Week 3 of the Arizona Cardinals off season. 1/22/24-1/28/24

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Forget it. I’m over trying to educate people on concepts about which they are obviously not equipped to understand. Yes, pass on the 5th tackle. You do you, Mensa.
Yeah, cause you’re the smartest guy in the room. If there was an Ogden or Pace talent in this class, they would be in the top three conversation. But there is not.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yeah, cause you’re the smartest guy in the room. If there was an Ogden or Pace talent in this class, they would be in the top three conversation. But there is not.
Maybe. But it's very possible the top 5 tackles in this draft are better prospects than the top guy last year.
So getting the fifth best guy in 24 can help a team more than getting the top prospect in 23

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You aren’t understanding the concept I’m talking about. That’s okay, you don’t have to. I’m pretty sure pro GMs do. If they don’t they likely aren’t GMs for long.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I’ve never understood this line of reasoning. What if this is an unusually talented class and the top 7 guys are all Tony bosellis and Orlando Paces and the 8th guy is a Jonathan Ogden? Run to the podium and take that 8th place Ogden all day every day.
The problem that fans have is they think of football players like objects that have objective traits. Scouting is mostly an art with science sprinkled in.

There are numerous examples of the fifth best player being the best in their class. Just this year, Puka Nacua was an All Pro and he was like the nineteenth ranked receiver on a lot of boards.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The problem that fans have is they think of football players like objects that have objective traits. Scouting is mostly an art with science sprinkled in.

There are numerous examples of the fifth best player being the best in their class. Just this year, Puka Nacua was an All Pro and he was like the nineteenth ranked receiver on a lot of boards.
But even if he’s fifth in this class that’s not a demerit as some of these guys are making it out to be. What if it’s an extraordinary tackle class? What these five end up being the five best in the nfl? Getting the fifth guy means you have the fifth best guy in the nfl at his position.

And the fifth best guy at one position can be WAAAAAY more talented than the best guy in another position in any given draft of the draft class happens to be heavy in one position and weak in another. Some of our posters are making the statement that they’d rather have the best X rather than the eighth best Y in this draft class without even knowing how talented the X or Y classes are considered this year. That’s just not smart.

And note, I’m using “X” and “Y” because apparently if I use names people think I’m saying the 8th best tackle in this class is Jonathan Ogden - :doi: - which IS not what I’m saying and has ZERO to do with the discussion.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
But even if he’s fifth in this class that’s not a demerit as some of these guys are making it out to be. What if it’s an extraordinary tackle class? What these five end up being the five best in the nfl? Getting the fifth guy means you have the fifth best guy in the nfl at his position.

And the fifth best guy at one position can be WAAAAAY more talented than the best guy in another position in any given draft of the draft class happens to be heavy in one position and weak in another. Some of our posters are making the statement that they’d rather have the best X rather than the eighth best Y in this draft class without even knowing how talented the X or Y classes are considered this year. That’s just not smart.

And note, I’m using “X” and “Y” because apparently if I use names people think I’m saying the 8th best tackle in this class is Jonathan Ogden - :doi: - which IS not what I’m saying and has ZERO to do with the discussion.
I read one scout say that Sedric Van Pran is a way better center prospect that John Michael Schmitz or Joe Tippmann was from the 2023 draft.

At the end of the day it's all the human element and it's difficult to make a real determination on rankings made by people with little inside information.

And you are 100% correct. There are some position groups in some drafts that are just filled to the brim with talent while other positions have little talent. I think the 6th best receiver is a better football player than the best running back. The 4th best WR is probably better than the best cornerback. It really is that good of a WR class.