With Warner for one year, do we take a QB at 8

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
We will draft one of the top 3 RBs this year in round one and a CB in round 2. Next year we will trade 2 number ones for Leinhart.

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
Don't forget we have Chris Lewis playing his second year on NFLE.

B/c the draft is so deep in RB, I say Rolle or Jones (CB) or D Johnson (LB) at #8.

Shaun King is definitely gone. Josh or John could also be gone by September.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not? At #8 it could be worth it. Morency or Gore at RB or Everett at TE could be available with the 2nd pick. All that being said, there is a gaping hole at CB and either Rolle or Jones will most likely be the pick.

P.S. By signing Warner does Brenda come along as a package deal?

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
We will draft one of the top 3 RBs this year in round one and a CB in round 2. Next year we will trade 2 number ones for Leinhart.

as long as Leinhart doesn't come out in a supplemental draft this hyear after the real draft. Where does that 2nd #1 pick come from next year?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
Where does that 2nd #1 pick come from next year?
Probably form the 2007 draft. I'd be cool with that if we could get it done (provided, obviously, that Leinart gets it done next year, too).

At some point we need to find a "blue chip" QB prospect I think. Both smith and rogers seem to me to be sort of "light-blue" prospects.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
There are so many RB's in this draft that you could go BPA and still get one somewhere that would be an upgrade.

I personally hope that we take Cadilac Williams and Sproles both.

The 2nd is where I'd look for a corner and maybe with our newly aquired pic from the Starks trade.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
Why not? At #8 it could be worth it. Morency or Gore at RB or Everett at TE could be available with the 2nd pick. All that being said, there is a gaping hole at CB and either Rolle or Jones will most likely be the pick.

P.S. By signing Warner does Brenda come along as a package deal?

Don't know if anyone will touch Everett in the 2nd. He was unable to even work out at his pro day due to shoulder surgery. How far will this make him fall?

If the surgery is supposed to have gone well, we may steal him in the 3rd. Who knows?

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
There are so many RB's in this draft that you could go BPA and still get one somewhere that would be an upgrade.

I personally hope that we take Cadilac Williams and Sproles both.

The 2nd is where I'd look for a corner and maybe with our newly aquired pic from the Starks trade.

The Starks draft pick is the last one in the 3rd.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No we do not draft a QB. Josh will be the QB of the futeure IMO.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
If we are able to trade Shelton for a 2nd, then we can use that pick to grab a QB like Orton or Frye, however there isn't a roster spot available. Assuming we cut King either Navarre or McCown will be let go. I don't think Denny wants to go into the season with a 2nd yr QB as the backup. I think we might wait until next year to grab a QB.

joko4

Registered
Reaction score
No way a QB first choice. Warner gives us the competition the young guns need. This year the offense will understand and perform the way it should. Warner will make the offense gel.
I do not know if he will start.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am being completely serious when I post that Josh will be the Card's starting QB of the future. Josh will start Games 3 and 4 of the 2005 preseason.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:
Well then, too bad you'll be sadly disappointed.

Or you will be. No skin off my back.

Stout

Reaction score
Shane H said:
Or you will be. No skin off my back.

I would have loved to have been proven wrong. I wasn't. Josh in no way proved he is or should be the QBOF this past season. Green doesn't think so either. He was benched in favor of a rookie 7th round draft pick, after being benched for a veteran nobody. Hopefully we'll draft a QB somewhere in the draft (Lefors, for my money), Warner will have a solid season, and either Navarre or the rook will eventually lead us to the promised land. Heck, if Warner lights it up, he may be the one to do it. Who knows? All I'm sure of is the fact that McCown is not the QBOF.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Josh in no way proved he is or should be the QBOF this past season.
I agree. But he hasn't proved he isn't or won't be our QBOF either.

Meanwhile e've got our "insurance policy" who (while we're waiting for McCown to prove something one way or another) (a) can provide us with "been there/done that" experience and leadership and (b) has a 50-50 chance of regaining his old magic.

Stout

Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Josh in no way proved he is or should be the QBOF this past season.
I agree. But he hasn't proved he isn't or won't be our QBOF either.

Meanwhile e've got our "insurance policy" who (while we're waiting for McCown to prove something one way or another) (a) can provide us with "been there/done that" experience and leadership and (b) has a 50-50 chance of regaining his old magic.

I don't know...he's shown he can't progress as a signal caller in many key areas, including ball security and the ability to find open receivers. That, to me, is proof he has shown he isn't our QBOF.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Stout said:
I don't know...he's shown he can't progress as a signal caller in many key areas, including ball security and the ability to find open receivers. That, to me, is proof he has shown he isn't our QBOF.

I am not ready to totally give up on McCown and ready and willing for Warner to be the guy this year but...just for arguments sake:

Steve Young's first two years in the NFL with the Yucs...

1985 3TD_____8INT_____52.2%_____21 sacks
1986 8TD____13INT_____53.7%_____47 sacks

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I think a lot of people are overcomplicating the Josh thing.

He got tendered like he should because he has potential. Green, unlike our coaches in the past, dosen't just play players for potential he wants wins so Josh is going to play or not play according to his performance as will any other player on the roster.

Josh will be our QB of the future if he should be and if not he won't.

It's not that tough.

Josh is like any other QB with his talent level, he's worth tweaking and messing with until you are pretty sure he's peaked out below where your minimum starter requirements are.

Then he's a backup for life or gone.

Some people act like he is a plauge that must be gotten rid of right now or we will die.

I think if he was that awful or that useless Green would have decided not to tender him at all or at the least trade him for almost nothing.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
I think everyone is totally missing the boat on the Josh thing.

He got tendered like he should because he has potential. Green, unlike our coaches in the past, dosen't just play players for potential he wants wins so Josh is going to play or not play according to his performance as will any other player on the roster.

Josh will be our QB of the future if he should be and if not he won't.

It's not that tough.

Josh is like any other QB with his talent level, he's worth tweaking and messing with until you are pretty sure he's peaked out below where your minimum starter requirements are.

Then he's a backup for life or gone.

agree.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warner played his last year in St. Louis injured. Last years Giants line was so piss poor and Tom Coughlin didn't care. Warner can throw that deep ball as well as anyone. I'll take him over any scrub currently on the Cards.

Just leave Brenda home.

Stout

Reaction score
Let me offer my opinion on Josh's tender. He was tendered the level he was not because Green has that much confidence in him, but because, at the time, we had no other QB options other than Navarre. King has already failed. Navarre may turn out to be good, but he's still quite young and is an unknown. If we let Josh go at that point, we'd basically only have Navarre to rely upon.

Now that we have Warner in the fold, all of this may change. Who knows? Only time will tell.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison