What is it going to take for Kyler to stay our QB??

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
opinions abound. I been thinking on this and I dont see a way he stays in Arizona. At least the chances are slim.

He has to win his way to staying and he has to do it with a poor compliment of supporting players... why?? Money.

Kyler got the bag... but he got the bag when the cupboard was basically bare of any serious talent. But sadly his contract isnt friendly to signing guys around him... interesting enough... his 37m base salary for 2024 became guaranteed on the fifth day of the league year this year...2023... and every years salary from here on out guarantees on the fifth day a year in advance... and much of his guaranteed money comes in the form of yearly 90 man roster bonuses.. so while he is well paid,... the contract has lots of flexibility for anyone trading for him... the biggest suck is, we take an 81mil cap hit next year...and we have to do it before the fifth day of the league year to avoid paying a 12m roster bonus.

if we suck...and texas suxx... we end up with two picks in the top 5 Kyler is gone....if we are decent, say... pick 8....but texas suxx... Kyler is gone. Just a guess but IMO any type of top 2 pick and he is gone. His best bet to stay here is that both we and the texans pick outside the top 5...so it is not easy for Monty to trade into a top 2 pick.

because IMO when being faced with a highly paid QB who has been up and down for 5 years and still hasnt proven he can carry a team through the playoffs...

or a rookie QB, one bad cap hit followed by a couple seasons of QB cost control.... I think Mike cuts his losses on Kyler, eats the cap hit and gives Monti a couple years to build around Maye or whoever

so if you really want to keep Kyler, you better be praying he is lights out and gets us near 7-10 while the Texans shock the world and win 6 or 8 also. Because if he plays well enough to get us to 5 or 6 wins and the texans suck...all he did was help his trade value.

what do you guys think?? If we end up with picks 2 and 5 or 6... is Kyler still here?? or is he gone?

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Even if we get pick one and two he could still stay. His massive salary would be offset by having a cost controlled QB for at least 4 years. They could let whichever QB you like learn for a year behind Murray. Not saying it would not be a distraction but it is feasible. Then if Murray shows promise you can trade either QB you wanted to.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Even if we get pick one and two he could still stay. His massive salary would be offset by having a cost controlled QB for at least 4 years. They could let whichever QB you like learn for a year behind Murray. Not saying it would not be a distraction but it is feasible. Then if Murray shows promise you can trade either QB you wanted to.
agree...and the cap hit from a trade drops by about half. I would be all for it despite the distraction. Teams just dont seem to want to place any emotional pressure on their young QB these days

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Wow, that is an excellent question. I don't think we as fans have a way to quantify this. My thought is that the team has an idea of what they don't want to see, and if they don't see it and we get the top pick, they'll move on. If they do se it, he will stay regardless of where we pick.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I have shared that I believe it will be very tough for the Cardinals to pass on the best QB in this class if they wind up at #1 unless something significantly changes with the progressing of these top college QBs. It may not be impossible if Kyler looks really good when he comes back but I don't know that the offense will have the talent or the scheme for him to do so.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
QB hungry teams will covet Murray and he’ll have value. Hell, the Falcons were rumored to want him this year.

Hope he plays great. That will increase his trade value or he’s the guy.

I can see the new regime wanting their own guy. Caleb to Marvin is a nice start.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
QB hungry teams will covet Murray and he’ll have value. Hell, the Falcons were rumored to want him this year.

Hope he plays great. That will increase his trade value or he’s the guy.

I can see the new regime wanting their own guy. Caleb to Marvin is a nice start.
Seems the way they constructed the roster this year that is their hope.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lots of variables.

If we end up with the number one pick and he plays mediocre to bad he's gone.

If he plays well and we get the number 1 pick - it will depend on what his trade value is.

If we end up with the 5th pick or lower and he plays just mediocre, I think he stays.

PlayerHater

Veteran
Reaction score
If Caleb is available to us then Kyler will be on his way out the door. Kyler should have value on the open market as long as he does not poo the bed this season.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Murray will be back no later than week 4. The only way he isn’t back next year is if he has another major injury.
Do you have information about the injury not reported? I haven't read anything remotely definitive and wouldn't be surprised if he's back week 4 or 14.

He's also not going to be back if he's not good enough. It's kind of unfair on him, coming off a major injury, but it is reality.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have information about the injury not reported? I haven't read anything remotely definitive and wouldn't be surprised if he's back week 4 or 14.

He's also not going to be back if he's not good enough. It's kind of unfair on him, coming off a major injury, but it is reality.

I think he will be back week 5 when he can be activated off the PUP list assuming he is ready. However I think they hold him out for 2 weeks to practice with the team before starting him in week 6.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To stay the Cardinals quarterback, I think Kyler will have to learn to be comfortable as a pocket quarterback.

It's hard for me to imagine but maybe he can adapt.
I'm not sure I fully agree. I think the Cards are going to run boots, waggles etc to move the pocket and give Kyler throwing lanes from different angles.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I would say the scenario in which he stays is if he's back after week 4-6 and has at least four lights out performances, with no majorly atrocious ones, especially if those look like a combination of lack of preparation, bad attitude, or the knee just not being there.

The two secondary factors here are if we're not at the top of the draft with our picks, or the QBs that have been given so much hype fall off significantly, especially before we can truly evaluate them.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I fully agree. I think the Cards are going to run boots, waggles etc to move the pocket and give Kyler throwing lanes from different angles.

Whatever works. I'm not looking for Kyler to take off and run like he used too.