '06 FA?

Off the top of my head there will be a few QB's that will be UFA in '06:

Josh McCown
Kurt Warner

;)

blillyl

Reaction score
Yes, and next year Josh, John and Adrian will compete for the starting job.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Off the top of my head there will be a few QB's that will be UFA in '06:

Josh McCown

I hear that McCown kid has a lot of potential. Maybe we could turn him into Denny Green's next success at QB? :D ;)

1SG fan

Reaction score
I still believe the Cardinals should try to steal Craig Nall from GreenBay...... GB can't afford much, I think if we we got him Josh would be holding a clip board....JMHO

Bobcat

Reaction score
football24/7 said:

QB. Alex Smith if available...!!! If not a RB. and if not a LB. Johnson or if not CB. Rolle.

Now if Kurt Warner starts to have a great season thru end of october, sign him to a longer contract let us say 3 year. That way the QB we do draft will be able to develope the right way into a starting QB. We won't have to rush him along.

It is going to be pretty interseting on how good Big Ben will be this year...???

I hope he plays better, but by loosing his OL like he has thru FA he could turn out to be like Jake was after his OL was lost to FA.

Bobcat :wave: :p ;)

RobbleRobble

Hope springs eternal
Reaction score
I think we would absolutely draft a QB at #8 if it with the "best player available" theory. However, by #8 Alex Smith will likely be a brown and Rogers will likely be a 49er. So I don't think anyone will fit the bill at #8.

However, Adrian McPherson in the 2nd or possibly Charlie Frye or Andrew Walter would all be possiblities later on in the draft.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this guarantees we won't draft a QB. $1.4 mill to Josh McCown and $4 mill to Warner and having to eat Shaun King's signing bonus assures me that Denny thinks either McCown or Warner or both will play well enough to build a future on.

We have such critical needs at RB and CB, I think we'll be forced to address those in rounds 1 and 2.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm interested to see what Navarre can do but I sure wouldn't mind Alex Smith if he's available at 8.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
football24/7 said:

No will not happen. Next year San Diego will have to let either Brees or Rivers go so we could have an option with one of those. Warner may be good enough to be an effective QB for 4 years if all works out.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
football24/7 said:

Absolutely, positively not. We are now going to go with the hand we have.

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if we took a qb on the first day. It all depends on what Denny thinks of McCown on draft day and who falls to us in the second or third round. Regardless of the RFA tender amount, we can cut Josh with no cap implications if we decide to go with someone else as our qb of the future.

And if Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers is there at number 8, all bets are off on who we take in the first.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
I think this guarantees we won't draft a QB. $1.4 mill to Josh McCown and $4 mill to Warner and having to eat Shaun King's signing bonus assures me that Denny thinks either McCown or Warner or both will play well enough to build a future on.

We have such critical needs at RB and CB, I think we'll be forced to address those in rounds 1 and 2.

True, but we don't have to keep that tender on McCown. We can pull it back at any time until he signs. Not saying it will happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if we keep him. Nor would I be surprised if we draft a QB early or late. I would also be unsurprised if we don't draft a QB at all.

In brief, Denny has the leverage to do just about anything right now, and I can't predict what it will be.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If anything, if we were drafting for need, we'd be less likely to draft a QB at #8 because the cupboard is full.

If we're drafting for Best Player, we could conceivably draft A Smith or Rodgers, but (if Dennis is true to his philosophy) that decision would not be predicated on whether we signed Warner or any other FA.

Personally, I think Rodgers is overrated and I'm not fully confident that Smith is the real McCoy.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
If anything, if we were drafting for need, we'd be less likely to draft a QB at #8 because the cupboard is full.

If we're drafting for Best Player, we could conceivably draft A Smith or Rodgers, but (if Dennis is true to his philosophy) that decision would not be predicated on whether we signed Warner or any other FA.

Personally, I think Rodgers is overrated and I'm not fully confident that Smith is the real McCoy.

I have seen two different GM's in recent weeks Jeff on TV who stated that NFL teams are now going more to drafting to fill needs than drafting best player available. My opinion there is no clear cut answer to this. You need to balance your choice. If the BPA is clearly heads above any need you have you take him but if BPA is only slightly better than a player to fill your need you take the need. I do not think you go into the draft with the players listed on a chart as to ability and no matter what you take the guy you have listed as best player. You have to use the old head and use some experience and wisdom. In any case the BPA is purely a judgement call and may or not be the best player available. I think the Cards would be foolish to draft a receiver this year even if he was BPA.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not think we will draft a qb.

There are many reasons not to.

1. Obviously we now have Warner in addition to McCown.

2. Drafting a qb as a development project doesn't make sense. Isn't that why we drafted Navarre?

3. We are not a winning team...yet. Remember Dennis Greens history. Plug in a qb year to year, UNLESS the right guy comes along. Thats why he could afford to draft Culpepper.

4. I don't think this years crop of qb's are as good as some of the past. Green would not "reach" with the #8 pick. Had we been a perrenial playoff team over the last 5 years it would mean we don't have many holes to fill. In that scenario, if the right guy was there that would be a different story.

5. The possibilty of Warner having a very good year. The door would be open to bring him back. What if Warner goes off this year and throws 25 td's and we make the playoffs. I'd think that would be a very good reason to want to return and for the Cards to want him back. Success would breed happiness.

6. Brees may be available next year. On top of that what other qb's might become free agents? At this time last year did any of us think Drew Bledsoe would be a free agent? I'm sure Brees won't be the only one.

No QB please. We are going to draft a cb then a rb in that order unless 1 of the rb's , that being Brown, Benson, or Williams are still on the board. If that indeed is the case, I can see us going rb then cb.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
These two QB's are not elite franchise type QB's...IMO. They are on par with guys like Tim Couch, Kyle Boller, David Carr, and Akili Smith. I wouldn't want any of these guys starting for us and getting paid first round money.

We absolutely do not take a QB in rd 1 or 2. The only guy I see green looking at seriously is McPherson and hopefully that won't be until day 2.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I think it's unlikely that we'll take a QB in the draft, if one of the top-2 QBs is still there at #8 he might be hard for Denny to pass up. It probably means that all three RBs are gone, and at least one of the top-2 CBs are off the board. It might mean that a QB is the BPA, and we have a decision to make with need vs. BPA.

I still hope we take a QB in the second or 3rd, and go defense in the first round. But even a later round QB selection is unlikely, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard