Week 9 of the Arizona Cardinals off season. 3/04/24-3/10/24

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Not over the moon. At this point the Cardinals are probably better off spending 10 million each on 3 defensive players than making a big splash on one. But if they pull it off I'll be surprised and hopeful they know more than I do.
I disagree. We have way, way too many JAGs. We need actual impact players. This roster is bereft of those.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
I don't see us signing any of the top tier free agents like Christian Wilkins that will be getting $20-$25MM per year. I do see us signing 3-4 second tier free agents at the $10-$15MM level. There's a big difference between "second tier" top 50 free agents and the crap that we signed last year to league minimum 1 year contracts. I'm talking about signing 3-4 Kyzir Whites verses one Jaylon Johnson or Christian Wilkins. I'll take three or four of the following for our defense:

DJ Reader
Grover Stewart
Josh Uche
Stephon Gilmore
Kendall Fuller
Kenny Moore
Chase Young
Bryce Huff
Andrew Van Ginkel

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Teams can begin negotiations with free agents next Monday, March 11, at 12 p.m. ET, and players can officially be signed by new teams on Wednesday, March 13, at 4 p.m. ET with the start of the new league year.

Buckle up ladies and gentlemen! It's about to get interesting!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't see us signing any of the top tier free agents like Christian Wilkins that will be getting $20-$25MM per year. I do see us signing 3-4 second tier free agents at the $10-$15MM level. There's a big difference between "second tier" top 50 free agents and the crap that we signed last year to league minimum 1 year contracts. I'm talking about signing 3-4 Kyzir Whites verses one Jaylon Johnson or Christian Wilkins. I'll take three or four of the following for our defense:

DJ Reader
Grover Stewart
Josh Uche
Stephon Gilmore
Kendall Fuller
Kenny Moore
Chase Young
Bryce Huff
Andrew Van Ginkel
It's not an either-or. We have the flexibility to do both.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We really can't do both. There's a limit to the cap dollars available. Currently the Cards have about $55MM in cap space and our defense needs lots of new starters, as well as quality back-ups and money to sign the rookie class.
They could still do it… there is a reason you see team signing 3 top dollar big name FAs in one off season and people keep screaming “HOW” it’s all how it’s structured. It 100% without a doubt could be done with no problem.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We really can't do both. There's a limit to the cap dollars available. Currently the Cards have about $55MM in cap space and our defense needs lots of new starters, as well as quality back-ups and money to sign the rookie class.
DJ Humphries is as good as gone and that frees up like another 14 or 15 million.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is good. A write up on the top 100 FA's and estimated contract values. I think it's pretty realistic.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This seems a good stat to steer clear of. Lots of busts on this list. Nico Collins the only one that's worked out so far.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, it is smart to add top end NFL talent. It would not have been a cap issue this year or next year. It doesn't prevent the Cardinals from drafting a WR at 4. You are acting like a WR room of Evans, MHJ, Wilson, Dortch, Moore and a mid round draft pick would have been bad.

Your mindset is the definition of institutionalism.
We are a young rebuilding team, signing a 30 year old who expects to start and feels entitled to a bunch of targets would be counter productive.

We don't need that many receiver's eating up cap space either. With McBride - we already have a legit number 2 target. No 4 pick, Wilson, Moore and Dortch should more than fulfill our needs as there won't even hardly be playing time for anyone else.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We are a young rebuilding team, signing a 30 year old who expects to start and feels entitled to a bunch of targets would be counter productive.

We don't need that many receiver's eating up cap space either. With McBride - we already have a legit number 2 target. No 4 pick, Wilson, Moore and Dortch should more than fulfill our needs as there won't even hardly be playing time for anyone else.

When your rebuilding you have to buy some of the materials.

Evans would be awesome for Kyler and worth every penny.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They could still do it… there is a reason you see team signing 3 top dollar big name FAs in one off season and people keep screaming “HOW” it’s all how it’s structured. It 100% without a doubt could be done with no problem.
This.
It's not that it can't be done, it's that they choose not to do it.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
another kick the tires

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jamal Adams has a $20m dead cap hit. That was a terrible deal.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Jamal Adams has a $20m dead cap hit. That was a terrible deal.

Good will slow them down getting competitive again.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn